Sansui G8000 S.O.S.

Vanbo73

My G8000, has developed a small issue. I've lost sound in the left channel on AUX. Now this only occurs in stereo. If I switch to mono, both channels work. I tried cleaning the switch but it still does not work.

Does anyone know of a 'Good' Sansui tech in the North Alabama area? I'm probably going to have a full restoration or whatever the tech recommends.

Hello! First of all its going to take more than cleaning that one switch. You'll need to get some deoxit D5 and pull the covers off the G8000 and get in there and clean everyone of the switches on the receiver.

Signal is always going through everyone of those switches regardless of whether they are being used or not. Spray the deoxit into the contacts of all the switches and pots and work them back and forth. Recheck after the unit has dried off and see if it has the channel back.

Yeah, he's asking for a tech, but....
Cleaning the switches and controls in the G8000 is a big job, you have to actually dismantle the unit substantially to access the switches.
Just quirting deoxit D5 in there does not solve the issue, it will possibly give you a temporary band aid, but the problem will always come back.
The Alps switches that Sansui and Pioneer used, have silver plated contacts, after 35 years, there is a lot of black tarnish on those contacts, squirting deoxit in there can dislodge and/or soften some of this tarnish which can foul the contacts sometimes...
So....I prefer to remove the switches and dismantle them, you can use a piece of paper soaked in deoxit to clean the spring loaded contacts, then I use a fibreglass brush with deoxit to remove the black tarnish. You do not want to use anything too abrasive as you will remove the silver coating, and you really don't want to do that.
After you have deoxited the switch, you then need to apply deoxit SN5 (shield) which lubricates and protects, just using Deoxit DN5 only leaves a fresh surface ready to oxidise once its dried out.
It is quite the mission, I have done this to every amplifier I have restored, and my own, except my G22000 which I need to do.

Once this is done, the unit will sound great, it improves the quality of audio as well as stops the drop-outs...

If you care a careful methodical person you might be able to do this yourself, you need plenty of patience though.

I've already dismantled and cleaned (deoxit) as much as I'm comfortable with. I'm much more confident working on a 7.3 diesel than a 40 year old reciever. If anyone knows of a capable person in the North Alabama area I would appreciate it.

Only on AUX? If not, check the pre/main switch on the side of the unit. Switch it back and forth a few times and see if that helps.

Rob

I have a G8000 and my pre/main switch was a real PITA. It took numerous cleanings with Deoxit and Fader to get it cleaned up. I also added a dose of Caig Shield, at the end, so the issue would not return. It has been three years and still running fine.

I have a G8000 and my pre/main switch was a real PITA. It took numerous cleanings with Deoxit and Fader to get it cleaned up. I also added a dose of Caig Shield, at the end, so the issue would not return. It has been three years and still running fine.
I keep telling people, Always use SN5 Shield!!

Deoxit Instructions.jpg Especially here in Florida where I live. The humidity is pervasive. Deoxit only might last a year, if you are lucky. Shield or Gold following a Deoxit treatment is a necessity everywhere.

View attachment 1236227 Especially here in Florida where I live. The humidity is pervasive. Deoxit only might last a year, if you are lucky. Shield or Gold following a Deoxit treatment is a necessity everywhere.
We have the humidity issue here in the North Island in New Zealand, horribly humid in the summer. So the same issue with corrosion as you have.
Do it right, do it once....

Only on AUX? If not, check the pre/main switch on the side of the unit. Switch it back and forth a few times and see if that helps.

Rob
Yes. Only Aux stereo. Mono works. I'm sure it's the switch. I'm just afraid of making things worse.

So none of the Tape Monitor inputs work?
Have you tried working the switch on the side CONNECTED/SEPARATED. These are notoriously unreliable.
The other one is the tone defeat switch as well.
You just have to work all the switches and find which one it is that causes the problem...

I found the problem. The receiver was fine. The RCA jack had pulled out from the back of the Amazon Fire box. Not sure why that would have occurred. Strange things happen while i'm at work.

Back
Top Bottom