RSL Max speaker project.

Ramseybella

AK Member
Picked these up with the pair of Ohm PRO 16 speakers the other day.
I still don't exactly know what model these are but do come close to looking like the Max series minus the front
mid-range.
As you can see they need help, the good thing is all speakers work and the L-Pad's function as they should.
Lots of vacuuming and scraping no mouse house. One dust cone was pushed in pulled it out with a fastener pin.
Best it can get unless i cut the cap and replace it, I've never did one before.
Prepped the 12" woofers for surrounds and getting ready to hit the cabinets with the Mouse sander.
Good news nothing is deep past the veneer or any chunks taken out so these should come out looking decent.
I lost one badge moving them can't find it i will have to back track to Salvation Army. But my luck it's gone.
They are made of pot metal so the other badge just popped off.
Grill covers where black foam long gone, deciding what cloth to use when all the rest is complete.
Looking at the caps they seem to be clean and no cause for concern, but anyone want to chime in and give me a good direction on what caps to replace them with? I have been using Dayton Audio caps from PE and been happy with the results.
Wiring? I don't know but since they lasted 40+ years why bother.

L2.jpg
L3.jpgL4.jpgL5.jpgL6.jpg
L7.jpg
L9.jpg
L10.jpg
L11.jpg
L12.jpg

NIce. I recently picked up a 2-way set of RSL speakers too and they turned out to be the Monaco model. Not those though. the woofer on mine is 8" and while it is a white cone, the surround is the accordion type.
They are unfortunately lacquered so refinishing is a little tougher.

No markings on my caps so I can determine values unfortunately, but there are two yellow oval shaped ones which those on yours appear to be as well so maybe the same. I contacted RSL and Howard himself got back to me.

Working on the finish, coming out fairly well a few deep nicks of course on the top.
Watco Danish oil finish easy.
Will have pix soon after #2 cab is done.

That is really interesting to see those particular dome tweeters used on an RSL model as I have never seen that before and I've been a fan of RSL speakers since the mid 1970's. Those tweeters were used in some Jensen models in the 1970's, some Speakerlab models, and in the Rectilinear Models 5 & 7, and other brands such as Sylvania.

It's easy to identify early series RSL models as the connection plates give the address of "Van Nuys, CA" whereas RSL moved the speaker factory in the mid 1970's to Canoga Park where the later series models, such as the 3300 were assembled. The early series models were typically made in much smaller quantities and for shorter periods of time than the later series models and turn up for sale far less often.

RSL used good quality cross-over capacitors and they probably do not need to be changed unless they were over-driven to the point of failure.

Finished cabinets need to do a little black touch up, get a wood filler stick for some exposed wood and keep basting them with oil for the next few days.
As you can see one of the top's has deep scraps and gouges, couldn't sand anymore or i would be burning through the veneer.
I have some brown shoe polish rub it in with the danish oil to darken the top of the one speaker, it's way lighter than the other.
I'm happy so far.
Next the grill covers.
Stickman thanks for the info.
Pete

L13.jpg
L14.jpg
L16.jpg
L17.jpg
L18.jpg
L19.jpg
L20.jpg

That is really interesting to see those particular dome tweeters used on an RSL model as I have never seen that before and I've been a fan of RSL speakers since the mid 1970's. Those tweeters were used in some Jensen models in the 1970's, some Speakerlab models, and in the Rectilinear Models 5 & 7, and other brands such as Sylvania.

It's easy to identify early series RSL models as the connection plates give the address of "Van Nuys, CA" whereas RSL moved the speaker factory in the mid 1970's to Canoga Park where the later series models, such as the 3300 were assembled. The early series models were typically made in much smaller quantities and for shorter periods of time than the later series models and turn up for sale far less often.

RSL used good quality cross-over capacitors and they probably do not need to be changed unless they were over-driven to the point of failure.

Look sort of like SEAS domes but not exactly.
I may pull one out and check.

Howard confirmed that these are second generation Max speakers. Forgot to ask about the tweeters. Picked up black grill cover material at Joan’s fabrics $6.99 a yard. I was surprised that they carry it. These originally had the funky foam.

Last edited:
Howard confirmed that these are second generation Max speakers. Forgot to ask about the tweeters. Picked up black grill cover material at Joan’s fabrics $6.99 a yard. I was surprised that they carry it. These originally had the funky foam.

Just email them to inquire about the tweeters and he will respond. He did me.

So far they sound great, not as good with loud complex music but Jazz, Acoustic, classical and vocals shine.
My room is not big enough and so it maybe not enough to breath, as well as surrounds are fresh.
Never the less they are working fantastic, so far less than 10 hrs invested and $30.00 including speakers.
Damn big speakers..

Just email them to inquire about the tweeters and he will respond. He did me.
Howard is so Pro active on this matter a well spring of knowledge and great communication indeed.
The front dome tweeters were made by Long of Waveland Indiana.
I looked the name up no luck, Howard thinks they went the way of all the other builders of that era.

Great! They look really good.
Yeah, let those surrounds break in a bit. Iv'e been disappointed numerous time after installing new surrounds only to have them come around later.

Great! They look really good.
Yeah, let those surrounds break in a bit. Iv'e been disappointed numerous time after installing new surrounds only to have them come around later.
My Spica SC-30's are the only ones that have taken longer to loosen up out of all the speakers i have done.
But then i didn't know what they sounded like before the reinstall, i bought them in trashed condition, like most speakers i find.
No these RSL's are going to be fine listened to them a little more yesterday mid volume some low bass songs and i can tell they are coming round.
Can't find my electric staple gun to start on the covers!!:rant::idea:

Working on getting some new badges 3-D printed waiting on a quote for 12, this will probably be the most costly part i get for them, so i will have some to move at cost.

Back
Top Bottom