Votes: 4 15.4%
  • i've never tried them

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • or?? have you tried pignuts?

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

jami w.

just being me thats all
i miss eating these, would love if i had a black walnut tree with in walking distance of me. haven't eaten them in about 15 yrs!
i used to collect them as a kid with my grandparents.

for those who enjoy them, do you use them for cooking? or for snacking on?
im just curious

or how about the *other nut*-
yes pignuts, those also grew in my grandparents back yard. loved those as well!

Last edited:
As a kid (I'm 46) we had a little patch of trees we'd frequent, and pick those up by the bucketfuls.

Still enjoy them, still eat them.

Did you know they can expel parasitic worms in your intestine?? Powerful medicine.

Mom baked them in Banana Bread, Brownies, and on occasion, cookies. What was great was my brother hated them, so more Mom and Dad and I. Our property had 2 trees, supplying more than enough nut meat for our family and the squirrel population in the neighborhood.

personally i freeze them/then thaw for baking. helps the oils taste a lil better (imo)
i've done black walnut crusted baked haddock, added them in with the waldorf apple salad(spelling) ice cream, grammahs walnut coffee cake, an just plain snack on em.

As a kid (I'm 46) we had a little patch of trees we'd frequent, and pick those up by the bucketfuls.

Still enjoy them, still eat them. (your very lucky) i miss the taste of them.

Did you know they can expel parasitic worms in your intestine?? Powerful medicine.
nope i never knew that, never had any health/med issues while or after eating them.

When I was in preschool (about 1960) I distinctly remember the class being given ball-pean hammers for recess. During season we would go out in the yard and have at the crop of walnuts that had fallen. I can taste them in mind even now.

I always had them around as a child when visiting my grandparents. My father still searches for black walnut flavored ice cream wherever he can find it. Most of his favorite brands have quit making it over the years. It's probably an acquired taste for some, but something I've always enjoyed my entire life.

My father still searches for black walnut flavored ice cream wherever he can find it. Most of his favorite brands have quit making it over the years.
There's a certain large ice cream chain here that usually offers it. I don't eat a lot of ice cream, but that's my favorite when I do have it.

Yup. Yum.
Downside is that almost nothing will grow under them (just started hostas, which seem to be doing ok so far), and they hurt like heck when one clobbers you from 50ft up. My neighbor had to have his trimmed b/c of 'incoming rounds' on their deck - the tree guy estimated it was producing about 1500 nuts per year (most of which ended up on my flat garage roof - yuck).
Squirrels get fat, happy and stupid around here.
PS. Remember to put chicken wire over your roof vent openings!

I would gladly trade my three peach trees for one walnut tree. For the past three weeks, I've had bears eating the peaches every morning. One of them raked a bunch of fallen peaches into a big pile, then plonked her fat butt down for a feast.

I love black walnuts myself. My town used to be full of trees, a couple in every yard, but now they are all gone. Been gone for 20 years or so. Seems like them, persimmon and china berry trees, just up and left town. That's Ok though, we have always had more pecan trees than we can handle and I love pecans a little more than walnuts..

I have 3 trees near the creek on the back of my property. They are a total PIA to clean up every fall! Pm me if you want to collect them and haul them away!
Regards,
Jim

I prefer english walnuts (carpathian) myself ... easier to shell and better flavor IMHO.

Take forever to grow and get a crop from though. I got a couple about 30 years old and have yet to see a nut ... ;-{

For now, I just hit the grocery store when they're in season and fill up a few bags that can get me thru the winter. Just put them in airtight containers when I get them home or they'll tend to pick up bugs and such.

Back
Top Bottom