Today's JAZZ playlist

E3wNE4a.jpg

Special LP...

Hey @jgannon , I spent some time this evening watching the old "You Bet Your Life" shows with Groucho Marx on Youtube. Really made me nostalgic for the older NY that you and I grew up with. I remember them being on WNEW (if I'm not mistaken) evenings during the week. Those were the days. When I was in my hotel room in NY I was watching WNEW and WPIX. Boy have they changed. Nothing stays the same I guess. Didn't see WOR. I probably just didn't notice it in the TV guide in the hotel.

Back to Jazz. I'm in the mood for something smooth and mellow.

Paul Desmond - Easy Living

51u5NZNlfsL._SS500.jpg

Hey @jgannon , I spent some time this evening watching the old "You Bet Your Life" shows with Groucho Marx on Youtube. Really made me nostalgic for the older NY that you and I grew up with. I remember them being on WNEW (if I'm not mistaken) evenings during the week. Those were the days. When I was in my hotel room in NY I was watching WNEW and WPIX. Boy have they changed. Nothing stays the same I guess. Didn't see WOR. I probably just didn't notice it in the TV guide in the hotel.

Back to Jazz. I'm in the mood for something smooth and mellow.

Paul Desmond - Easy Living

51u5NZNlfsL._SS500.jpg

Yeah, WOR isn't around anymore. I don't even know what Channel 9 is anymore!! I get it on cable, but I guess I don't ever watch it! What was great about watching Yankee games on WPIX, was that they hardly had any commercials. They would tune back into the game while the pitcher was taking his warm-up throws. Now you're lucky if you see strike one!

I remember in the summer around suppertime, I used to watch "Beat The Clock", "Superman" with George Reeves, "The Mothers-In-Law", "I Love Lucy" (first heard Stompin' At The Savoy on that), all while eating a frozen Roman lasagna for dinner after a day down at the beach.

Great times...

Yeah, WOR isn't around anymore. I don't even know what Channel 9 is anymore!! I get it on cable, but I guess I don't ever watch it! What was great about watching Yankee games on WPIX, was that they hardly had any commercials. They would tune back into the game while the pitcher was taking his warm-up throws. Now you're lucky if you see strike one!

I remember in the summer around suppertime, I used to watch "Beat The Clock", "Superman" with George Reeves, "The Mothers-In-Law", "I Love Lucy" (first heard Stompin' At The Savoy on that), all while eating a frozen Roman lasagna for dinner after a day down at the beach.

Great times...

So true. GREAT times. So glad I grew up in NYC. I remember those shows and THAT particular lineup, JG.

Oh, the Yankees games on WPIX. Phil "Scooter" Rizzuto announcing. Then he did "The Money Store" ads. Who did he announce with? Bill White? Anyway, that was a golden era for the Yankees. Memories. At least we have those.

I recently happened to catch a documentary on the great Pennsylvania Station. Not the current PENN station. This documentary was about the one that was torn down in the early 60s to make way for Madison Square Gardens. I would have loved to visit that grand old place. Glad that Grand Central Station didn't suffer the same fate.

The documentary almost brought a tear to my eye. It was a travesty to lose that elegant, monumental station. It could have been such a landmark in NYC today. Not that Madison Square Garden is chopped liver. It's just such a shame that an elegant grand building built over 100 years ago is now lost forever.

Last one for tonight. I'm burning the candle too late as it is.

My old lullaby Jazz Standard;
511yUnJocIL._SS500.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, Billy Phil Rizzuto, Bill White, and Frank Messer. What a great broadcasting team they were. Scooter and Bill used to play into each other. Frank was a classic baseball man. Balls and strikes, a real pro. I actually met him when I won a contest when the Yankees and Mets were making stops in different Long Island towns on the LIRR. And Frank asked the crowd in Huntington where I lived, "Who was the last pitcher to beat the Yankees in a World Series game?" This was 1972 and I still had my old 1965 baseball card of the 1964 World Series, which said, "Gibson Hurls Series Finale", and he called on me! I answered it correctly (Bob Gibson) and got to travel in on the train with Ron Swoboda and Tug McGraw, Danny Frisella, and some other players. Got to go in the Yankee dugout too, and took a picture with the other winners and a Yankee pitcher named Ron Klimkowski. I still have the autographed ball they gave me that day too.

The tearing down of the original Penn Station was a crime. The thinking of the 1960s on those things was so stupid, from tearing down that place to building those huge projects. Dumb. I'm glad they kept Grand Central too.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the train went all the way into New York, where we went to the original Yankee Stadium and watched the Yankees and Mets play in the Mayor's Trophy Game!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom