Jico N447: output voltage same as Shure stylus?

monkboughtlunch

A Shure M447 cart with an OEM Shure N447 stylus puts out 9.5 mv.

Since Shure has discontinued their cart/stylus portfolio, how would a Jico N447 aftermarket stylus perform vs the Shure stylus?

Is the Jico output voltage the same or different? is tracking force same or different? What about compliance? Is sibilance same or improved etc?

No--JICO does not publish specs for their replacement styli--if you beg nicely, they may provide you with something. Shure is getting out of the business, but there are still lots of the stock Shure styli out there (right now) and they are still not that expensive (yet).

The output voltage is controlled by the cartridge so it should be the same with the Jico as the OEM.

9.1 milivolts per Shure specification sheet. Jico's is also the same, their cantilever is made like the original Shure too, complete with tie wire, it's as rugged as a Shure original too, (I'd know if that was different really fast).

Thanks Kent. Any difference in sound quality / build quality or sonic signature between the Jico N447 and the recently discontinued Made In Mexico Shure OEM N447?

Thanks Kent. Any difference in sound quality / build quality or sonic signature between the Jico N447 and the recently discontinued Made In Mexico Shure OEM N447?

Sounds as good as original. Good enough and consistent enough for me to use them professionally on air or if I am doing club DJ duty. I'm finicky about the consistency of my tools. And how they sound. I am using Jico N44-7 every day, and feel confident about them. I see no downside at all to them. They work for me. They're better than Mexican Shure N 44-7 styli, on par with USA original N 44-7 styli in every way! And great quality.

Reliable and detailed Jico specs unobtainium.
Emailed Jico months ago but no response.
  • Is the Jico N44-7 .6 mil or .7 mil?
  • What is the difference between Jico “improved” styli and regular styli? Is “improved” defined somewhere?

I alway thought it was the case but an EVG replacement I got for an M91ED shows less output. It also depends of the magnets in the stylus as I've learnt recently...

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/evg-n91ed-lower-output.827583/#post-11747512

Strange I don't recall ever seeing any magnets on a replacement stylus. Where are they located?

All the replacement stylus I ever remembered replacing was just a diamond mounted on a cantilever with a plastic grip and it would slide into a hole on the cart. And I thougt the magnet was imbodied in the cart and the cantilever would slide through it when you replaced the stylus. I didn't think you got a new magnet on a replacement MM stylus.

I haven't owned a MM cart in a long time.

Last edited:
Comparison video with comments about other aftermarket styli:

Totally agree with him. Even though am not a follower of his tutorials... To add to his comments, I've taken it a step further; recently to DJ out I switched to second hand Shure M44-7 cartridges and went for the Jico "basic" DJ N44-7 stylus (non glowing with no shield) for export (differs from their Japan ones) that take 3.5 to 5 grams VTF. Bind into MONO and fitted in heavy alloy Ortofon SPU 'G' type cartridges, those Jico styluses sing beautifully on sixties and seventies 45's. Even on todays LP's we've compared OEM, with standard Jico replacement and the Jico DJ version to favor those last lower compliant.

They cost €29 (+ P&P) and seem to last evenly to the OEM. So more than a fair price for a solid contender of other modern cartridges proposing similar capacities in use, performance and achievement. Some seem to push some AT models that apparently offer close performance for cheaper money when bought new. But since I don't mind second hand and for some reason am not attracted (maybe without good reasons) to the AT brand, I will likely only hear them 'XP3' for example when someone will allow me to.

The output voltage is controlled by the cartridge so it should be the same with the Jico as the OEM.
Actually, it is the other way around.
Cartridge output is dictated by which stylus it is coupled with.

Regarding the question of the op, I have no direct experience.
I only have the mexican-made N44-7s but I'd trust KenT's word on that matter.

However, there are at least couple of products by JICO, labelled as N44-7 and wonder if they are all the same output.
One is a heavier tracking 'DJ' version (improved) and the other is a 'classic' (non-improved) that tracks lighter (1-3g).
There are also a variety of colored anniversary ones, that must be just like the 'DJ' version.

Last edited:
Reliable and detailed Jico specs unobtainium.
Emailed Jico months ago but no response.
  • Is the Jico N44-7 .6 mil or .7 mil?
  • What is the difference between Jico “improved” styli and regular styli? Is “improved” defined somewhere?

Quoting them at Jico's they say .7 and they use to give specs .6 in the past... Likely an implemented change in manufacture.

Improved is only with the stylus shield/guard.

Some seem to push some AT models that apparently offer close performance for cheaper money when bought new. But since I don't mind second hand and for some reason am not attracted (maybe without good reasons) to the AT brand, I will likely only hear them 'XP3' for example when someone will allow me to.

The Audio Technica AT-VM95C and the AT91 will sound quite similar in terms of tonality.
The output is vastly different of course.
Those Audio Technica sound a bit 'smoother' while the Shure sounds a bit more 'lively' and has a particular 'slam' on percussion work that's characteristic of the M44 line.

You can adjust M44s brightness and 'liveliness' a bit, by adjusting capacitance.
Lower (200pF total) will make them more laid-back while higher (500pF total) will make them very forward.

Try them out and decide.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom