Your indoor antenna show them to me.

OutlawSun

Curious to see what you guys are using and how you're setting these up in your space. I used a wire setup for a while ended up replacing it with a 50s JDF bakelite antenna which still works great and adds a little style to a mundane task. So show me what you got.

IMG_0417.JPG IMG_0428.JPG IMG_0425.JPG IMG_0424.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 31
i really need an good fm antenna for my yamaha tuner. im so confused. i cant have those long dipole antennas on the wall and i cant have it outside.

i really need an good fm antenna for my yamaha tuner. im so confused. i cant have those long dipole antennas on the wall and i cant have it outside.

One of the small passive antennas might work if you're looking for something low profile. Use a 300 ohm to 75 ohm adapter.

It's not rocket surgery. What do you want to listen to? With an indoor antenna, you are pretty much limited to stations with moderate-to-strong signals, meaning within 25 miles or so.

How many different stations do you want to listen to, and where are they? If all the stations you want to listen to are in the same general direction, a twin lead dipole in an inconspicuous place - on the floor, behind a piece of furniture - may work. Even a random length of wire connected to your tuner, with a little trial and error positioning, may surprise you. These are cheap and easy options if you are willing to tinker with positioning them.

If you want to listen to stations in multiple directions, you usually need a directional antenna. Rabbit ears, as mentioned above, can be a very good solution They are basically a rotatable dipole.

And don't get hung up on feedline impedance and baluns. In my experience, the antenna itself and where it's positioned has a bigger effect than whether your feedline matches.

Indoor antennas are hit and miss. A hunk of wire may work better than an expensive amplified antenna, depending on your location and where your target stations are. You need to engage in a little trial and error.

Or, you may just be in an unfortunate location where you absolutely need an outdoor sky hook, but probably not.

Antenna Pic.jpg

Last edited:
im located at downtown and the house is all wood ni steel so i think that signal is fine. but it is rocket surgery. here is amplif]ed, un amplifiwd and then the have the screw on male f type connectors that are not compatible with my yamaha and then they all have mediocre reviews on amamzon and they are either dipole thst have to go in the wall that is a nono or amplied. i want one the looks ,ike the picture above.

im located at downtown and the house is all wood ni steel so i think that signal is fine. but it is rocket surgery. here is amplif]ed, un amplifiwd and then the have the screw on male f type connectors that are not compatible with my yamaha and then they all have mediocre reviews on amamzon and they are either dipole thst have to go in the wall that is a nono or amplied. i want one the looks ,ike the picture above.

Look at vintage TV antennas that's what the JDF is just a repurposed TV antenna. Just search for bakelite rabbit ears or antenna.

Dadbeh, I tried amplified indoor antennas from Terk and Parsec many years ago, with poor results every time. Noise was amplified along with signal - not the listening experience I wanted. To be fair, I was trying to improve weaker signals - the amplified antennas performed just fine for the signals that came in well via a folded dipole. Since the amped antennas performed no better than a dipole, I stuck with dipole.

The point is this: for strong signals the amplified indoor antennas will probably serve you well, and are sleeker looking designs if that is your concern. But the added wiring (for power) does not necessarily result in a better look, ime, depending on how you hide all the wires. And since they cost more than rabbit ears, or a folded dipole, and include the possibility of amplifying noise, and don't always look better, they proved not to worth the added cost, to me.

Perhaps you could use rabbit ears or a dipole if you think a little more creatively about how to hide them, instead of concluding "I can't do this" or "I can't do that" as you posted above. And as you think about it, try to think of ways to get some height - they almost always do better nearer the ceiling than the floor.

That's a nice looking unit.
Thanks...it works well with my tuner...AudioPrism had a larger model also , the Model 8500. another good passive antenna that can be found cheap is the BIC BeamBox...the AudioPrism 6500 is a little harder to find than the BIC BeamBox. both work very similar.

FM1.jpg FM2.jpg FM3.jpg FM4.jpg Enclosed is an article from "Electronics World" in the late 1960s on building an FM/VHF and a FM only antenna. I have built this (FM) and wow does it work fantastically. Yes it is large and yes an attic would the best place for its installation and using 75 ohm cable is recommended. A minimum of wood skills are needed. It is very directional.

Attachments

• FM1.jpg
    FM1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 76
  • FM2.jpg
    FM2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 70
  • FM3.jpg
    FM3.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 67
  • FM4.jpg
    FM4.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 71
In my 32nd floor apartment in Abu Dhabi, I swear by the C. Crane antenna - I have two. I quantified the difference with a regular wire dipole and it beat it by 12 dBf according to the meter on the TOTL Sony tuner I had.

One feeds a McIntosh MR77 and the other a Tivoli Music System. The only downsides are the shipping and import duties. The international shipping cost more than the price and the import duties were 50% of the price or 30 dirhims.

I installed them vertically behind the window drapes.
CCrane antenna in bedroom.jpg CCrane antenna is living room.jpg

For years I used a outside TV ant that the prior owner used before cable. Has a rotor 50 ft in the air. It’s forty years old. The Mrs set it on the angle for WDST, Woodstock. I listen to a NPR station WMHT off a repeat. Turned the rotor to favor it. It is stuck where neither comes it now. Found after much effort a five element FM antenna. Wanted to put it on the tower. I know the Mrs would kick about that. We have a craw space between the garage and my workroom shop furnace room. It’s hidden in there. Run it to an old Radio Shack powered two splitter. One to my bedroom. Sadly my old Fisher Quad 301 receiver’s FM section sucks on weak channels. Found a odd named tuner made for Scott named Vocani?. Run that through the Fishers AUX. got the Fisher for nostalgia. 96 bucks. Sounds great with JBL L26s. Pulls my NPR station and and her Woodstock station using the Scott tuner! Run to another splitter, 4 way powered that I thought failed. run that to her system. Ever her crappy low end Denon home theater works! Yeh! Have a living room and my shop too. All is happy.

If you can hide a five element FM ant get it. Have put them in attics too. Or outside. Now I need to take down the tower. Wish me luck! When I was younger I replaced guy wires. Not now. I am very pleased with the ant in the basement though. Found on Amazon. I am very happy as all FM sets are working! Even set up a 2nd outlet in my shop to test repairs

Eric

My rabbit ear antenna works surprisingly well, placed on top of a pile of books, just a few inches below the ceiling. Unfortunately, everything else conspires against decent reception. The house has vinyl siding, is surrounded by trees, and sits on the side of a hill which faces away from just about every local signal. Only one station to which I regularly listen comes in at full strength.

I find rabbit ears a bit large and cumbersome so I did this with some aluminum wire. Each element is a quarter wave long but folded this way, quite handy. The pattern comes from a on-line thesis on fractals. (first order fractal ?) I made a wood form to to bend it on and experimented with the angle of one to the other. A fun project that works really well where I live. Range is better than expected and rejectiupload_2018-7-22_23-51-7.pngon is too. A bit more directional then I supposed it would be. Always planned on making a more elaborate one but that would defeat the purpose. The angles are 60 and the included element angle is 90. Quite unexpected how the elements react to one another. Flipping one over so it matches the other causes a loss of signal.

Back
Top Bottom