Goodbye 2230, Hello 1060

Bodyblue

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have had my eyes peeled for a decent Marantz 1060 for almost six months. The problem was finding one in a decent wooden case; after having receivers in the WC22 I can't stand to see naked components in the front room. I really and truly was torn about buying on eBay. I trust eBay and like it but I hate the thought of shipping on such a heavy item, and the pain in the ass of having to deal with damage. I looked on CL and FBM and found one that supposedly was rebuilt with a case but it is up in Oroville (85 miles) which is a hot and nasty drive with all of the wildfires going on. So I decided to take the plunge on this 1060 I had been watching on eBay for a while. It almost seemed to good to be true, but when I got it this morning, it is in spectacular condition. The case was a bit dry but a coat of Feed N Wax took care of that and there is hardly a scratch on the veneer.

The past week or so I have been listening to AC/DCs first album, High Voltage, as I really like the bluesy feel it has, especially The Jack. So it was "It's A Long Way To The Top" cranked so hard I watched the speaker grills flex on the Imperial 6s that was first up......then The Jack. Both songs were overwhelming at high volume for our small front room and had the whole room shaking. Next up I switched gears and played some Miles Davis on vinyl. His horn was piercing, the drums tight and overall sounded great played on the 6150. Right now I am playing some George Benson and just like with the 2230, the Marantz synergy is just incredible.

Now does it sound any better/different than the 2230? Not sure yet but it does seem to have a bit more power than the 2230 which like most Marantz receivers was probably under-rated. I have a Kenwood KA3500 in the bedroom that I was using the Imperial 6s with and the sound is very similar to the 1060; smooth and powerful with the sensitive Imperials.

I am selling the 2230 along with the case back to Delta Breeze in Sacramento where I bought them. I am taking a small hit on them but it is so much easier than dealing with eBay or CL. The owner knows the receiver and knows me so the transaction will be easy and fast. Why did I trade one for the other? Because I have a lot of time on my hands and wanted to hear a Marantz integrated and also wanted a bit more space on the stereo stand in the front room. I really like the Kenwood KA 3500 with tuner I bought last month as well so I had to have at least one Marantz separate.

20180810_120029.jpg 20180810_120013.jpg 20180810_120101.jpg 20180810_120120.jpg 20180810_120628.jpg

Last edited:
Handsome unit, and big, too. I always thought those were smaller, from pictures just by itself.

Would love to hear it!

It is a lot shorter left to right than a 22xx series receiver, the same for front to back. The thickness is about the same however. I like the look of it however I must admit to missing the Marantz greenish blue glow of the tuner dial......I am sure I will get over it though......It freaking sounds great with the Imperial 6s. I am going to get out my Imperial 5s next week and hook them up just to hear the difference on the same amp.

Congratulations on a fine piece of gear. I came very close to buying one a few years ago but I was hot on the trail of my first tube amp so I passed on it. I think they sound great as they are but have read about some modifications that elevate it to an even higher level. That leaves you with one more move, stepping up to separates (the 1060 is an integrated amp, not separates.)
In peace. :angel:

the 1060 is very very nice, I use mine currently as my bedroom system with JBL 4312 and the match is great!.... the 1060 has a charm on it´s own -I love cap coupled amps- I also have separates from Marantz, 3300 and 250M... they are awesome... different than the little 1060, but overall better... enjoy your new toy!

MrMrsMarantz_2.jpg Marantz_1060.jpg

I looked at seperates before I decided to go with the integrated mainly because of the form factor. I wanted something smaller and the 1060 was pefect. I am not sure why I had a brain fart and called it a separate. If we move to a bigger place ( not likely anytime soon) I will certainly look into separates but not in our small place.

The Kenwood KA 3500 I have sound very nice as well, quite close in fact to the 1060. But where I notice the difference is in how the two units "feel ". The Marantz' knobs have a greater heft to them. The Kenwood in no way feels cheap, just that the 1060 feels heavier.

I can't justify the matching tuner for the 1060 since I virtually never listen to the radio and it would not fit anyway. I did not mind paying the "Marantz tax" for the amp, but paying it on something I would never use is not going to happen.

Congratulations on a fine piece of gear. I came very close to buying one a few years ago but I was hot on the trail of my first tube amp so I passed on it. I think they sound great as they are but have read about some modifications that elevate it to an even higher level. That leaves you with one more move, stepping up to separates (the 1060 is an integrated amp, not separates.)
In peace. :angel:

Until we move, which is doubtful anytime soon, this will do for a long time. Our bedroom is actually bigger than the living room and I keep the more powerful amps in there......but spend more time in the front so try and figure that out!

I am in the bedroom now listening to the Kenwood 3500/Pioneer CS88 combo and it sounds great, but a lot different as can be imagined. I had the CS88s recapped and I really like them....the bass can be crushing at higher volumes but overall i prefer the Imperials. I had the Imperials on the 3500 for the past week or so and simply prefer the Marantz speakers.

I won't throw shade on the Kenwood though, it sounds damn nice.

20180809_111522.jpg

Back
Top Bottom