Van Halen better with Roth or Hagar?

Roth or Hagar

• Roth

Votes: 512 80.6%
  • Hagar

Votes: 123 19.4%

• Total voters
DLR. There's no question...BUT, They were two very different era's. If SH was fronting VH in the beginning, they wouldn't have gotten as far as they did.

Yeah, I know, old settled thread...........

I'll take Sammy any day of the week. I'd like to hear David attempt to do "Bad Motor Scooter" or any of the other Montrose / Hagar classic stuff. David was an ego and a showman but that's where it ends for me. I will say that I liked Dave's sense of humor in the early days, even if his vocal range is about three notes.

I'd like to hear David attempt to do "Bad Motor Scooter" or any of the other Montrose / Hagar classic stuff. ]

Interesting, because I wouldn't want to hear Hagar doing any of Roth's stuff. Not that I have any desire to hear Roth do any of Hagar's stuff either.

Interesting, because I wouldn't want to hear Hagar doing any of Roth's stuff. Not that I have any desire to hear Roth do any of Hagar's stuff either.
You are aware that Sammy did some of David's Van Halen stuff in concert. Not the same because their personalities are so different but Sammy did okay. I suppose David could attempt Sammy's songs but he lacks the vocal range and sense of timing that Sammy's always had. You like David and I like Sammy and let's leave it at that.

You are aware that Sammy did some of David's Van Halen stuff in concert. Not the same because their personalities are so different but Sammy did okay. I suppose David could attempt Sammy's songs but he lacks the vocal range and sense of timing that Sammy's always had. You like David and I like Sammy and let's leave it at that.
I don't do concerts. I especially don't like remakes which is what Sammy doing Dave's songs would be. Just like Dave doing Sammy's stuff. I like Sammy, I just don't like him in VH as much as I like Dave.
Hot, Sweet, and Sticky, Three Lock Box, VOA, Can't Drive 55. All great songs.

I don't do concerts. I especially don't like remakes which is what Sammy doing Dave's songs would be. Just like Dave doing Sammy's stuff. I like Sammy, I just don't like him in VH as much as I like Dave.
Hot, Sweet, and Sticky, Three Lock Box, VOA, Can't Drive 55. All great songs.
Fini.

Seriously? "Fini" is Italian for 'it's over' or finished. -30-
Not seriously. Just a little joke, I think. And its origin is French, not Italian. Italian would be "finito".

While I'm here, quick vote for DLR, if I didn't already. Not that he was a better performer or anything (Sammy, as has been acknowledged elsewhere, had vastly superior vocal range and chops), I just think the material they came up with during Roth's reign was of a higher quality.

Not seriously. Just a little joke, I think. And its origin is French, not Italian. Italian would be "finito".

While I'm here, quick vote for DLR, if I didn't already. Not that he was a better performer or anything (Sammy, as has been acknowledged elsewhere, had vastly superior vocal range and chops), I just think the material they came up with during Roth's reign was of a higher quality.

I really am not a fan of Van Halen but I could tolerate Sammy's presence while I strongly dislike all but a few of DLR songs. Van Halen's (the band's) songwriting skills were mediocre, imho.

When I lived in Italy I heard "fini" all the time. I suppose it to be slang or a verbal shortcut.

No, non è molto divertente.

E io ti ho detto non più, C'est fini. (sorry, my French is extremely rusty)

Questo argomento è morto. Basta, per favore.

Ich meine, dass es vorbei ist. Dieser Thread ist ermüdend. Ich wünsche Ihnen einen guten Tag.

consummatum est

Last edited:
Roth during the early days.....

His videos on early MTV like.....”I’m Hot For Teacher” we’re fantastic. Haggar’s best was....”I Can’t Drive 55” !

Back
Top Bottom