Best small receiver (physically)

AudioWizard

Need a small bench receiver, I was thinking about a Marantz 2210/Sansui 551/ NAD or ?Looking for recommendations.

The Marantz is one cool little receiver indeed. I almost bought one once just because it was so cute, like a dwarf bunny rabbit. :biggrin:

The Marantz is a 2010, and I just sold mine on BT a few days ago. Bit pricey for a bench receiver.

Try to find a Realistic or Superscope receiver, they had some small units.I use a Superscope integrated, small 10?watt unit, one channel out, for speaker centering during refoaming.

I recently gave my B-I-L a Sansui 221 to use in his home office, that's a really small receiver yet it still has the traditional phono inputs and a tape monitor loop, pretty good tuner too:
sansui221receiver1.jpg

But truthfully for the test bench I like a Pioneer SX-626 because I can separate the pre and power amp sections for testing other power amps or preamps, use the tuner section as a source when working on tape machines, use the phono section for turntables and of course the monitor loop for three head tape deck work. It's even got a mic input if you need to test out a microphone or a guitar. It's got a fairly small footprint for a receiver with all those features plus they're common as dirt and pretty cheap, really good to have around the bench. If you buy a working one change out the bias pots on the power amp board first thing though, they go open all the time and blow the outputs / drivers.

front.jpg

I love Advent receivers. In addition to the model 300 mentioned by mhardy, also check out the 420S. It's tiny, not much bigger than a Minimus 7 speaker. I just purchased one and it's great!

Quadraflex also had a tiny little receiver. I can't remember the model number now, but it was quite small and supposedly very nice sounding.

-Matt

I use a lepai or Kinter for auditioning speakers and input devices on the road but the Nak and Advent have pre-outs for the bench.

I really like and use the Yamaha Pianocraft series as my bench receiver. I use the e400 which is pictured here, but they have a few different mini models. I keep the matching CD player on my bench as well.

BB5E53EF-1ED4-4540-B424-62248CC0DFC1.jpeg

Dan

Thanks for all the input, I forgot totally about the Advent and the small Naks and the Yamaha's . Forgot to mention that I will be hooking this up to my ST 1200a test panel, for that I need record out and aux input. I just want something small size wise. In the past I have used a Marantz 2210, 2215, pioneer SX424, SX525, HK 330. I have a small NAD that I was thinking of using, but I use it in the R&D part of the shop for background music, because it doesn't take up much room.

Thanks for all the input, I forgot totally about the Advent and the small Naks and the Yamaha's . Forgot to mention that I will be hooking this up to my ST 1200a test panel, for that I need record out and aux input. I just want something small size wise. In the past I have used a Marantz 2210, 2215, pioneer SX424, SX525, HK 330. I have a small NAD that I was thinking of using, but I use it in the R&D part of the shop for background music, because it doesn't take up much room.

To let you know the Yamaha RX-E400 that I use had an aux input and a record out. If you’re into it, there is an FM tuner and subwoofer out. It’s literally like my RX-V3200 without the decoding etc. The photo below is not the U.S. model by the way.

14C0F149-EB1F-4EA7-A85C-4D88445EF100.jpeg

Dan

I have a Realistic STA-12 set up with a pair of Cambridge Audio(minimus 7 size) speakers that plays almost all day, every day in the kitchen of our house.
Is it the best? I don't know about that but it does sound great and takes up almost no space at all.

NAD 7175 pe : Fantastic sounding and can handle 4ohm loads.

Attachments

• FA5AF631-75FF-4D16-A099-8892EBEC99B1.jpeg
    FA5AF631-75FF-4D16-A099-8892EBEC99B1.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 28
I really like that Advent and it's understated dial tuner. I almost pulled the trigger once but it was a little too pricey.

Back
Top Bottom