Dog woke up paralyzed.

OldStuff

I just thought I'd throw this out in case any of you has ever had this happen to you. I have three large (about 80-85 lbs. dogs, all sisters). The other night I noticed that one of them was hardly able to move her rear legs. In the morning she was completely paralyzed. I took her to a vet and he gave her some medications, but there has been no difference. I ordered some other stuff off the internet and I will try it and see if it helps her. I read about ticks causing this problem so, I put some medicine on her coat, but I doubt that she has any. So, today I will build her a wheel chair. I think it bothers her to pee on herself, so I made a harness that I can hold her up while she relieves herself. It seems to me that her sisters are confused, they just don't understand what happened to their sister. I hate seeing here drag herself around, but when she makes up her mind about something, theres no stopping her. So. I have to run and get the harness to help her out.

Depending on where you live there are lizards and toads in Fl that can cause paralysis in dogs if they put them in their mouths.

Did the vet run lab on her (blood tests)?
If so, he should know something more definitive.
Blood generally tells all.
Also, you don't have to stay with the same vet and if this one can't tell you what the problem is another vet more than likely can.

My Nikki, a mixed foxhound, developed Acquired Myasthenia Gravis, which, over the course of a weekend, caused her, at first, to exhibit reduced use of her back legs, on a Friday night. By Monday morning, she could not walk, breathing was difficult, and she couldn't eat any food. She would swallow, but regurgitate her food, which had not gotten all the way to her stomach. My vet's office hadn't seen a case in over 25 years, between the two partners, with over 50 years experience. The diagnosis can only be positively confirmed by a special blood test, which takes over a week. By then, the confirmation would be post-mortem. If your dog develops difficulty swallowing, and keeping down what she takes in, that's a primary symptom, one of about 15. AMG is a neuromuscular disease, one that is auto-immune mediated. There is a medication that is given to people with MG. If your vet thinks it might be MG, Edrophonium can be used for diagnostics. Pyridostigmine is used for maintenance, i.e. daily, for life. Not all dogs respond to the medication. My Nikki did not. I hope, first, that your dog does not have AMG. If she does, I hope she responds to medication. The brand name for Pyridostigmine is Mestinon.

Thoroughly check for ticks. There are some nasty things that can be caused by them, though rare in the US.

We have a dachshund that lost movement and control of his rear legs. After trying a few things, our vet tried prednisone which reduced inflammation in his neck or back enough to allow him to recover enough motor control to walk and do his business.

He is also on gabepentin. He is an old dog and dachshunds are prone to back problems, but he also seems to have 9 lives and he keeps coming back. One other possibility to think about.

I've been breading Pekingese for over 18 years so I have a lot of real world experience. I have seen this one time myself. A female, she was 4 at the time of the event. She has her sister and mother here also, no issues. A day like any other, up at 5am and she could not move. Booth rear legs seemingly paralyzed. No real sign of damage or inflammation, a mystery for the vet to solve. They just like us they can be found in odd positions during sleep. Pinched nerves or aggravated disks can cause temporary paralysis. Steroids and other anti-inflammatory drugs will most of the time bring back all motor function. It took around 10 days for my girl to regain here mobility. Hopefully your girl responds well to her meds. Just be patient, keep her stress level low and limit her range area. It took a lot of rest for my Minuet to recover, hopefully it will work out well for you also.

I want to Thank You all for your assistance! I am sorry it took me so long to respond, but my cousin and I spent most of the day running back and forth getting the supplies I needed to build Marcela her new wheel chair. So far it's been hit and miss with measurements, but it seems to be coming along very well so far. When this first happened her sisters didn't like the idea of me messing with her, but when they saw her trying out her new wheel chair they seemed to be all right with it. Marcela didn't seem to mind at all either, maybe it gave her some hope. I had to buy some puppy training pads because she wants to sleep inside with us and her sisters and it's been raining like crazy here. I don't want her alone right now any way. She never used to wet inside, but she's probably a little confused right now (no big deal). I doubt that if this were to happen to me, I would be as brave about it as Marcela has been. When I go to check on her she always seems to be smiling at me, just happy to see me. I also am making it a point to bring her some gifts. She doesn't seem to have any other systems other than the rear paralysis. A frog could be the culprit, because we are getting a lot of rain and they do come out in groves. I will definitely talk to my vet. about having blood work done on Marcela. I still have to make some adjustments on her wheel chair, but if all goes well she should be trying it out tomorrow. I sure hope she likes it!

Symptoms of Colorado River Toad poisoning in Arizona:
  • shaking of the head
  • foaming at the mouth
  • mouth irritation
  • excessive drooling
  • rapid breathing
  • overheating
  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • vocalizations
  • dilated pupils
  • weakness
  • loss of coordination/collapse
  • seizures
  • dark red mucous membranes
A neurological event would sometimes be accompanied by indications in the eyes like the dog is experiencing the spins.

Rich P

Last edited:
Please keep us apprised, and do have the bloodwork done. It may be that she can be diagnosed and treated, thereby making a wheelchair unnecessary.

Best of luck.

Pusteiniakr, no she doesn't have any of those symptoms. Boy am I grateful, that sounds like it would be horrible for those poor dogs. I can see where having a small dog right now would make a world of difference. She's about 80 lbs. and I'm now 61 years old, so lifting her up and down is more exercise that I've been used to for a while (probably, good for me not so good for her). I'm glad to say that for the condition she's in, she sure gets around. Hopefully, today I will have all the kinks worked out of her wheel chair. Thanks!

Hope everything turns out ok.There use to be a large german shepard in my town that was in a wheelchair for her non responsive back legs.Never seemed to bother her atall, that dog went everywheres.

I live in a small town and so my dogs veterinarian only come to town on Saturdays. So, I need to e-mail him and set up an appointment for some blood work on Marcella. Hopefully, it will give us more information as to what is going on with her. The medication he gave me for her has run out and I don't see any difference. So, I am trying something else. I have never had to build a wheel chair before, so it all new to me. The hardest part is measuring Marcella. She seems to be in good spirts when I put her in the wheel chair. Yesterday, I spent customizing it for her and my main concern has been safety, comfort and fast in and out.

Bless you for stepping up for Marcella, you know she would do the same for you.
Definitely have blood tests done. Your vet, knowing what the symptoms are, should at least know what to look for.
Hoping for the very best for her here!

Back
Top Bottom