What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

My only experience with EPI is a pair of M60s I refoamed. They are on duty as the kitchen speakers.

View attachment 1230399 View attachment 1230400

I have never seen any woofer with the surround atop the gasket. I would think at best, the voice coil would sit forward in the gap, reducing useable excursion. It could also indicate an overall botched surround replacement, where the voice coil might be rubbing etc. I think I recall discussions about whether to replace bad surrounds on some EPI with foam or rubber. If foam was original, and rubber used to replace, it would likely affect the sound, even if done perfectly. How does it sound to you?
This pair does not sound as good as my foam ones. I'm thinking I should pull the rubber surrounds. This pair of 100's has the same masonite inverted dome tweeters as your 60's. Oh and the manuf. date on them is 1981. If I am correct these woofers should be matched up with a newer tweeter.
This set is a M100. Usually came with rubber surrounds and masonite tweeters. Also has an attenuator on the tweeter but I bypassed it.

Anyone seen something like this before. It's the woofer in a pair of EPI 100's that just don't sound as good as my other 2 sets. Anyway the rubber surround is on top of the frame spacer. Did EPI ever do this? My other EPI's have foam surrounds with the spacer on top of the foam.
View attachment 1230320 View attachment 1230321 :dunno:

I can’t claim to be a speaker expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I’ve never seen the surround on top of the spacer like that. Makes me wonder if a previous owner (or unscrupulous shop) took the quick and dirty repair path. JMHO

y794q40sc14a.jpeg

Rattlesnake Rock ‘N’ Roll • The Best Of Blackfoot

Wowee!! Lee you sure got a lot of speakers. :)
You must really like M100.
The last two pair were picked up in a trade. I had a pair of those little Andrew Jones Pioneer bookshelf speakers they I disliked. I wanted them gone so I gave them to a guy and waited for him to dig a pair of 100's out of his garage. He through in a pair of Boston HD 10's to sweeten the deal. They were scratched up and drivers and passive radiators needed refoam. So when he finally dug out the Epi's from the garage I was disappointed in the visual condition. So I gave him an extra $40 and got 2 pairs instead. Turns out that the Bostons sound so good after rehab that they are now my preferred speaker in the house.( I posted the rehab here in past pages:))
To top it off I'm now rehabbing a pair of Advent Legacy's:crazy:

Great haul, John! I never invested in those disc changers, always read they would get stuck. I could not imagine my cds getting stuck in them.
A long time ago, Aiwa came out with a 100 disc tower changer that was well reviewed and inexpensive. I got one. About when the warranty expired, it jammed. It was a chore to extract the discs without damage. It never worked again.

These magazine changers could of course jam, but I think that would be similar to a single-disc player jam, not too hard to get the disc(s) out.

Back
Top Bottom