What is it with ADS speakers that some folks are so high on?

Reviews review reviews.... Most people outside AK dont have the luxury to listen to dozens of different speaker from DIY to small batch speakers and all of the myraid of speaker makers that folded in the 70' & 80's. Why do folks gush over all lines of ADS but poo poo B&O speakers that utilize Seas & Philips & Vifa drivers. I have many many speakers that would take a big poo poo on most of the ADS lineup for less money as well. That said I still have a set of L710 and Braun powered speakers that I held onto because they were free:beerchug:
Good question. Bandwagon mentality me thinks. Tech types love to say the components are hard to work on. Well duh, a 2” tall receiver is going to be cramped compared to the 6” tall receiver everyone else was building. It’s like a computer tower vs a laptop. Everyone that’s heard of B&O will tell you the cartridges are expensive. What they seldom say is how great they sound. Probably because they never heard one. And so it goes, speakers found guilty by association or just unknown. I brought my B&O M70’s to an AK meet. I was driving them with a very pedestrian JVC receiver. Almost everyone said the same things about them - They loved the design, the matched rosewood veneer, the stands and the very detailed presentation. Go figure.

I had a pair of 810/2’s I bought from my neighbor when I convinced him to upgrade to the Kef 104/2. While they had sounded good in his system, in my room they were sh*#. I traded them toward a set of Meridian M10’s at a local shop. I worked long and hard to come up with the $1800 price tag on those mint used lovelies.

I have really enjoyed this thread. How boring would it be if everyone just liked one speaker system? That said, one mans trash is another mans treasure so to speak. I enjoy my ADS for all the reasons stated, and can appreciate those who have a different opinion as well. I can disagree, and still learn from those who prefer another choice. I've often said of another members system how proud I am for them to have the systems they have, and I mean that in the most sincere way, because although many have MUCH better systems and equipment then I have the end result is that I appreciate the simple fact that in the end, they are doing the same thing as me, listening, smiling and enjoying. That said, I don't know what it is that somehow my ADS sound different somewhere between the 3rd and 4th finger of a very old Bourbon. Gonna have to study on that. (pleasant smile)

Last edited:
I do think ADS ushered in the modern era of speakers and we as vintage audio enthusiasts kinda teeter on that line a bit here with our ADS. They have a great combination of vintage and modern attributes with quality of construction, well designed drivers, and both wide and narrow baffle(tower) designs. Wonderful value frankly.

The shop I worked for in the 70s sold lots of 710s and 810s coupled with Harman Kardon receivers, Philips turntables and Sonus cartridges. They had a touch of boxiness not shared by the Dahlquist, Magnepan and Acoustats we also sold, but were quite good sounding against their competitors in the day. They were more open than comparable ARs and didn't suffer the directivity issues and overt *technicolor* coloration of JBLs like the Century.

I ran tri-amped Braun LV-1020s from 1974-1976.

I preferred Acoustat and Magnplanar at the time, but they had so many issues and required bigger amps that they weren't that practical.
So many issues? The panels are virtually bulletproof. I've found Acoustats quite practical since 1977. Yes, they do require a bit more power than others. The 2+2s I ran for twenty some years did quite well with a Threshold Stasis and later with 500 watt VTL amps. Here's a view circa '03:

system200306.jpg

And today, use 1+1s supplemented with subs below 50 hz in the HT system on a daily basis driven by a pedestrian 300 watt/channel Emotiva XPA-5 :

ht.jpg

Last edited:
Easy answer is ....... soft dome tweeters and mid-ranges are detailed and easy on the ears ... so they're tolerant of SS electronics

Been noticing that ever since I purchased a pair of AR LST's when I was young (like 40 yrs. ago) ..
ADS stuck with soft domes for a long time .. neutral and detailed .. not harsh ..
Their sins are sins of omission ..

Planars or metal domes are quicker and more extended, but they will also emphasize every harsh edge in the electronics chain so that chain will require a lot of $$$ and time to get it smooth enough to take advantage of metal or planar driver's detail .. IMHO.

Last edited:
I've personally never had the pleasure to hear any model ADS speaker. I can say this though, it is number 1 on my list to hear and possibly own. Of course there are several other speakers out there that I want to hear but ADS intrigues me the most. From reading all the threads here on AK, from their looks and build quality, to the silk dome drivers (which I prefer with any speaker) I hope to come across a pair soon. As we all know though, they ain't cheap as I believe the rest of the world has caught on too , to how good they are. I really believe with all things considered it would be a brand of speakers I would really enjoy to listen to.
I'd say listen to a pair first, before you say you'd like to own them. Having owned a pair of L810's, they are not for everybody. Like me, you may grow tired of them. The grass isn't always greener elsewhere.

I have many many speakers that would take a big poo poo on most of the ADS lineup for less money as well.

Even though I started this hobby a few years ago, I haven't taken the opportunity to sample many speakers, except for a few ADS models. Could you list a few other brand models to keep an eye out for?

I always liked the nice wood veneer and metal grills on the bookshelf speakers they made in the 70's and 80's. Regret selling the ones I had ages ago. Unfortunately you cannot keep it all.

soliliquy
urei monitors
synthesis
KSA
Philips with ribbon tweeters
etc....
WTF, how about something he could actually find*. But I guess that is a good list for those in target rich environments to put on the list of possibles. I've updated my list.

*OK, maybe those mass produced speakers aren't as good. Happens with all kinds of things.

Even though I started this hobby a few years ago, I haven't taken the opportunity to sample many speakers, except for a few ADS models. Could you list a few other brand models to keep an eye out for?
May I suggest to start listening to the videos in the video thread. Obviously not as good as being there, but you'll get a pretty good idea of how the many systems and speakers sound, and some you may like.
Glenn

May I suggest to start listening to the videos in the video thread. Obviously not as good as being there, but you'll get a pretty good idea of how the many systems and speakers sound, and some you may like.
Glenn

Good, idea. I'll check it out.

I have a pair of L520s i picked up in really beat up condition for low cash.
Loved 'em. Crisp and clear with a nice mid sound.
While i was refinishing them i decided to grab a pair of much more expensive L710s in excellent condition in hopes the 3 way design would give an even better mid representation.
For some reason the 710s actually sound much more scooped in the mids and darker sounding.
I'm hoping there's something gone awry with them that's a simple fix. If this is just their sound I'll probably move on from them and check out some other ADS models.
For what it's worth my Canton Karat 200s are probably my favorites. Wish more Cantons came up locally.

Mike

my easy way of saying why I like my 1230's is they play everything WELL! they have a lower maintenance reputation for not needing a major crossover overhaul, mostly there is one electrolytic that needs to be swapped out with a new one (look up Mundorf caps for replacements) ADS made a decent crossover. make sure the box's are sealed too. and if needed there is Richard So to send your drivers to.

my easy way of saying why I like my 1230's is they play everything WELL! they have a lower maintenance reputation for not needing a major crossover overhaul, mostly there is one electrolytic that needs to be swapped out with a new one (look up Mundorf caps for replacements) ADS made a decent crossover. make sure the box's are sealed too. and if needed there is Richard So to send your drivers to.
Good point on the crossover overhaul. If I were to put one of those poly-pop cans in place of the one electrolytic in my 780's, my grandkids could enjoy them without ever having to open them up.
Unfortunately, they won't be able to enjoy the benefits of Richard So, unless he's got an heir apparent.

Back
Top Bottom