What PUNK Rock Album Are You Hearing Now !!!

I need to get a decent camera. It's great to see fellow punk enthusiasts here on AK!
Yes, it is! Some of those old punk albums were recorded in a way that lets you really hear the instruments, but then again some are awful sounding. That’s punk rock though. I’m 42 now, and have always loved punk rock and always will. It was what I was raised on!

Yes, it is! Some of those old punk albums were recorded in a way that lets you really hear the instruments, but then again some are awful sounding. That’s punk rock though. I’m 42 now, and have always loved punk rock and always will. It was what I was raised on!
Punk and new wave are my roots too.:king:

Punk and new wave are my roots too.:king:
Yeah, man. Totally. Pixies are my favorite band of all time. I actually just picked up a sealed U.K. 1st press from ‘88 on 4AD of “Surfer Rosa” from Acoustic Sounds. The original sounds much better than the MoFi and of course the reissue.
I’ve got all the Pixies MoFi releases, and don’t get me wrong, they sound superb, but the original pressings sound better. More definition, better Soundstage, blah, blah. You know what I’m getting at. Haha!
I also love Bad Brains, Bosstones (earlier stuff), and Morphine.

What’re your 3 favorite bands?

Yeah, man. Totally. Pixies are my favorite band of all time. I actually just picked up a sealed U.K. 1st press from ‘88 on 4AD of “Surfer Rosa” from Acoustic Sounds. The original sounds much better than the MoFi and of course the reissue.
I’ve got all the Pixies MoFi releases, and don’t get me wrong, they sound superb, but the original pressings sound better. More definition, better Soundstage, blah, blah. You know what I’m getting at. Haha!
I also love Bad Brains, Bosstones (earlier stuff), and Morphine.

What’re your 3 favorite bands?

Man, at this point it would be impossible for me to pick 3 favorite bands. My tastes get broader and keep on changing. I love the Pixies! Finally got to see them when they got back together in 2004? The show kicked ass! I have some sweet Pixies pressings, but can't f#@%ing find them! My organizational skills suck, and if I put a record out of order, it seems to be lost forever. Your post made me want to put one on, so I'm still looking

Last edited:
Man, at this point it would be impossible for me to pick 3 favorite bands. My tastes get broader and keep on changing. I love the Pixies! Finally got to see them when they got back together in 2004? The show kicked ass! I have some sweet Pixies pressings, but can't f#@%ing find them! My organizational skills suck, and if I put a record out of order, it seems to be lost forever. Your post made me want to put one on, so I'm still looking
Yeah, my Pixies record collection is very nice too. I actually saw them in the 90’s on the Doolittle tour, and every tour after that. My father used to work with Kim Deal’s ex-husband, John Murphy. They were still luckily on good terms.
He’d hook me up, and I was able to meet them on numerous occasions. If you look in “Surfer Rosa”, it says “Mrs. John Murphy”.instead of Kim Deal. I feel extremely lucky and very fortunate to have been able to do that. It was amazing. I’ve got a lot of signed Pixies stuff too because of it.
What do you have for nice Pixies pressings?

Yeah, my Pixies record collection is very nice too. I actually saw them in the 90’s on the Doolittle tour, and every tour after that. My father used to work with Kim Deal’s ex-husband, John Murphy. They were still luckily on good terms.
He’d hook me up, and I was able to meet them on numerous occasions. If you look in “Surfer Rosa”, it says “Mrs. John Murphy”.instead of Kim Deal. I feel extremely lucky and very fortunate to have been able to do that. It was amazing. I’ve got a lot of signed Pixies stuff too because of it.
What do you have for nice Pixies pressings?

Great story! Yes, I would say you're very fortunate to have experienced that. I found two of my Pixies records-Come on Pilgrim and Doolittle. I think Surfer Rosa's at a friend's house. I am very disappointed to report that neither is an original issue...I was sure Doolittle was. Turns out they are both 180g re issues from 2004. Discogs links here and here. Oh well, they both sound great, and I'm giving them a spin right now. Anxious to check Surfer Rosa, as I've had it a lot longer....but not since 1988. What about yours?

Great story! Yes, I would say you're very fortunate to have experienced that. I found two of my Pixies records-Come on Pilgrim and Doolittle. I think Surfer Rosa's at a friend's house. I am very disappointed to report that neither is an original issue...I was sure Doolittle was. Turns out they are both 180g re issues from 2004. Discogs links here and here. Oh well, they both sound great, and I'm giving them a spin right now. Anxious to check Surfer Rosa, as I've had it a lot longer....but not since 1988. What about yours?
Because I’m so Pixies obsessed (Haha!), I’ve got the 4 Pixies MoFi releases, the ‘04 reissues, and 1st pressings of each album too. I recently picked up a sealed U.K. 1st press of Surfer Rosa too, which is hands down the best sounding pressing of that particular album, btw. I was pretty blow away at how amazing it sounds. I’ve also got a bunch of the 12” singles, the 10” Death to the Pixies box set, and a bunch more I can’t remember. Haha! Needless to say, because they’re my favorite band ever, I’ve picked up a lot of great Pixies vinyl over the years. The best sounding copy of Doolittle is definitely the promo / audiophile pressing, which can be found for like $40-$50 on Discogs. It’s probably the fact that they were already my favorite band, and then I got to meet them and hang out a bunch of times (the first time being when I was only 15 or 16) that made me love em all the more. I’d love to pick up the Minotaur set too, but it’s pretty pricey at like $400 minimum. It was either that or The Beatles mono box set a few yrs ago, and I figured I had enough Pixies stuff for now, so I picked up The Beatles set. Man, this hobby is expensive but extremely rewarding. I’d much rather listen to a record than watch TV anyway.
Sorry to babble on like that! Haha
- Nick

Because I’m so Pixies obsessed (Haha!), I’ve got the 4 Pixies MoFi releases, the ‘04 reissues, and 1st pressings of each album too. I recently picked up a sealed U.K. 1st press of Surfer Rosa too, which is hands down the best sounding pressing of that particular album, btw. I was pretty blow away at how amazing it sounds. I’ve also got a bunch of the 12” singles, the 10” Death to the Pixies box set, and a bunch more I can’t remember. Haha! Needless to say, because they’re my favorite band ever, I’ve picked up a lot of great Pixies vinyl over the years. The best sounding copy of Doolittle is definitely the promo / audiophile pressing, which can be found for like $40-$50 on Discogs. It’s probably the fact that they were already my favorite band, and then I got to meet them and hang out a bunch of times (the first time being when I was only 15 or 16) that made me love em all the more. I’d love to pick up the Minotaur set too, but it’s pretty pricey at like $400 minimum. It was either that or The Beatles mono box set a few yrs ago, and I figured I had enough Pixies stuff for now, so I picked up The Beatles set. Man, this hobby is expensive but extremely rewarding. I’d much rather listen to a record than watch TV anyway.
Sorry to babble on like that! Haha
- Nick

Hey, don't apologize for talking about music on a music forum. Your story is a good one! I didn't even know the Pixies existed until 1990 or so. I had just flunked out of college and been dumped by my girlfriend so I decided to move to SLC Utah with an old friend of mine. He had a room mate who was obsessed with music. This guy worked at a record store and turned me onto to Pixies, Camper Van Beethoven, mc5, Television, and about a million other bands I had been missing out on. I tagged along with him to the infamous Raunch Records record store under the overpass, and went to the even more infamous Speedway Cafe for live punk shows. We spent a lot of time smoking grass, playing chess, and listening to music. Looking back on it, that was a good year, and that dude changed my life musically. We're still in touch. It wasn't until a couple years later that I really delved into the Pixies, and fell in love with them.

Back
Top Bottom