Movies that haven't been on TV in a while

...tick...tick...tick
1970 film starring Jim Brown and George Kennedy
have not seen it since the late 70s

The Omega Man (Charlton Heston battling zombies in the original (almost) I Am Legend)
The World, The Flesh and The Devil (early apocalypse movie w/ Harry Belafonte, Inger Stevens & Mel Ferrer)

Last edited:
I was asking my 25 year old daughter if she had seen "Help" ( she likes a lot of Beatles stuff).No! I haven't seen it in years. It must never pop up on TV.

More than half of these are shown on TCM, some several times a year. The vast majority of the movies I watch are from the 30s and 40s, so I pretty much live on TCM.

How about any of the films featuring Shirley Temple when she was a child, the films produced between 1935-1937 in particular, e.g., Heidi, Dimples, Poor Little Rich Girl, Curly Top, etc.?

IIRC, Temple's film Heidi was sorta the (television) film of the High Holidays (ie end of December) until Capra's production Its A Wonderful Life came along @round the mid 1980s and dethroned it. Do I have that right?

"Sleepers West" with LLoyd Nolan as Mike Shayne. Done before there were ANY rules for safety. Dangerous stunts with a steam locomotive hitting an oil truck stuck on the track!!!!!!!

How about any of the films featuring Shirley Temple when she was a child, the films produced between 1935-1937 in particular, e.g., Heidi, Dimples, Poor Little Rich Girl, Curly Top, etc.?
That's the one I was gonna cite. In a similar vein (cast standpoint): the 1968 production of The Planet Of The Apes maybe?
Just watched the first 3 PotA movies in May, and Shirley temple movies are on quite often. Usually on weekend mornings every few months on Movies!. It's an American network though. No idea if you could find some way to stream it in Germany.

A few I can think of:

Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)

The Andromeda Strain (1971)

The Great Waldo Pepper(1975)

Hell to Eternity(1960)

The Hunters (1958)

Ok, how about some of those AIP "beach party" themed films (using the term "film" loosely) that Bill Asher churned out in the early and mid 1960s, e.g.:

Beach Party
Muscle Beach Party
Bikini Beach
Beach Blanket Bingo
How To Stuff A Wild Bikini
Dr Goldfoot & The Bikini Machine
The Ghost In The Invisible Bikini

...and a few of others...

As many of these featured Harvey Lembeck as Rat Pack bike gang leader "Eric von Zipper", Buster Keatone in various roles, "Candy the crazy twist dancer",, and even Don Rickles & Paul Lynde in a couple of 'em, I love a lot of these films. (Annette & Frankie I could do w/out, but they were the catalysts & thus musts for the productions to happen @ all)

Anyway do these see their way @ current television programming? Maybe @ cable only, @ one or more of the "nostalgia material" outlets?

Last edited:
Well, I haven't watched movies on regular television for probably 30 years or more as I can't stand commercials. I only watch them on commercial free cable stations or subscription services like Netflix. Most of the films mentioned in this thread just aren't viable for normal stations, so the "nostalgia material" outlets are the places to seek out.

There was just recently a "beach party" movie day on TCM and many of the films listed were shown. They have theme days every month and Shirley Temple themes (and just random individual films) are fairly common. TCM airs movies from the 1920s-1980s and ranges from true classics of all genres to obscure gems to cult films, so the material is quite broad.

My buddy (in his 30s) asked me about "old movies" about six months ago and wanted suggestions, as he was sick of a lot of the sex/graphic violence/profanity that is so pervasive in more modern films. Every month I'd get the TCM schedule and send him a list. Now his usual viewing material is old films and his DVR is almost full every month. I stopped giving him recommendations 3 months ago.

The only time we had a slight disagreement was when he decided that he might just prefer a young Barbara Stanwyck to Myrna Loy. ;)

Ok, how about some of those AIP "beach party" themed films (using the term "film" loosely) that Bill Asher churned out in the early and mid 1960s, e.g.:

Beach Party
Muscle Beach Party
Bikini Beach
Beach Blanket Bingo
How To Stuff A Wild Bikini
Dr Goldfoot & The Bikini Machine
The Ghost In The Invisible Bikini

...and a few of others...

As many of these featured Harvey Lembeck as Rat Pack bike gang leader "Eric von Zipper", Buster Keatone in various roles, "Candy the crazy twist dancer",, and even Don Rickles & Paul Lynde in a couple of 'em, I love a lot of these films. (Annette & Frankie I could do w/out, but they were the catalysts & thus musts for the productions to happen @ all)

Anyway do these see their way @ current television programming? Maybe @ cable only, @ one or more of the "nostalgia material" outlets?

They do. The Ghost in the Invisible Bikini I've only seen on once that I remember, but the others you listed have been on several times in the last few years. I even watched the first four once.
Over the next two weeks they're airing around ten of Elvis' movies.

Haven't seen "Logan's Run" lately either.
I've been watching for that. Haven't seen it come up yet.

"Logan's Run" aired earlier this year on TCM. I was going to DVR it, but decided I'd just catch it next time.

Back
Top Bottom