what small speaker packs the biggest sound ? 10" x 10" limit

I'm going to show my wife this! She thinks I have a problem, though does encourage the hobby also!

It is fun for sure. The box allows for switching to different pairs OR a mix of pairs OR all at once... thus making it a wall of sound. I think my wife secretly thinks it’s a hoot, but keeps her thoughts to herself in fear of me creating a wall of amps/receivers at opposite end of my shop.... hmmm, now there’s an idea!!

Are you after ultimate sound, or a perfect fit? Some of the Realistic Minimus series might work (e.g. Minimus 8). Some versions use Foster drivers and may sound pretty good, but with limitations. Low power handling for one.

I have a situation where I need a smaller speaker set with maximum dimensions of 10" wide x 10" tall x 10-12" deep. They also need to be vintage, as they would stick out terribly if they were too modern looking. They will be fitted into my 'wall of sound' comprised of 1960-70s vintage Klipsch, KLH, Wharfedales, Fraziers, Altecs, Kirksaeters, ARs, etc. I am at a loss of what to look for with that size limitations, any suggestions appreciated.

Vintage - JBL 4401 damn things will best most vintage bookshelf speakers.
IMG_3245.JPG

There's a clean set on ebay now for 150... if I needed them I'd buy them myslef...

B&W DM12

IMG_4095.JPG

IMG_4108.JPG

Relistic Minmus 7s... no pix sorry...

QLN Model 1s -

All 3 are some of my favs, can't say enough to about the 4401s, small yet pack some serious sound.

EPI and Genesis had a few sets of Model 1s I think they were, pretty great sound stage as well...

Good luck with it :)

Kind Regards,
John

It's been a long time since I heard them (used to work for a retail chain that sold them) but a pair of early Wharfedale Diamonds would do the trick size wise. I never paid much attention to them back in the day because they were so damn small and were never set up properly.

A couple weeks ago while scrounging at thrift stores, I came across a pair for $15 so bought them for a bit of nostalgia. Printed on the back are the instructions "for best results, place 6" from wall". Positioned like that, I actually got lost (a good thing) in the music.

During my 3 LP listening session, I was liking them more than EPI/Epicure M50's - another pair of good sounding small speakers I seem to have acquired.

M50's are close to your size requirements at 13" X 10" x 8".

Last edited:
ADC 404 are 12" x 8" x 8" and sound much bigger than they are. They also have the look you're after.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Tannoy makes a 10" coax you place in a custom box and port. They are about 96 db 1 meter 1 watt. JBL and Altec made 10 " woofers you could match up with a tweeter that put out about 98 db 4 ft 1 watt. In fact I think Electro voice did, too. An Ev T-35 tweeter crossed over at 3500 hz might be a nice combo. I did that with an Altec woofer and T-35 with the speakers placed corners for control rooms and monitor rooms and the response was smooth to 45 hz and the highs reached nicely to 17 Khz. There are bound tobe others, but I don't know how strong they will be. CHeck Klipsch for book self speakers. They are always efficient.

Years ago when I had the idea to build my own (never happened) I read that a cube is the worst enclosure for a loudspeaker.
Yet here we are. I guess a lot of speaker designers missed the memo.

The diminutive and highly recommended Overnight Sensations sound like much larger speakers. Since they're a kit you can learn about speaker building and also make them look vintage whatever that means.

PA310043.jpg

I'm wondering if you've given any thought to getting rid of all or most of them and using the proceeds towards one really good pair of speakers?

I'm wondering if you've given any thought to getting rid of all or most of them and using the proceeds towards one really good pair of speakers?
Look out, you are talking smack about my children! Not only are they fantastic sounding, they are way better looking than any modern units the rich metrosexuals buy. Besides, it’s just my shop and I consider it my techno art installation.

Look out, you are talking smack about my children! Not only are they fantastic sounding, they are way better looking than any modern units the rich metrosexuals buy. Besides, it’s just my shop and I consider it my techno art installation.

Lol; well I take that as a "yes I have given some thought to it but I've decided against it" Have fun and enjoy the newest addition to your brood.

Back
Top Bottom