WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE VINTAGE SPEAKER?

I don't like any.

Soooo, no ADS L1590, AR9, 3, Apogee Slant 6, Bozak Concert Grand,Tannoy Mayfair, Altec Santiago, KEF 104/2, Allison Ones, Dahlquist M-907, or KLH Five's for you, hmmm?

Liar liar, your pants are so on fire you need to stop, drop and roll!:p

Last edited:
Soooo, no ADS L1590, AR9, 3, Apogee Slant 6, Bozak Concert Grand,Tannoy Mayfair, Altec Santiago, KEF 104/2, Allison Ones, Dahlquist M-907, or KLH Five's for you, hmmm?

Liar liar, your pants are so on fire you need to stop, drop and roll!:p

:angel:

Honestly I haven't heard many vintage speakers...or all that many speakers, period. But I've had some pretty good ones.

Best I've heard/owned - KEF 107, Quad 57, Apogee Centaur, Bozak 305, Magnepan 2.7

What I want to hear - old Altec & WE full range speakers, Altec and Klipsch horn speakers, Tannoy, big Infinity, all the big panels (Dayton Wright, Soundlab), Beveridge

I'm probably leaving several out that I've forgotten about, but these are the ones that immediately come to mind!

I love my Boston Acoustics T-830s. I'd love to hear the 1030s!
Also, I am still amazed at the sound quality of my Genesis Physics 7s for what I paid. I wonder how good the 66s would have been?

I would certainly like to hear these and decide if they are favorite worthy -

new_jbl_everest_dd67000-614x400-1.png

As well as these -

a841i1.jpg

I would certainly like to hear these and decide if they are favorite worthy -

new_jbl_everest_dd67000-614x400-1.png

As well as these -

a841i1.jpg
I heard a pair of those Everests at an audio show and didn't really like what I heard.First time they were demoing compression in music.Second time the room was way to small.It wasn't even loud but my ears started hurting almost immediately.My guess is you need an auditorium size room to enjoy these.

Last edited:
My Marantz Imperial 6s first then my recapped Pioneer CS 88s. But I have also loved my Realistic Nova 6s . The Rectilinear Mini 3s I just got are pretty sweet as are the Imperial 5s I have .

20180719_201001.jpg 20180716_194624.jpg

Apogee Stage W/Dynaudio 24W100-4 twins for subs as stands. Cannot find that picture. Close as I can find is here.apogee stage With Dynaudio 24W100-4 twins.jpg

Well, if you consider Klipsch KG4 vintage, - I like mine a lot. As well as Advent Legacy - fantastic speaker in its category. If Klipsch Heresy iii qualifies, ( modern speaker that can be purchased new now, but vintage look and design) - is my favorite. Truly vintage in my collection that I like the most - Synergistics A-62, large, hard to find speakers that sound great, yet very few people seem to know them.

The more I hear them, the more I crave a pair of RCA LC-1As.

DSC_2136 (3).JPG
They had the Elvis seal of approval, too.
566901956nashville.jpg

Ain't a-gonna happen, though :( Not on my pay grade.

PS Yeah, I know I plugged these already in this thread -- but I spent some quality time listening to a pair driven by SE 45 and also by PP 2A3 amplifiers yesterday, and it just reinforced my earlier impressions. Dr. Olson & RCA knew what they were doing; these are great, great reproducers of music. They deserve their reputation, their scarcity, and, yeah, probably even their prices today. :confused:

The 12" alnico wide banders used in these OB's proved to me that Zenith was ahead of the game back in 1957. A flea watt tube amp driving big efficient full range speakers of yesteryear is a thing of beauty.

P1010019 2.jpg

Last edited:
Holy Cow!!!! They are selling empty cabinets for the RCA LC-1As for almost $4,000 USD. Just a pair of speakers $3,000 USD. For that much money I could purchase a pair of brand new Klipschorn’s
And unfortunately most people will never experience the difference in sound.

Back
Top Bottom