Recommended New 5.2 & 7.2 Surround Receivers? $350 on Sale or closeouts preferred

Harvestor

Addicted Member
Okay Experienced Home theater people...

I'm looking for a economical 2016 or newer model that Decodes all the surround formats . .. Atmos NOT Needed
Or DTS X...

ALL OTHER FORMS OF DTS YES...
DOLBY TRUE HD YES..

My main concern is to have 2.2 HDMI and more than a hundred watts per Channel... Reliable Watts not fake. .. hyped up BS. ...

Some of the new Bluetooth capabilities are kind of cool too...
But not as important...

I'm looking at Denon , Pioneer, and maybe Yamaha. ...
Onkyo seems to have a lot of repair issues from what I'm looking at and Marantz seems too expensive but I am open to ideas from the people with more knowledge than I... .

I have a Pioneer Elite that is pre Dolby Atmos DTS X that I absolutely love but I don't have the money to be to getting another one of them. .
This one is for my secondary living room surround sound set up for 5.2 that replace my 120 watt per channel 7.1 Sony STR DA2000ES that was getting very anemic with power and broke and quit working...

So I'm kind of anti Sony...
But open to ideas....

I don't want to spend anymore than $400 out the door Maximum...
I don't need Pandora Netflix and all that extra stuff because I do not have cable or satellite nor will I ever have it....

It would be neat to be able to screencast from cellphone..but not necessary

Thanks for your help in advance!

Have you considered Accessories4less? They have a large selection of refurbished practically new AV receivers and other gear. Their prices are very reasonable and they offer a guaranty. I bough a Yamaha HT receiver from them. It resides in my bedroom.

Were I in the market for a ~$300 AV receiver I'd give a long hard look at the YAMAHA RX-V681 7.2-Ch x 90 Watts Networking A/V Receiver @ $299.
90WPC is so close to 100WPC that there's really no difference.

They also have Denon, Integra and Onkyo receivers for the same price.

Have you considered Accessories4less? They have a large selection of refurbished practically new AV receivers and other gear. Their prices are very reasonable and they offer a guaranty. I bough a Yamaha HT receiver from them. It resides in my bedroom.

Were I in the market for a ~$300 AV receiver I'd give a long hard look at the YAMAHA RX-V681 7.2-Ch x 90 Watts Networking A/V Receiver @ $299.
90WPC is so close to 100WPC that there's really no difference.

They also have Denon, Integra and Onkyo receivers for the same price.
Thanks for the suggestion..
I will be looking at the website..

Skip the Onkyos, the Sonys, the Pioneers. Go straight to Yamaha. The Yamahas are the best built and engineered for your budget. Look for a last year's middle class model (it should get you within 20 watts of your desires on the front channel ratings), do most of what you want if not all of it otherwise, and even perhaps throw in Atmos. For your price or very little more. A current model would cost double or even more like it. The best you can do for the budget. Compromise a little, but not too much here. 70-80 watts channel RMS on the front channels, less than 1 percent THD, and handles the new surround formats. Doing 100 watts x 7.2 rated your way is very high $$$ to accomplish.

Last edited:
I still prefer Pioneer first, Denon 2nd, NAD third. Yamaha could be building the best ever, and they still wouldn't be on my list. They wronged me to many times in the past. And when you make a living installing the stuff and it lets you down it embarrasses you and the company your work for. You can sell 10 great systems , but one wrong will sour the the other 10. And the issue was much worse than that. How can a company that. makes beautiful musical instruments that have to be so precise mechanically, not be able to build any thing in their electronics division with mechanical parts that will perform consistently? But thats the way it was in the 80's 90's and 2000's. Of course our shop repair men thought it was great. Until they started to see the same units over and over again over long periods of time. Repairing speakers for free was no fun either. Boston wasn't known for their build quality either.

I know this is way above your pay grade. But I have Mcintosh. components that are 50 years old and never have been touched and others that went over 25 30 and 35 years with out servicing. I admit I have had two that didn't reach 15, but those were very very rare. Thats one reason why their resale value is so high. They all still sound great and that is what is important. So go look for a Pioneer Ellite unit that has been well taken care of.

Last edited:
I really like the Yamaha TSR-7790 for $20 more...dual HDMI out, component video out, and pre-amp outs...
Preamp Outs makes it a killer deal for $320 (refurbed)!
I have plenty of sweet amps to run the speakers with -
I just need the decoding/control center!

Only thing I can see lacking is discrete rca inputs for multichannel audio -
tho it does have Coaxial and Optical in, and 5HDMI ports!

May be its time to finally replace my Integra ...
a Christmas gift for the family!

Last edited:
Preamp Outs makes it a killer deal for $320 (refurbed)!
I have plenty of sweet amps to run the speakers with -
I just need the decoding/control center!

Only thing I can see lacking is discrete rca inputs for multichannel audio -
tho it does have Coaxial and Optical in, and 5HDMI ports!

May be its time to finally replace my Integra ...
a Christmas gift for the family!

Multichannel inputs on Yamaha AVR's has been disappearing for a while now. My RX-A3030 has multichannel inputs. The next model after, the RX-A3040 did too. But the feature was dropped after that. A shame.

Back
Top Bottom