Will a DAC make a big difference in sound quality?

80talisten

I mostly listen to analog music in the form of LP. Otherwise much on cd too. But thought about whether it's worth buying a DAC? Especially for the interference of FLAC files streamed from my phone via bubbleupnp (dnla) to my Samsung smart tv. To the TV, I have a Pioneer A-X550 Amplifier connected with an optical cable. As I hear, I think the sound is almost in line with the CD. Maybe my ears are untrained? But do you think an external DAC is necessary?

In your case .. probably not "necessary". Much can depend on what type of music genre you listen too.

As I hear, I think the sound is almost in line with the CD. Maybe my ears are untrained? But do you think an external DAC is necessary?

As for me .. I treat all digital technology (especially DACs) as ephemeral. IMHO .. there's always something better coming out next year. I have not reached a point where these ephemeral upgrades have not give me an improvement in sound quality on my main living room rig.

Last edited:
In your case .. probably not "necessary". Much can depend on what type of music genre you listen too.

As for me .. I treat all digital technology (especially DACs) as ephemeral. IMHO .. there's always something better coming out next year. I have not reached a point where these ephemeral upgrades have not give me an improvement in sound quality on my main living room rig.

I listen mostly to Rock, Blues, Jazz and Heavy Metal.

I mostly listen to analog music in the form of LP. Otherwise much on cd too. But thought about whether it's worth buying a DAC? Especially for the interference of FLAC files streamed from my phone via bubbleupnp (dnla) to my Samsung smart tv. To the TV, I have a Pioneer A-X550 Amplifier connected with an optical cable. As I hear, I think the sound is almost in line with the CD. Maybe my ears are untrained? But do you think an external DAC is necessary?

What you're describing is connecting digital out from the TV to digital in on the Pioneer, and then using the Pioneer's DAC to convert to analog and hear through your speakers. You could add a newer DAC to that, but I agree that you'd likely benefit more from other upgrades.

What you're describing is connecting digital out from the TV to digital in on the Pioneer, and then using the Pioneer's DAC to convert to analog and hear through your speakers. You could add a newer DAC to that, but I agree that you'd likely benefit more from other upgrades.
So you do not think the difference would be dramatic with an external DAC instead of using the Pioneer A-X550 built-in dac?

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-DAC-Box-USB-black/dp/B01MDKJPMK

102PR9045UB_1.jpg

I have checked this Dac. Pro-Ject DAC Box S USB. If so, plug USB into my SmartTV and optically out into the Amplifier. Or is it waste of money?

So you do not think the difference would be dramatic with an external DAC instead of using the Pioneer A-X550 built-in dac?

I don't think the "difference would be dramatic..." but it would be different.

In my opinion, you won't hear a dramatic difference until you stop processing the signal through a TV box and make a direct USB connection between a computer to a DAC, then the analog connection directly to your Pioneer.

I don't think the "difference would be dramatic..." but it would be different.

In my opinion, you won't hear a dramatic difference until you stop processing the signal through a TV box and make a direct USB connection between a computer to a DAC, then the analog connection directly to your Pioneer.
So you mean, Amplifier with RCA cables to DAC, Usb cable from DAC to computer?

Let's take it in the direction the data flows:

PC/Music Server === USB cable ===> DAC === analog RCA or balanced XLR cable ===> Receiver
Can I connect my smartphone to the Dac instead of the computer?

I do not like too much visible cables in the living room

I personally would pass on using a smartphone. They weren't designed for audio and the processing compromises the quality of your music.

You don't have to have visible cables in the living room. A little cable management goes a long way, IMHO.

I don't know the Pioneer unit you have, so I can't be sure, but if you want a dramatic difference, you want to start with your speakers, IMO.

The TV shouldn't, in principle, be able to screw up FLAC too much as it passes it on to the DAC in your Pioneer, as long as the TV does support digital audio passthrough. If the TV is using an internal D/A converter, then taking that analog output and re-encoding it to the optical handoff, yes, that would be an issue.

But even then, unless you've got very good speakers to start with, I'd think you'd probably be able to start with speakers for your biggest performance improvement - and that improvement would also be available to you on your LP listening.

I don't know your speakers from having listened to a pair but I found this thread when I looked to confirm I understood your setup.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/hh-scott-176bl.436496/

If that thread reflects a common view of the speakers, I'd definitely look at the money for the DAC as being better spent on speakers, although other owners like them quite a bit, as this thread shows.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/hh-scott-s-176.165103/

Last edited:
Using an external DAC with a built in just adds another conversion to the signal chain, possibly introducing noise and errors. An external DAC is best used for primary conversion from digital sources like an HTPC, laptop, or other straight digital source.

If you want to play CDs or DVDs using an external DAC, rip them to a computer first, THEN play them from there. The right DAC in that sort of setup can work wonders for sound quality.

So online I saw a guy have an external dac plugged into his tablet. I was scratching my head as I thought and I may be wrong isn't he limited to the amount of what the mother ship is streaming thus the dac won't make a difference?
Google play 320kb
Pandora 160kb
Tidal 1411kb er cd quality(?)
So whatever these formats stream in how does a dac "improve" what was already streamed? Does it up convert the signal? Boost it?

So online I saw a guy have an external dac plugged into his tablet. I was scratching my head as I thought and I may be wrong isn't he limited to the amount of what the mother ship is streaming thus the dac won't make a difference?
Google play 320kb
Pandora 160kb
Tidal 1411kb er cd quality(?)
So whatever these formats stream in how does a dac "improve" what was already streamed? Does it up convert the signal? Boost it?

Last edited:
Using an external DAC with a built in just adds another conversion to the signal chain, possibly introducing noise and errors. An external DAC is best used for primary conversion from digital sources like an HTPC, laptop, or other straight digital source.

If you want to play CDs or DVDs using an external DAC, rip them to a computer first, THEN play them from there. The right DAC in that sort of setup can work wonders for sound quality.
You wouldn't be using the external DAC 'with' the built in DAC. The coax out from the CD player bypasses the built in DAC and sends the digital signal to the external DAC. Which may or may not sound better, depending on the which player and which DAC.

Maybe. Depends on many factors. I have added a DAC to my system and made a subtle difference. It not night and day difference but is there. Then again this is my first DAC.

Not necessarily true. I know a few people run a high end DAC directly into their power amp, using the DAC's remote to control volume and digital inputs. Sounds really incredibly good.

If I didn't use vinyl I'd retire my Schiit Saga and use my Gieseler Gross DAC in this fashion :)

Back
Top Bottom