All I did was ask ....

Garage sales with stereo gear are few and far between here.
The last two I went to I did ask "is there any other stereo stuff you might be willing to part with".
Never hurts to ask.

Garage sales with stereo gear are few and far between here.
The last two I went to I did ask "is there any other stereo stuff you might be willing to part with".
Never hurts to ask.
Agreed I just got off the phone with a lady selling a 1953-55 Sears Silvertone 3065 console and I had to ask here if there were any other Stereo related items that she wanted to sell because most of the ones that have the old stereos speakers etc stored away in their garages attics basements sheds etc feel they have no value and they would never think of even trying to sell them because of this. I have had countless people wander into a local record store that once they seen something for sale there say hey I have one of them one fellow seen a Pioneer RT-707 R2R player and said he had boxes of old reels at home turns out there was roughly 4k ebay value in the tapes he sold me for $300.00

Regards Snow

I guess you could do that after you take all the parts off of the board. I wouldn’t do it. I’ve heard of the same technique for dealing with Apple laptops with liquid spilled on them. Not doing that here.

Btw, I recently got a nice 737 too. I prefer how it looks to the 1250 or 1980. Mind you, I’ve never had one of them so my opinion is biased.

The 7 series by Pioneer is their most attractive .
I too remember the dishwasher thread
Below the non working 1010 -angled
And the restored one

Is the protection circuit the likely culprit ? What else do you check ? Am signal is there .

Attachments

• 4E5122D1-7998-4E35-95C7-535CF032EF53.jpeg
    4E5122D1-7998-4E35-95C7-535CF032EF53.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 5D4122F1-D78E-48DD-B567-8B2347A5D6FA.jpeg
    5D4122F1-D78E-48DD-B567-8B2347A5D6FA.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Agreed I just got off the phone with a lady selling a 1953-55 Sears Silvertone 3065 console and I had to ask here if there were any other Stereo related items that she wanted to sell because most of the ones that have the old stereos speakers etc stored away in their garages attics basements sheds etc feel they have no value and they would never think of even trying to sell them because of this. I have had countless people wander into a local record store that once they seen something for sale there say hey I have one of them one fellow seen a Pioneer RT-707 R2R player and said he had boxes of old reels at home turns out there was roughly 4k ebay value in the tapes he sold me for $300.00

Regards Snow

They say sometimes you make your own luck.
I get the impression you've worked hard and made lots of connections as well.
I know you are in AK, do you have much "competition" where you are?

Lol. Yeah really .

I have a 737 that looks like the 636 pictured below . It plays just as good as the 1010. My 1010 currently gets little to no use . It has become an expensive eyepiece . But I like owning it and occasionally it finds its way into the rotation . And that happens maybe once yearly.

It’s just so rare to stumble onto these.
I’m gonna take it out of my car now and have another look
So you prefer the sound of the 737 over the 1010? I have never listened to one before so cant say which is better sounding to me. They are a very pretty receiver for sure. I prefer the sound of quite a few different brand receivers that are low powered compared to the TOTL ones so it would not surprise me if you said yes.

Regards Snow

They say sometimes you make your own luck.
I get the impression you've worked hard and made lots of connections as well.
I know you are in AK, do you have much "competition" where you are?
There is no competition in my town no one is buying or selling vintage gear or audio gear at all other then car stereo stuff and I only know of 2 other people here that know or care what a decent system is or sounds like all'though there is likely more.

There are a few guys roughly 350 miles away from me that always has some ads selling vintage gear but being a 700 mile round trip they are not my competition and I am sure they feel the same way as I do.

Regards Snow

I’m starting to get more people contacting me with gear. I give them a fair price and they get rid of that old junk and get a few bucks to spend. I think it has to do with how many views my ads have had (I keep a changing list up at all times) and the fact my passion for audio shows through. Most vintage audio sounds pretty good when matched with the right gear. It is just a question of finding that combination and convincing someone it is worth their while to see me first. Once they are here, they rarely leave empty handed.

If Tektronix washes the gear they receive for repair, there isn't anything wrong with using a water rinse. A dishwasher might be too much but it generally won't hurt.

It was interesting reading about how Tek cleaned the gear. The picture showed overhead manual spray nozzles that they used to flood the gear with water and then some agitation and a rinse before the unit went into a drying oven for 24 hours or so. This left the equipment clean and dry ready for the next steps in their operation.

With the proper drying and careful selection of soap for a dishwasher, I don't see how they would do much damage to most circuit boards if they are properly dried after the rainstorm. Not like the individual components are open to the weather.

If Tektronix washes the gear they receive for repair, there isn't anything wrong with using a water rinse. A dishwasher might be too much but it generally won't hurt.

It was interesting reading about how Tek cleaned the gear. The picture showed overhead manual spray nozzles that they used to flood the gear with water and then some agitation and a rinse before the unit went into a drying oven for 24 hours or so. This left the equipment clean and dry ready for the next steps in their operation.

With the proper drying and careful selection of soap for a dishwasher, I don't see how they would do much damage to most circuit boards if they are properly dried after the rainstorm. Not like the individual components are open to the weather.

I've had to wash equipment in water before and had no ill effect. I'm not sure any other way to get 30 year old baked on sticky drink off of a board.
I've actually been taking apart and soaking console switch assemblies for my Porsche customers who can't seem to not spill Starbucks in them every week. I charge a lot less to clean them out than it would be to replace and recode them.

What can't get washed with soapy water?
depends on the soap. Dishwasher detergent seems more aggressive than dishwashing liquid which is used by hand and not machine. The former might be a bit too much for some metal parts. The latter not so much. I use electronics cleaning chemicals, isopropyl alcohol, water and whatever else seems to do a good job. Been happy with the results of getting things wet, letting them dry.

Dishwashers use abrasives to basically sandblast the dirt away. Dish detergent can also be very corrosive, ate right through the outer jacket on UF wire, then through the oil and gasoline resistant inner insulation, then ate right through the solid 12awg conductors inside, took about 3 months. Not the best wire pulling lube lol.

I would make sure every last bit of detergent was rinsed, then rinsed again. And when I thought it was really rinsed, I would give it one more lol.

I have an restored 850. That and the restored 1010 are the go-to' s. The 850 wins. Sorry This old 1010 will get some attention, though.. I bought it to give it a new life.

Non working gear can become a shoulder weight when you have enough up to date units. It used to be about listening to records. Now it's the means of playing them. And like Ohighway said somewhere else, I don't listen much anymore. But I like to know the stuff is there when I need it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom