TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

The 4.5 inch Fostex Tekton's driven by the Volt+ have wonderful mids but are a bit lacking in bass so I plan to use these - an 8" Dayton Reference Sub powered by a 300 watt Yung class D. It will be shared with an OB system using a Niles DPS-1 amp switcher.

P7300001.jpg

But if you use a regulated power supply you'll need one of these to make the connection.

s-l1600.jpg
PG do you have a link to a source for this? Just picked up the old Volt for the hell of it and want to use my Pyramid 12v power supply.

Perfect! Thank you. Looking forward to hearing this thing even though it’s not the Volt+D. Figured I’d save a few bucks and take a shot especially since my speakers are pretty efficient.

I'm actually not sure that the Volt+d has more power than the Volt + in most situations. My guess is that the Volt+D sounds better (at least to me) because it's dual mono (better channel separation), uses better parts, and has an even more refined design. That said, the Volt+ is a terrific deal and sounds really good in its own right.

small stuff: I was very happy with Volumio, but should also mention that Chicago Electronic Distributors (Allo's American distributor) now carries both the fully assembled Volt+ and Volt+D, should anyone in the U.S. want to deal with a more local supplier. Shipping's also a bit better.

I recently picked up a Wanptek variable regulated supply for the tpa 3255, but they sent me the wrong one 30 volts instead of 40 volts. I tried it on the Volt+D at 19.4 volts and it's the best power supply match I've found yet. I'm assuming it's better regulated than most any laptop supply and the extra voltage vs. the Astrons and I assume the Pyramids contributes to the clarity. It's also interesting to experiment with the effect of different voltages on the sound.

Good to know airbus. Feeling a little apprehensive about the Volt+ just now, unfortunately. I've moved homes within the past year and had some hum issues at our new house. I assume it was a ground loop problem and it was resolved w/ a HumX device. I just tried hooking up the two TPA amps I have (audiobah green board, YJ red board) for the first time since we've been in this house and there is a noticeable hum from my seated position. Bummer. The HumX didn't make a difference. I don't have much time or energy to futz around trying to fix the problem so I'm crossing my fingers extra hard that the Volt+ doesn't hum when I get it up and running.

Last edited:
If two different amp modules and I assume two different power supplies are making the same hum, it's probably not the amps. I'd try checking interconnects and speaker cables (if it's coming from one channel, just switching the existing cables will tell you if it's cable or amp). Also, as Poultrygeist says, just moving stuff around often does help. I often find that stuff just moves around. We happen to have a cat and 2 dogs, so wires get moved by other forces as well. I'd also consider trying to run the amps off a 12 volt battery to see if that makes the hum go away. I suspect you know this stuff if you've been playing with amp boards, but I'm often surprised. to find bits of wire touching one another that I could swear weren't anywhere near one another. A lot of tmes, it's from my switching stuff in and out of my system.

I've added a Breeze TPA3116 to the stables. Couldn't pass it up at $28 and shipped for free from California. :) Sounds really good. Very clean sound, quite neutral, doesn't lean to far in one direction or another. The 32db gain is too high and I might try my hand at the adjustment down to 20db.

If anyone is following this thread and does not have any of these amps yet, this one would be a good intro.

I've added a Breeze TPA3116 to the stables. Couldn't pass it up at $28 and shipped for free from California. :) Sounds really good. Very clean sound, quite neutral, doesn't lean to far in one direction or another. The 32db gain is too high and I might try my hand at the adjustment down to 20db.

If anyone is following this thread and does not have any of these amps yet, this one would be a good intro.
That's by far the worse sounding class D amp I've had around here. Shouty, noisy (distortion I'd say) and cheap sounding. But that's with efficient speakers. I've assumed it's the gain.

I liked the Breeze, but had it paired with a low gain source and Radio Shack LX5 speakers, that are supposed to be low 80's efficiency. I was also using an Astron linear power supply. For the money, I still consider it
a good deal. It's not going to satisfy people who post on audio boards, but we usually wind up spending more than $25 for main system amps. For a TV or a small office, I thought it was much better than the hifimediay t2550
based amp (their cheap one).

I liked the Breeze, but had it paired with a low gain source and Radio Shack LX5 speakers, that are supposed to be low 80's efficiency. I was also using an Astron linear power supply. For the money, I still consider it
a good deal. It's not going to satisfy people who post on audio boards, but we usually wind up spending more than $25 for main system amps. For a TV or a small office, I thought it was much better than the hifimediay t2550
based amp (their cheap one).
My guess is that I'll end up hooking it to the guest room TV. It will probably sound good there.

I've started modding my breeze tpa3116. I pulled all the fake Sanyo caps and will replace them with Panasonic FM caps. I'm also going to lower the gain to 20db. Caps should arrive next week so I'll post my opinion then.

Back
Top Bottom