Not DAC but instead ADC?

dfunghi

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a feeling I am asking a dumb question but here it goes.

IS there a mid-fi version of a set up that can run between my pre out or amp to convert LPs into digital or do I need to make a CD or SD copy first and then add that manually via Macbook?

I know crappy USB TT exist but I want to play my LPs on my AR TT.

I run a CJ PV1 > MC2205 but I also have a Holman Apt I can employ. Both pre have phono stages I like and pre out and Holman has Tape out as well.

TIA,
D
(your digitally ignorant, analogue brother)

Try a Behringer UCA-202/222. It's a USB device that works as a DAC and a ADC. Connect it to a tape loop (in and out) on your preamp and a USB connector on any PC. Treat it like a tape deck. It's only real caveat is that it does 16/48 as its maximum. It costs <$30 @ Amazon.

The UCA-202 is Silver colored. The UCA-222 is Red. I have a UCA-222. However, on the back of the case the molded in model number says UCA-202.

As I think you understand, the analog signal from your TT must be converted to digital. If your computer has an audio in connection (such as for a microphone), I think you can use its built-in ADC and Audacity software to create digital music files. Audacity also allows for separation of tracks (they would otherwise be one continuous file) and noise reduction (clicks, pops, etc). The quality of the digital file will be dependent upon the capabilities of your computer's ADC.

I am not a Mac expert, but I know the Macbook Pro does not have an apparent audio in port. However, I discovered that the headphone jack can serve this purpose; to do so, you must change the port from out to "in" via the Sound menu in System Preferences. You would connect from Tape Out of your preamp (RCA) to the headphone port (stereo miniplug).

You mentioned the idea of creating a CD first, and then ripping it onto your computer. How would you do that? If you have a CD recorder, this is certainly an option...but CD recorders are a bit ponderous to use (especially if you want to separate each song into an individual file). However, I assume Audacity or similar software can be used for this purpose instead, making it a bit less of a hassle.

+1 on the Behringer UCA202 ... tops out at 48/24, but does a fine job for Redbook quality rips. That's what I used for ripping all my vinyls to digitals ...

( :) )

** One thing to note - there's a tiny little monitor switch on the back. If you think you've got it hooked up right and can't hear anything, flip that and you should be good to go.

Hopefully my question to the digital experts here will be helpful to the OP as well...so here goes:

What is the benefit of a something like the Behringer unit vs the ADC in one's computer?

You mentioned the idea of creating a CD first, and then ripping it onto your computer. How would you do that? If you have a CD recorder, this is certainly an option...but CD recorders are a bit ponderous to use

Yes I have a Tascam CDRW 900 that does a fine job. I had to buy it (long story). A local fellow had a nice stack (couple dozen) of NM LPs from the early 70's late 60's but had not had a TT in many a decade. He said I could have the LPs for the cost of burning him CDs but he was insistent it not be through a computer or any type of MP3. So I went out and bought the Tascam. Since then I have copied a few of my more favorite LPs onto CD to play in my truck.
(especially if you want to separate each song into an individual file)
Yes, you have to be close enough with the remote (non RF) to hit a button to separate tracks. It has an auto feature for 2 seconds of silence but any noise (the slightest crackle) will negate it. I typically make side 1 track 1 and side 2 track 2. The Tascam does have a way to hook up a keyboard and enter all kinds of data on disc if desired.

I used to have a nice HK dual well CD burner but it is long gone (after a couple attempts at repair).

I have a nice Pioneer CD burner, with many bells and whistles, but it requires the use of "music CDs", which are hard to find and expensive.. So I haven't used it in a long time.

When I did use it to burn vinyl to CD, I too just recorded a full side at a time. I never noticed any decline in sound quality moving the music from CD to my hard drive. Having individual tracks would have been nice for playlists, but I recorded about 75 LPs to CD during the time the Pioneer burner was in use.

Now I just go from preamp to computer.

Hopefully my question to the digital experts here will be helpful to the OP as well...so here goes:

What is the benefit of a something like the Behringer unit vs the ADC in one's computer?

IME most PC's (especially laptops) do not have much in the way of an ADC. If anything, they have a microphone input which is almost always mono. If a PC has a line in connection it has a stereo ADC. Just about all have a DAC. Otherwise, the headphone jack wouldn't work. Of course if you use an add on sound card (internal or external) you'll most likely have a combination DAC and ADC.

FWIW: Behringer also makes the USB connected UFO-202 which is a DAC and ADC while having a built in phono preamp. With it you connect a TT to it and the Behringer to the PC and record direct to whatever HDD you have available. sKiZo is correct about the UCA-202/222 doing 24/48. It comes with a copy of Audacity for the actual recording process. In any case Audacity is available as a free download.

Last edited:
IS there a mid-fi version of a set up that can run between my pre out or amp to convert LPs into digital...
I guess that depends upon your definition of "mid-fi". I use an HRT Line Streamer which is most definitely not "high end". It sources from the tape out of my preamp attached via USB to a laptop running Audacity.

Depends. If that computer already sports good onboard-sound hardware or a good soundcard, a UCA202/222 might even be a downgrade. So in such a case the only benefit would be more flexibility, as you could easily use a UCA202/222 alternately with more than one computer. For serious recording, however, one might rather want to use something that offers a proper input level or respectively gain control still on the analogue side - in which case onboard-sound hardware is completely out and at least reasonably priced soundcards, that would offer that (typically in combination with an external module or an internal one for the drive-bay), have become pretty rare. Whereas there are quite a few external USB sound-interfaces with that feature, like for example the priceworthy Behringer UMC202HD or the popular Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 (2nd gen.) or the Steinberg UR22(MkII).

Personally I rather record with my little Sony PCM-M10, though.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Best I've tried is the Schiit JIL. Far better than my previous Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 gen 2 or Creative SB1240 external card. In a whole different class of performance actually.

I do have a Behringer UCA404 though haven't tried it for this purpose.

I think some of the stereo Tascam interfaces are decent. For $$$ I've a Ross Martin ADC (SPDIF output only) which seems very good. The RIAA preamp will matter. I've not heard of Schitt's "JIL" which at $199 fills a niche -plus nice to hear its a fine performer. Many years ago I noticed what went into my old PCM 501ES never made it back out without loss in A-B comparison - same for dubbing vinyl later on with my M-Audio "Audiophile" - the recording lost depth, detail and "sheen". Does JIL hold up well on the monitor vs playback when dubbing vinyl records? Do you make hi-res dubs? - or stick to Redbook?

Last edited:
Been running the Behringer 222 for a while now, can't think of a compelling reason to upgrade. The vinyl is used, and varies in quality and I have a difficult time telling the difference a/bing the recording from the actual vinyl..

There are a few things I find annoying about the behringer. It introduces a slight noise in my otherwise dead quiet system when it is on (but not in use) although no such sound in the recordings. I don't use it for a DAC much so I just keep the USB power disconnected.

Also handy for doing room voicings if you're into that sort of thing. Paired it up with a calibration mike and REW software, and you're good to go.

rta-eq-setup.jpg

PS ... dayton has since come out with a USB version of the EMM6 mike that doesn't need the phantom power provided by the mixer ...

Oh. And this is the "monitor" switch I mentioned earlier. Make sure that's on.

behringer-uca202-monitor.jpg

I had a Xitel INport ADC (discontinued) - can sometimes be found with a nice 30 foot RCA stereo cable for less than $20 and featured galvanic isolation as had input transformers. On a Right Mark test, I noticed it peaked ~6dB @20Hz - then a rolloff below.. (A Xitel representative confirmed that response) It sounded fine.

- have a "Phonorama" laying around somewhere - didn't seem to have
any dynamics plus its tone was "thin"

aV6iqvH.gif

Last edited:
I have a feeling I am asking a dumb question but here it goes.

IS there a mid-fi version of a set up that can run between my pre out or amp to convert LPs into digital or do I need to make a CD or SD copy first and then add that manually via Macbook?

I know crappy USB TT exist but I want to play my LPs on my AR TT.

I run a CJ PV1 > MC2205 but I also have a Holman Apt I can employ. Both pre have phono stages I like and pre out and Holman has Tape out as well.

TIA,
D
(your digitally ignorant, analogue brother)
https://www.psaudio.com/products/nuwave-phono-converter/

I like my PS Audio NPC.

The best ADC is not cheap. But worth it. As you can have your favorites conveniently available. But a good Tascam SD recorder like my $60 used DR-07 has a superb ADC/DAC built in. And makes the digitizing easy. And you can easily transfer the finished workflow to your PC or MacIntosh and use your editing or declicking tools of choice, or even use it with your linux box as I do. And Audacity is fine, and 24/96 no problem. This machine or something like it might just be what you need as an easy way! This beats a USB turntable every time, in every way, and lets you use your turntable/cartridge/tonearm of choice. So, no excuse now. The results I get from my Tascam is as good as AudioScience broadcast grade tools. Affordable, convenient, and superb. So there's a solution for you.

The best ADC is not cheap. But worth it. As you can have your favorites conveniently available. But a good Tascam SD recorder like my $60 used DR-07 has a superb ADC/DAC built in. And makes the digitizing easy. And you can easily transfer the finished workflow to your PC or MacIntosh and use your editing or declicking tools of choice, or even use it with your linux box as I do. And Audacity is fine, and 24/96 no problem. This machine or something like it might just be what you need as an easy way! This beats a USB turntable every time, in every way, and lets you use your turntable/cartridge/tonearm of choice. So, no excuse now. The results I get from my Tascam is as good as AudioScience broadcast grade tools. Affordable, convenient, and superb. So there's a solution for you.

I have been eyeing the Marantz PMD series of SD (CF) recorders for a long time, now might be a good time to pull trigger. I think going the extra step (LP>SD>HD) won't badly degrade the SQ and is likely easier than trying to get my Macbook connected to a device and that device connected to my system without a major balancing act of equipment and cables. The PMD 570 are not hard to find but finding a gently used one is the trick as they are old.

Back
Top Bottom