Luxman Rx-102 Servoface / Suck face repair info help please?

Virtually non-repairable? I've probably repaired 5-6 and after a new belt and properly adjusted, the worthless retractable face plate works as good as new. I don't have time to dig into the 3 I have here that need repair, but when I do I'll post more pics to my original thread....
Hi
I also re-belted mine but I can't seem to adjust it. Help1

that Dalbani 44-0821 belt you mention....I assume that is not for the suckface servo correct....for the actual tape drive itself? I have a KX-101 that needs both tape deck belts and the servo belt for the suckface mechanism. both deck belts have completely disintegrated and I cannot get a measurement on them. the servo belt is tiny and very well stretched out. Does anyone have measurements for all three that I can source from Dalbani?

Dalbani 44-0821 is for the suckface servo. Unfortunately, I don't know the size of the belt for the tape mechanism. Mine was working at the time so I didn't need to replace it.
So far the Dalbani 44-0821 is working fine in both my KX-102 and RX-103. I try to run them a few times a week to keep them working.

Appreciate the response. I would like to believe that the KX-101 would be the same size as the 102 and 103....but is there any possibility it is different? I ask because that dalbani part number comes up as a 21mm inside diameter and a 0.8mm thickness (square). My measurement as the thickness correct at 0.8mm, but my inside diameter is showing about 37-38mm. I would expect it to have stretched out, but that is a 16mm difference that scares me.

21mm diameter does stretch a bit. However, I tried 24mm previously, and it had too much slack; it fit around the pulleys without coming off, but had almost no tension and I could spin the motor pulley while holding the larger pulley stationary. Assuming the same belt, 37-38mm would be significantly stretched out. My original belts were so stretched out, they would no longer fit around the pulleys.

The original factory belt was .08x22mm . This I remember from a job way back in the 90's. The smaller belt won't cause any harm, a little strain on the front bearing bearing of the motor, however, this little motor does so little work that it could hardly be measured. The belts are the same for all suck face models, ie: LX-RX-KX. Work carefully with the motor as the terminals are known to be wek.

Over a year and a half later, the suckface mechanism on my RX-103 receiver is still working great with almost daily use with the inexpensive Dalbani belt.
My KX-102 on the other hand, has been having problems. The motor appears to have a bad spot. The 2-way limit switch is fine, I've checked resistance of it in both positions. Voltage is getting to the motor, but there is no load. Motor resistance around 5k-ohms. I stuck a pin in a vent hole in the back of the motor and rotated the armature a few degrees which made the motor come to life. Now the suckface works, but it has happened before and it only works for a few days, I guess until the motor stops on the bad spot and won't start up again. I'd guess it's caused by oxidation on a commutator. Has anyone sourced a suitable replacement motor, or dismantled the original motor and managed to clean the commutator? Pics of the motor apart would be great if anyone has some.

Someone told me that there is a button on the front of the LX-104 that can turn off a permanently running motor. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

You need to get a few more! Then you can do them "assembly line" style and when you average the time for doing all of them "per unit" will seem much shorter.:D Plus the learning curve isn't wasted on doing just one.

Here is my waiting room.... RX-103, LX-104, RX-102, RX-101:yes:
P1120793Large.jpg

Hi,

I have replaced the belt with a regular cheap dvd player belt which is a little thicker but it works fine.

Testing the motor was easy with a 9 volt battery holding against the motor connections

My question:

When connected into the amp, when turning on the amp the motor runs the face back and forth! Anyone ever had that as well and advise why that could be happening ?

Regards, Bart - The Netherlands

PS suckface series are very rare over here in Europe

Yes; usually that means the tiny limit switch (it's a leaf or snap switch, there are pics of one here om AK somewhere) that's attached to the gearbox has broken or gotten disconnected. Or, the whole mechanism wasn't reassembled correctly so that the switch can stop the motor when it's supposed to.

John

Yes; usually that means the tiny limit switch (it's a leaf or snap switch, there are pics of one here om AK somewhere) that's attached to the gearbox has broken or gotten disconnected. Or, the whole mechanism wasn't reassembled correctly so that the switch can stop the motor when it's supposed to.

John

The strange thing John is that the switch seems in perfect condition, I cleaned it in the untrasound, and it can only be mounted in one position as there is a small peg on one side of the plastic base of the leaf switch that fits only in one way (i think...)

Assembly/timing issue maybe? The mechanism should only run back and forth and not continue past the fully in or fully out positions so if it's running in and out it suggests the switch isn't being allowed to do its job. I can't remember the details for timing the gearing mechanism though, been too long since I had one in front of me.

John

Thanks for the recommendation of the Dalbani part...got my LX-104 servo partially working...didn't reinstall the apostrophe-shaped gear in the right place so the "off" is offset from where it should be. Lots of little details in this project, unexpected but workable.

Just an addendum to this thread.

I just resolved two of these and 3D printed the belts using NinjaFlex.

Contact me if anyone needs one.

Super easy, super fast.

Now I just need the microswitch!

Cheers

Hi Bobbly Bob
I am not sure if I am the one that stopped responding, just got busy with other stuff.
I cannot view the pics you posted else I could have assisted.
Judging from the views of other members, you struggle to get supplies. In South Africa we do not have that problem (not yet anyway) you are over paying for belts and motors. I paid the equivalent of 92 US cents for the belt and the motors cost me about 3$ each. I can organise the belts and I have about seven motors available for whoever needs them.
If I can view the pics I can help.

Thanx

Dangee

Back
Top Bottom