Music server was infected by virus

you're asking a W10 user, who may or may not know he can change the password at the login screen
to completely switch over to Linux to either: 1) solve his problem with some unspecified software or
procedure to unlock a drive when the original problem is a bad password (unlocking the drive is
not the problem), or 2) switch use of W10 for music playing to yet another OS that he has no knowledge,
experience, or training on?

and my many relatives who are all over 70 cannot master Android, Apple, Windows portables, laptops,
servers, or C++ programming so my derivative conclusions are no less counterfactually ambiguous or correct.

or do you mean all 79 YOs can master Linux just because brexit adds IQ points. or they live in the UK?
(I love british speakers, emi/decca LPs, and the occasional British conductor)

and if this is the case, then Chrome devices are 100x better since there's no installation needed/required
(nor picking from over 200 distributions not including the foreign language-only versions) and you just power it on.

the poor OP. my suggestion is to change the password at the login screen.

and what, pray tell, is the Linux answer?

if you take a Boot/non-boot drive off a Windows system, the original credentials do not allow
you to access the drive. has nothing to do with passwords, in fact change the passwords
and you will continue to be able to access files created before, during, or after the password
change. or eliminate the password. you can still access all the user files.

but take that drive off the original system and mount (NAS), add via sata connection, or USB
connect and you will have a problem accessing the drive. has nothing to do with the password
of the original Windows login password.

it is the ownership and permissions of the drive under the new system that prevents file access.

in fact you do not need any passwords original or new. buy a used drive off ebay and try the following:

use the computer management/storage menu and when the drives show up. click on the new
drive, doesn't matter whether it's bus attached (IDE, SATA, M.2, scsi, fire channel, firewire, USB)
or wifi'd in (a la crazy western digital protocols).

then right click and change ownership then permissions to "everyone" and select the option to
traverse down the folder hierarchy. takes a few seconds. far faster than installing Linux.

then you have access to files on that drive. NO PASSWORD needed. in fact, change passwords
to Windows every 5 minutes during this operation and see if it affects the process.

in fact I have this very problem with 2 laptops and 2 desktops with the very SAME login username
and password. ONE PASSWORD. I upgrade one drive, cannot see it in any other system unless
permissions and ownership are changed. However, USB drives initially formatted as such can be
universally used among and between systems due to its ownership and permission being "everyone"
(or having every system entered into the permissions ACL).

so the main point to all this is password protection may work with some systems it can be bypassed
(in fact, read the code in some of these apps and watch what they do with ownerships, permissions,
ACLs, etc) and hint/hint government forensic tools bypass everything I stated above.

bottom line. like home, stock, car, diamonds, and now files, you cannot access/use until you have owner
ship and permissions (power of attorney) and passwords are like keys, readily changeable and changed.

I can't help with how to fix the OP's issue, but I'll say a couple of things;
1. If it's a shared computer, and this is the type of issue you're looking at because a non computer person is installing dirty apps, they need to be removed from having that privilege.
2. A serious look at your security setup needs to happen.

Also, just for giggles, any chance the caps lock is on, or the keyboard got changed to another language accidentally?:D

I have a few different Linux-based programs burned to CD's I can break into any Windows PC with in a few minutes. They all function differently. I made them when I was doing IT for the radio station. I have all of my own PC's set up to backup weekly to a master image file plus the operating system is on a separate SSD on all of them so all storage data is on spinning rust hard drives. At the worst I lose a few days of updates if I have to do an OS reinstall from the image file and that only takes a few minutes. Backups are essential, Acronis True Image is my personal favorite.

What is the options out there except for a clean reinstall?
In your current state, I cannot think of a really good one. On an ongoing basis, however...

I use a separate drive for the OS than for data. Primary reason is speed - I use a smaller SSD for the OS and spinning rust for the data. You can achieve the same isolation on a single drive by partitioning. I use Macrium software to capture image files. I can restore my OS image in about twenty minutes. I had to do that once following a Windows update!

I no longer fret or worry.

One reason why I run dual drives here ... one for OS and software, the other strictly data ... The OS drive is cloned, so it's a simple swap to get back up and running. I seldom install new software, so only tedious part would be waiting for a couple years worth of WindOHs patches and updates to happen. Once that's all done, wipe and re-clone the "bad" drive and put that back in storage.

Same here. Another good practice is to copy or backup important files to an external drive. I do both and have always been able to restore such files on new PCs with no problems. I figure if I spend so much time ripping CDs or purchasing digital music I want to be able to make sure I can use it. Same with important work and personal info. There are some really good external drives that do not cost much or if you have extra drives, around making your own works as well.

Don't know if mcgrayhou has unlock his computer . I'm repeating, I don't support any reinstall system, and It's going to cause a lot of damage,At least for me .
There are some guides that you can try :
Login Microsoft account :https://account.live.com/password/reset
Using CMD : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command-line_interface#Command_prompt
https://www.iseepassword.com/how-to-crack-my-windows-password.html
These guidelines seem to have been found on Google , has anyone tried it?

Don't know if mcgrayhou has unlock his computer . I'm repeating, I don't support any reinstall system, and It's going to cause a lot of damage,At least for me .
There are some guides that you can try :
Login Microsoft account :https://account.live.com/password/reset
Using CMD : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command-line_interface#Command_prompt
https://www.winpwd.com/
I know some freeware for password cracking,but most of the time,i don't use them.Computers are upgrading all the time, and I can't make sure they're upgrading as well.

Back
Top Bottom