15-yr.-old a/v receiver: fix it or not?

My big, beautiful Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi refuses to power up. She's 15 years old. Mothballs or do I start throwing money at her?

I would think a 15yr old AV Amp to be obsolete. My guess would be the value only around $100-$200.
Sell it for parts.
Get a new 4K unit, you'll have HDMI connections, 9.2 with atmos and less of a rat's nest of wires to play with.

I'm currently going through my 17 yr old vsx d850s. It started humming. When I broke it all down I found the following.
Main caps pair, one was starting to swell up.
Then on the main board and the regulator board I found Numerous fractured solder joints. Not component failures, just 17 yrs of expanding and contracting. I have lytics on the way and I am soldering away at the bad joints. This is not a modern amp but it still worked. Now it will work like designed, but with new and better supply caps. I think my list is about 30 something lytics. I have completely resolderd the main board & regulator board.20180724_084707.jpg 20180724_084616.jpg

Attachments

• 20180719_085530.jpg
    20180719_085530.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I agree with some of the comments. The latest AVs are pretty incredible: almost an endless array of channels, good power, a proper provision for a sub, even a turntable (Onkyo and Denon). At the moment receiver prices are very reasonable. You can probably get a receiver with 5 channels (at least), 100 watts, dolby etc. for a good deal. Think it over.

Agreed, contemporary A/V receivers are way high on the value meter, especially if you avoid the TotL and buy close-out models. They can even make great stereo preamps!

FWIW, I get pallet loads of old AVRs.
Upgrade orphans.
IF I can flip a high end one for $100, I’m lucky.

I am starting to scrap working units due to lack of sales. I try to keep the real gems around a while but stuff needs to move.

Point being, replace is cheaper. Repair rates are too high and these are too packed full to make repair easy. The monster AVR are almost solid inside.

I love my TOTL Yamaha AVRs but once they die they are headed to the recycler.Pretty much goes for any AVR I own.

Yup, they are so valueless that you can replace cheaper than repair.

FWIW, a high percentage of the Yamaha I get work great. There are a couple models that are known to be flacky but not many.

Also FWIW, pre-HDMI stuff nearly always works fine. HDMI stuff seems 50-50, but I am seeing stuff from recycling so I would expect to see broken things.

Given that I am seeing tons of stuff from recycling, maybe its worth noting that most I see either work or they don't. So if you are looking at one cheap, if it works, great. If not, walk away.

My parts come to about 55 bucks. Maybe Christmas I can get a better reciever. I have audiophile taste on a low low budget. Lol

Not. Unfortunately, it can likely be replaced more cheaply than it can even be diagnosed, much less fixed.

I know this thread has been resolved, but not bloody likely! Buying the equivalent receiver in today's dollars would probably be at least $2500. Hell it was $1700 retail back then.

I recently had a Yamaha RX-V850 repaired with multiple blown ICs and it cost me $100. Small price to pay IMO considering the quality of the unit. Yeah, I could've gotten another one used for around $100, but then you don't know what you're getting.

And I was able to support a locally-owned business!

I know this thread has been resolved, but not bloody likely! Buying the equivalent receiver in today's dollars would probably be at least $2500. Hell it was $1700 retail back then.

I recently had a Yamaha RX-V850 repaired with multiple blown ICs and it cost me $100. Small price to pay IMO considering the quality of the unit. Yeah, I could've gotten another one used for around $100, but then you don't know what you're getting.

And I was able to support a locally-owned business!
Quite bloody likely. I mean replaced with a used one. I have a hard time believing you didn't understand that. Seven years ago I bought a used Kenwood AVR (VR-206, by no means TOTL but more than adequate for my purposes). It's still working and sounding great. Fifty bucks, and it was suggested to me that I overpaid.

How do you go wrong?

FWIW, a high percentage of the Yamaha I get work great. There are a couple models that are known to be flacky but not many.
Also FWIW, pre-HDMI stuff nearly always works fine.

Blhagstrom, a question for you, at your convenience, if you will...

I have a RX-V3000, that works perfectly on the analog side, and has noise problems with one of channels on digital inputs. Since this is an overkill garage receiver. I’m more than happy using just the analog side. Nothing looks obviously wonky; as you say, pretty packed inside, but very clean. This thing led a very sheltered life. Any thoughts on what might be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Regarding the Rx-V3000 have you checked the flux capacitor for crystal skull oxidation? Deoxit could clean it...

I know but I couldn't resistor.......

:banana:

I'd move on. Unless you can diagnose and repair it yourself, the repairs will exceed the value of the unit especially since there is little love or demand for outdated AVRs.

Well fellas got her back together with new relays and all the most important caps upgraded. Had to stuff the main caps in there. I found numerous solder joint issues. I have no audible hum. I'm not going to say it sounds drastically better. It does sound cleaner and quicker. Things that have fast attack are for sure better. Voice is more intelligible. All in all 67 bucks in parts.

Attachments

• 20180731_212715.jpg
    20180731_212715.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180731_191349.jpg
    20180731_191349.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180731_190356.jpg
    20180731_190356.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom