First Linear Tracker ~Technics SL-5

I had a SL-5 for about 25 years and could not find an easy way to get the motor to spin with the lid open. Spun the record with my finger to use the brush.

As far as the OP's problem with the skipping after a couple of minutes: mine did that too. The lubrication on the linear tracking sled rails had turned to glue. Took some through cleaning to fix that.

I regretted selling mine, in a way, but there came a time when I realized I had too many TT's.

I, like many, thought linear trackers were just some novelty. But when I saw a 5 dollar price tag next to the word "Technics" I knew it was worth a shot. This thing is working great.:banana: And there's a lot less for the two year old to destroy although I'm sure she'll surprise me.[/QUOTE]

This thread has opened my eyes. I have seen linear trackers going cheap and just dismissed them. Might have to give one a go. I recently saw a B&O for sale at a junk shop. Anyone know if they are any good?

..... I recently saw a B&O for sale at a junk shop. Anyone know if they are any good?

Good, BUT...(and it's a huge BUT) the B&O turntables used their proprietary cartridges which did not have a user-replaceable stylus. B&O no longer sells their cartridges. You cannot use a common aftermarket cartridge on a B&O.

So odds are any B&O TT in a thrift store is going to have a trashed stylus. It costs big bucks to get a B&O cartridge fitted with a new stylus. (Look up Soundsmith to get an idea on prices)

Good, BUT...(and it's a huge BUT) the B&O turntables used their proprietary cartridges which did not have a user-replaceable stylus. B&O no longer sells their cartridges. You cannot use a common aftermarket cartridge on a B&O.

So odds are any B&O TT in a thrift store is going to have a trashed stylus. It costs big bucks to get a B&O cartridge fitted with a new stylus. (Look up Soundsmith to get an idea on prices)

Gotta hate it when companies do that. Thanks for the info, I reckon I will give that one a miss. Even if you did go to the expense of replacing the stylus there could be other nasties lying in wait.

Gotta hate it when companies do that. Thanks for the info, I reckon I will give that one a miss. Even if you did go to the expense of replacing the stylus there could be other nasties lying in wait.

I do like B&O for a variety of reasons but there are almost as many not to like them. I own and have worked on a couple of their regular pivoting arm types and their LTs. If everything else is in good shape I figure they were worth getting cartridges for. I think I would probably at least find out the model and the price.

If you do decide to bring it home, please figure out how to lock down the suspension (usually just 3 rotating thingies beneath the platter) and especially if it has a stylus, PLEASE secure the arm so it is still there when you get it home.

The comment that the SL 5 has no way to power the motor with the lid open is intresting. The SL-10 has a button under the lid which will run the motor.

You'll find that the elegantly simple linear-trackers, once properly serviced, usually nudge excellent quality sound from the grooves.

No need for all those audiokarma hassle threads....

Vertical Tracking Angle (VTA)
Stylus Pressure tweaking
Endless Platter Cushion (or lack of) discussions
Tracking Angle adjustments and protractors
Tonearm Litz wire selections
Pointed mounting feet debates

ETC ETC ETC ETC....... :thumbsdn:

It's enough to make someone nuts in the head.

Once someone posted that if you didn't like dealing with this stuff that you've mentioned above, then you weren't cut out for vinyl. Hey I love the sound of LPs, but why not have it easier? That's why I love these little jacket sized tangential trackers. I like having it both ways. :)

I love both types of turntables. I have an SL-10, have had an SL-5, and just got an SL-L2. I'm really enjoying the SL-L2 in my living room because if I want to skip a song, all I have to do is hit the search button 1 time and it will skip to the next song. Awesome feature!

And it is true the SL-10 has a button for turning the table for record cleaning. I hope to find an SL-15 that will give me the best of all the features I like. Quality built, automatic features, and search.

Happy New Year!

LT turntables are great. I like my Sherwood ST-903. Sounds better than my Thornes TD180. Just wish I can I can find a manual for it..

I still have the sl-j2 I bought it used from a guy at work in Feb 1984. It has the adio technica cartrige, what would be a good upgrade?

It has a TR470L/LT.

It has never been changed. I play it occasionally but not a lot. Anything from Maynard Ferguson or Bill Chase to Pink Floyd.

The comment that the SL 5 has no way to power the motor with the lid open is intresting. The SL-10 has a button under the lid which will run the motor.

It's been a few years since I sold my SL-5, but IIRC, there were two separate switches that had to be tripped to get the motor to run. Merely pushing the switch at the back of the lid wasn't enough...again going from memory...seems like it wasn't possible to trip both switches with one hand while holding the cleaning brush with the other.

So the routine got pretty straightforward: lick one index finger, use it on the label to manually spin record, and hold the cleaning brush with the other hand.

I don't find it ugly at all. Maybe utilitarian... :)

I have the SL-Q5 and quite like it. The only thing I dislike is that I can't clean the record on the turntable that easily as it won't spin under power until the lid is down.

Technics SL-Q5 by Buhduh, on Flickr
Open the dustcover while holding your record cleaning brush in your right hand. Press on the extreme left rear of the player with your left index finger, ( inside the player) you'll depress the small black switch that makes the player think the dustcover is closed. It is the only switch that needs to be fooled! Press play with the free finger of your right hand. Clean record. Close lid and hit play again! After a few tries it's not fiddly at all, heck, you can even use a zerostat gun while your at it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom