Help needed about metric thread sizes

nh36000

Too many notes!!!
All;

I need to replace a set screw, a head alignment screw, for a cassette deck that I have. It is a small one and one side of the flat screw driver slot, has broken off.

Spec. charts for metrics aren't too tough to find but this one seems to be an odd thread size.

A chart tells of an M1.8 as being .071" in outside diameter, and an M2 being .078" in outside diameter. Using a dial caliper, I measured this set screw as .075" in Dia.. Dividing half the difference between M1.8 and M2 gives .0035" and that added to .071" gives you .0745". Close enough for me.

Is there an M1.9 standard? Is there such a thing, in metrics, similar to National Course and National Fine standards for imperial measurement? That might note the difference in O.D.. I don't find an M1.9 listed anywhere. What is it?

Does anyone here know where I could find a replacement?

Also, if I knew the actual specs. for the set screw, I could make one from a screw. You know, grind the head off, grind a point on one end, trim it to length and use an Exacto saw to cut a screw driver slot in the other end.

I noticed that the Rec/Pb. head was tilted back at the gap in the head and I have two tapes that are wrinkled up and another that it broke the tape in half. It needs!

I've got it working now, but... Just not in the right place yet.

Any ideas, please,

Lu.

I see that I didn't mention, the deck is a BIC T-3.

HiFi Engine has an SM but it lists only a part number, no specs.. Just a dash there, behind the Pn.. Every other screw is labeled well, though.

Lu.

Try the m2, if not it is probable that its the m1.8.

The outside tolerance for an m1.8 is 1.781 to 1.696 mm, which in inches is .066 to .070".

This leads me to think its an m2.
.075 diameter falls into the m2 tolerance of .074" to .078"

Gaz;

Thank you for the reply, it makes sense to me.

I just got a phone call from BobbyBlues, a local here and AK member. He suggested that I look up Newark, in Illinois. I'll give that a try as local h'wrare stores sell metrics down to M3, but nothing smaller.

Thanks again, good information.

Lu.

Gaz;

Thank you for the reply, it makes sense to me.

I just got a phone call from BobbyBlues, a local here and AK member. He suggested that I look up Newark, in Illinois. I'll give that a try as local h'wrare stores sell metrics down to M3, but nothing smaller.

Thanks again, good information.

Lu.
Call local optometrist and see if he has a eyeglass screw kit with any m2. The max size in glasses is generally no bigger than 1.4mm but if the kit is extensive enough, there might be some m2 there.

Even better, a cellphone repair shop

WOW, you know it.

There is and eye doctor office just blocks from me , here.

I'll go over tomorrow to see what I can find.

Thanks,

Lu.

Back
Top Bottom