Mechanical keyoard fix!

CT Jim

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Seems like I wear out the Logitech keyboards, even the expensive ones, so when I saw a Ducky One mechanical keyboard on CL for less than half of a new one I went for it. Being busy, I didn;t hook it up till 3 weeks after I bought it, so I don't have the sellers text number anymore to let him know I''m a little pissed.
No offering less, just trying to help someone with mobility issues, while helping myself.
Some of the keys, the Cherry MX series, don't work correctly, but I'm working my way thru the issue.
Pulling the cap on the offending key, and adding a couple drops of Deoxit D100L seems to restore the contact issues with the 5 keys I'm fighting with.

Let's hope it brings all of them back, although the ^&^^%$b is stubborn! A keyboard that runs $125 new should run for ^&&^%$ ever!

Hmmm; I'm wondering how exactly does a keyboard "wear out"? I've been hammering on my hp keyboard for well over a decade now (have also spilled coffee on it a few times) with no issues

The cheaper ones with the rubber dome contacts will sometimes have the rubber crack. Once that happens you either get erratic key operation, multiple letters, a lack of return, or some mix of that. The letters also wear off the keys if you have a concern about appearance. They also tend to get gummy as dust and dirt mixes with the grease on the plastic key part where it slides in the keyboard body. I've pulled them apart and washed the keys before, but if you don't re-lube them its a plastic on plastic sticky typing action. The amount of grease is somewhat important, too much and the keys are gummy. If you're a hunt and peck typer it will probably never bother you but if you type using all your fingers and with some speed you'll get irritated at the sloppy action and random missed or duplicated letters pretty quickly.

so yeah, as someone who has worn out a number of keyboards over the years I understand.

Back
Top Bottom