Mark Knopfler- Ragpicker's Dream revisited

reyneman

Requiescat in pace
ARTIST: Mark Knopfler
TITLE: The Ragpicker's Dream
RELEASED: 2002
LABEL: Warner Bros
GENRE: Roots? rock

I find myself dividing music into two categories- what I want to listen to at this time, and what I don't want to hear right now. Genre doesn't matter to me much.

I am actually revisiting this disc. When I first acquired this disc I wasn't overly impressed. Replayed it a couple of days ago, now I'm wondering what the heck I was thinking a couple of years ago?

The playing and voicing of this disc is spot on, a mix of nice 'bluesy' and 'roots' rock that just gets better with more plays (the genre is my own fabrication, I just don't normally try to place music types). There is enough variation to keep you from getting bored halfway through the disc, but enough of a thread to match your current listening mood.

I wish I had this on vinyl, but the CD is well mastered and the sound is first rate. Recommend you acquire or revisit this disc.

Spot On! I used to have it in regular rotation, guess I'm going to have to pull it out again soon. :thmbsp: I was hooked from the first listen. "Sailing to Philidelphia" is also a excellent album (In other words I second the motion from the above post!). Cheers.......

This one took a looong time for me to warm up to as well. Upon first listen I found it disappointing, but luckily for me I gave it another chance. Then another. Then another. It was somewhere around the 3rd or 4th listen when The Ragkpicker's Dream's considerable charms began to assert themselves upon my sensibilities.

I've never listened to anything Mark did that I didn't like immediately or at least warm up to quickly. To my untrained ears his work seems to always be well played and recorded. One of the all time greats....

If you like MK and can handle a little country flavor try NECK & Neck with MK & Chet Atkins. It's my go to CD when I want to hear excellent guitar work. His next best CD IMHO is Shangra-La.

Bogframe said:
Does anyone know what MK album Scott Adams refered to in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

You mean Douglas? I've wondered that for what, 19-20 years now? Had to be something pre-1982, right? I've always thought it was something off of Communique, like Communique, or Once upon a time... But I've never been able to pick out something that quite matches the description.

I agree with the comments above.
RAGPICKER'S DREAM is a superb album that I rate as one of MK's best solo outings.
I have many favourite tunes on this album, but there are two tracks that always make me smile: QUALITY SHOE and COYOTE. Mr. Knopfler must have a great sense of humour - the kind of guy you'd love to meet and have a beer with, I reckon.
HILL FARMER'S BLUES is also MK at his finest. Deep and dark.
A PLACE WHERE WE USED TO LIVE is one of my wife's favourite MK numbers. Beautiful.
Give them a listen.
Worth mentioning too that I have this album on the original VINYL LP also - 2LPs - and it is most definitely worth the investment for the improved sonics.
An unsung MK classic. Love it entirely!
MARK KNOPFLER Ragpickers Dream.jpg

His nuanced playing is superb, the feeling I get from most of his songs, exquisite,
but its also his stories - his storytelling is a real gift.
(yes, I have a lot of his albums ...) ...

Last edited:
I too have a LOT of his albums and I keep thinking, "And this is the guy who did Money For Nothing and wore the weird headbands????"

;)

Back
Top Bottom