What should you do if you and your partner don't have the same taste in music?

Steven Stills said it best.

So we change partners
Time to change partners
You must change partners
Again

Ah who am I kidding? I haven't got a freakin' clue. :oops:

Now that I've read all your comments, it kind of scared me. "Tip of the iceberg" hmm

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think I'll go with the my own listening place. I think it's giving respect to both parties. This is hard if you want to keep yourself and your partner as well. lol but yeah, someone did mention about compromise. I guess I need to be doing a lot of it from now on.

By the way, I usually listen to Howie Day. Do you think it's bad?
Good idea.

Kind of depends on what kind of music being played....

I had two wives from foreign countries and they had no problem with what I listen too...of course they didn’t like everything I enjoyed. Who does ???

What's the big deal? You listen to what you like, she listens to what she likes, you take turns using the gear. You can also each load up a portable music player, say a nice SANSA device w/ extra data card for more space (SANSA can playback FLAC), pair of headphones for each of you, Bob's your uncle. :music:

Just tell her you could go ride motorcycles instead...

Then she makes him fit a sidecar onto it, heh heh. Ride ruined!

P.S. Motorcyles fitted w/ sidecars are only cool in WW2 film footage, American Pictures International "beach" movies (Eric von Zipper & Co), and American silent films, the comedic short variety in particular, of the 1920s.

Last edited:
Hmm. Well, now. There, then. My first wife and I did not have much common ground musically. Notice I said first wife.

My second wife and I have a lot of common ground musically. She's still my wife.

No, seriously, it's going to be different for everyone. It depends on how much music means to you, I guess. Can you put up with someone who judges your taste in music, who makes you feel uncomfortable playing the music you like, and so on?

Wow, some people here are basically telling you that your relationship will never work-out in the long run because of music.

This'll ruffle some feathers here... Music isn't everything.
You've been given some great ideas (other than to split-up over music.) on different things you can do, to be able to enjoy your brand of music without bothering your partner.

I wonder if those same people think the relationship will never work-out in the long run because you like spaghetti and your partner doesn't?

Then she makes him fit a sidecar onto it, heh heh. Ride ruined!

P.S. Motorcyles fitted w/ sidecars are only cool in WW2 film footage, American Pictures International "beach" movies (Eric von Zipper & Co), and American silent films, the comedic short variety in particular, of the 1920s.

...and the cool cat I saw loading 2x4's, 2x6's and full sheets of plywood onto his flat sidecar on his Guzzi. He said he'd been doing business on that rig for 10 years.

My wife and I have a simple way to handle this situation. Our bedroom is immediately in conjunction with the living room. Because of my f'd up back, sitting in a chair for any length of time kills me. Due to this, I have a system in the bedroom and a TV. I spend as much time as I can stand with my wife in the living room, but when the pain is too much, I go in the bedroom. We are in close enough proximity that we can converse. If it is too loud we shut the door. I have the dual Sansui system in the bedroom, she has the dual Pioneer system in the living room. Both systems are large and loud. My wife's chair is is next to the system so I have a cable to tape 1 ready to go all the time. She hooks up to the cable and she is set to go, using her laptop as her source. This works for us.

What also work especially well for me is that my wife is addicted to Bingo; so at least 3 nights a week she is out and I can blast my bluegrass to my hearts content. :cool: :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom