What do I do with a pair of MCS 10" 3-ways needing a refoam?

Blue Shadow

Waiting for Vintage Gear from this century
Neighbor dropped these at my door yesterday and after refreshing the solder of the inductor the midrange on the one started to work again...meaning all drivers work. But the woofers need a refoam, some of the vinyl veneer is peeling and one grille is missing. I don't really have a use for them. I don't know if anyone else would have a use for them either if they have woofers without surrounds.

I don't know anyone that needs to have a stereo gifted to them, but maybe I can let an AK buddy have these, he likes three-way speakers but prefers 12" woofers. I'd need to refoam them for that. These being MCS speakers they are probably not great but not terrible either as @Lavane mentioned in one thread. The specs are 45-20,000Hz and 8 ohm so they would have some bottom end compared to some other MCS speakers. Metal screens on the port, midrange and tweeter keep them from prying fingers but without the grilles the woofers are just asking to be poked.

My neighbor did say I can put them at the bottom of his driveway if I want.

What to do with them?

A picture or model number would have been helpful. There were a few decent speakers sold by MCS, but this doesn't sound like one of them. I'd probably just give them back.

I forget you guys love pictures. here you go.

MCS.jpg MCS Label.jpg

Not bad, someone would love em. I'm surprised the tweeters still work.

Donate them or put them by the curb. If you donate them and they see the surrounds are gone, they may poop-can them for you. Or, they might sell them. Nothing I'd waste any time with unless you want woofer refoaming practice. But there were some decent MCS speakers for sure. Not sure about these, though.

Edit: I halfway remember those. Weren't the greatest ever but were decent for their time. Looks like someone put a dome midrange in place of the cone mid....but you might pull one just to see.

These are the ones.. Not my picture...borrowed.

IMG_1014.JPG

These look like one of the United Speaker-made systems. The 683-8228 is probably the best speaker ever sold under the MCS name, and yours would appear to be its little brother. So they're probably worth the refoam job if you have someone to give them to. They could do a lot worse as a starter system.

ETA: it's tough to tell from your picture, but it's possible that the drivers have been replaced. The mids and tweeters should be yellow (possibly faded) domes. The woofers don't match the woofers in the pic posted by avguytx, so it's likely that one of those has had the woofers replaced (probably the latter since it lacks the chrome rings).

Last edited:
These have a cone tweeter and dome midrange. Same 3.3 and 6.8µF caps as the Realistic Optimus 5 I recapped for Dave a few weeks ago. This means the crossover would be similar, difference being the impedance of the drivers. I'm trying to think of some neighbor kids that might need a set of speakers.

These are probably never touched as far as replacement parts, colored drivers and such. Guy just wasn't the kind that would be working em over. Cranking em up, sure but not messing with em. They played, what more could he want? Don't know when the loose inductor wire cause the mid to go silent.

I would donate them, as long as the thrift will resell speakers that need to be refoamed. Several thrifts in my area will sell speakers if they need to be refoamed.

I would post a CL ad before I would throw away a pair of salvageable speakers.

Hey, Blue Shadow! Those 8225s you have the Japan made mids. The other photo has the United Speaker USA mids. The tweeters are little different but both may be Japan made. I would just part them out if you don't want to restore them. Maybe you could refoam the woofers and see if you like them enough to keep.

Neighbor dropped these at my door yesterday and after refreshing the solder of the inductor the midrange on the one started to work again...meaning all drivers work. But the woofers need a refoam, some of the vinyl veneer is peeling and one grille is missing. I don't really have a use for them. I don't know if anyone else would have a use for them either if they have woofers without surrounds.

I don't know anyone that needs to have a stereo gifted to them, but maybe I can let an AK buddy have these, he likes three-way speakers but prefers 12" woofers. I'd need to refoam them for that. These being MCS speakers they are probably not great but not terrible either as @Lavane mentioned in one thread. The specs are 45-20,000Hz and 8 ohm so they would have some bottom end compared to some other MCS speakers. Metal screens on the port, midrange and tweeter keep them from prying fingers but without the grilles the woofers are just asking to be poked.

My neighbor did say I can put them at the bottom of his driveway if I want.

What to do with them?
I hung on to a pair of those until the foam rotted.

Back
Top Bottom