TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

I have the +. Will pass on the +D based on the comments here. I don't see the "value" if I already have the older model. For those who don't have the Volt I can see getting the +D as an option. It just seems that the + is a better buy for less money.

Audio obsession is not a rational hobby. Audio folk pretty routinely pay larger and larger amounts of money for smaller and smaller improvements. I do think the volt+D is a better amp than the volt+. It's probably not twice as good, but it's well within the realm of improvement for which audio folk will happily pay 70 or 80 dollars more.
The Volt+ vs. a tpa325x amp is a pretty interesting comparison though.

A lot of what we do isn't necessary, but we do it any way...
This is rational. I think this aspect of the hobby is best left for people with tremendous self control. I need to get more self control. :D
i might have to pm you if my pcp install goes south again.

Audio obsession is not a rational hobby. Audio folk pretty routinely pay larger and larger amounts of money for smaller and smaller improvements
Or a larger and larger amounts for a "sideways" move.
If one day i get into dumping crystals on my electronics (i'll stop posting). :D
http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm
Brilliant_Pebbles_All.jpg

Decisions, decisions but a good one I made a few years ago was this 6n3 preamp. Adds some wonderful tube goodness to any of my class d amps. For under $40 on eBay it's a no brainer purchase. I don't play the Volts or my APPJ/MW without one. Amazon has one in a case for $99.

This is my bedroom setup which i use for testing (and burning in interconnects). If the mods / tweaks get through this... it goes to the living room.
A passive attenuator into a tweaked YJ BB. This is run @ 14v from a linear supply, which very thankfully... i found for cheap.

roomsetup1.jpg

Last edited:
This is rational. I think this aspect of the hobby is best left for people with tremendous self control. I need to get more self control. :D
i might have to pm you if my pcp install goes south again.

Or a larger and larger amounts for a "sideways" move.
If one day i get into dumping crystals on my electronics (i'll stop posting). :D
http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm
Brilliant_Pebbles_All.jpg
Tho it is none of my bismuth, one AKer had these intriguing colourful crystals displayed on a piece of gear.
52620130527179.jpg

Last edited:
Can someone please suggest an inexpensive class d and power supply for me to try out? If possible I would like a 100 per channel watt amp, but if that not smart at small price levels 50wpc would be OK. I don't really want to mod, I just want plug and play. Something good value well under $200

Thanks

Can someone please suggest an inexpensive class d and power supply for me to try out? If possible I would like a 100 per channel watt amp, but if that not smart at small price levels 50wpc would be OK. I don't really want to mod, I just want plug and play. Something good value well under $200

Thanks

There's lots of info and very favorable comments in this thread regarding the high power TPA325x amps. Maybe someone else can give links to completed versions.

Wow, just taking a look at some 3255 amps you can get a 2.1 system with some serious go power. I can probably poke around and find something. I like how all the specs are in 4 ohm. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom