Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekends

I have not noticed any hum from mine. Audible improvement may depend on your tastes. To my ears, the 6AQ5 sounds a little warmer with bigger bass. I for sure like using 6AQ5 more than the Russian 6P1.

Maybe I just got a good pair, but I do like the Chinese 6P1 and I flip back and forth between that and 6AQ5 depending on my mood. The Shuguang to me have just a touch bigger soundstage, maybe just a bit more clarity.

The brand of adapters I bought was Suzier:

https://www.ebay.com/p/1-6aq5-to-6p1-Vacuum-Tube-Amplifier-Convert-Socket-Adapter/774673389?iid=283013398632&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=fb39342e039e43ad88ad5f927aade5d9&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=12&sd=291940470526&itm=283013398632&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Thanks. Shuguang makes some excellent tubes but my APPJ/MW came with generic no names. Love the Shuguangs in my 2a3 Bottleheads.

Mine are about 8 ft apart, very little toe in, maybe 5 degrees, and I sit about 9 ft from the speakers.

And when you measure, it's edge to edge right? I just want a pro to come in and set up my stuff to perfection. LOL. I am sure not a pro when it comes to setting up two channel audio systems, I just know I like how they sound right now, but I could be missing out on even better sound quality. Sometimes you just don't know until someone else points it out to you. I always hate when people say, "If it sounds good to you then that's all that matters." Well, I don't feel like that is good advice. You have people out there who think their home theater in a box sounds fantastic until they hear a real home theater system. And they are blown away. I used to install home theaters for a living and I always felt good leaving someone's home after putting in decent speakers and a good AVR. It was mainly brand new homes and I would and most theaters were installed without subwoofers but when I would come back to tweak it and see if the home owner was happy, I would bring a small, good quality subwoofer with me. I would do a demo of a scene without the sub and 99% of the time the homeowner would say it sounds great. Then I would play that same scene with a subwoofer and 100% of the time, they said it sounds a lot better and wanted one. I went way off topic for a minute didn't I? LOL
My point is, people just don't know what they are missing out on until someone with more knowledge and experience than them points it out. And that's why I value everyone's opinion and advice on this forum. A lot of you have more experience and knowledge than me when it come to two channel audio. Special thanks to Poultrygeist, that guy knows his stuff and has given me GREAT advice over the past 3 years. Always very happy with his suggestions.
So thanks everyone!

Last edited:
And when you measure, it's edge to edge right? I just want a pro to come in and set up my stuff to perfection. LOL. I am sure not a pro when it comes to setting up two channel audio systems, I just know I like how they sound right now, but I could be missing out on even better sound quality. Sometimes you just don't know until someone else points it out to you. I always hate when people say, "If it sounds good to you then that's all that matters." Well, I don't feel like that is good advice. You have people out there who think their home theater in a box sounds fantastic until they hear a real home theater system. And they are blown away. I used to install home theaters for a living and I always felt good leaving someone's home after putting in decent speakers and a good AVR. It was mainly brand new homes and I would and most theaters were installed without subwoofers but when I would come back to tweak it and see if the home owner was happy, I would bring a small, good quality subwoofer with me. I would do a demo of a scene without the sub and 99% of the time the homeowner would say it sounds great. Then I would play that same scene with a subwoofer and 100% of the time, they said it sounds a lot better and wanted one. I went way off topic for a minute didn't I? LOL
My point is, people just don't know what they are missing out on until someone with more knowledge and experience than them points it out. And that's why I value everyone's opinion and advice on this forum. A lot of you have more experience and knowledge than me when it come to two channel audio. Special thanks to Poultrygeist, that guy knows his stuff and has given me GREAT advice over the past 3 years. Always very happy with his suggestions.
So thanks everyone!

I think you measure from the center cones but I don't think it's that important. I just got out the tape measurer and mine are 8'2" apart. But that is for my room, so there is no universal guideline. One reason I like Zu is although fiddling with placement can change the sound somewhat, they are pretty flexible in their placement demands. If you are not experiencing any harshness or glare and you are satisfied with the stereo image then you have them set up pretty well. More important than distance from each other IMO would be to fiddle with the toe in and distance from rear wall. And the floor gap for bass.

I have not noticed any hum from mine. Audible improvement may depend on your tastes. To my ears, the 6AQ5 sounds a little warmer with bigger bass. I for sure like using 6AQ5 more than the Russian 6P1.

Maybe I just got a good pair, but I do like the Chinese 6P1 and I flip back and forth between that and 6AQ5 depending on my mood. The Shuguang to me have just a touch bigger soundstage, maybe just a bit more clarity.

The brand of adapters I bought was Suzier:

https://www.ebay.com/p/1-6aq5-to-6p1-Vacuum-Tube-Amplifier-Convert-Socket-Adapter/774673389?iid=283013398632&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=fb39342e039e43ad88ad5f927aade5d9&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=12&sd=291940470526&itm=283013398632&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I looked at what I thought were no name Chinese 6P1's that came with the amp and they are indeed Shuguangs. Never used them before and you are correct they sound excellent. Thanks for the tip.

I think you measure from the center cones but I don't think it's that important. I just got out the tape measurer and mine are 8'2" apart. But that is for my room, so there is no universal guideline. One reason I like Zu is although fiddling with placement can change the sound somewhat, they are pretty flexible in their placement demands. If you are not experiencing any harshness or glare and you are satisfied with the stereo image then you have them set up pretty well. More important than distance from each other IMO would be to fiddle with the toe in and distance from rear wall. And the floor gap for bass.

Yeah, it sounds good as is but I am still going to play around with it this weekend. See what I think. Will post my results.

Well that is most certainly great news to hear. Pretty much the exact same thing Gerrit at ZU told me. Which makes me happy because Gerrit also informed me that my Electric Blue DW's with the clarity cap upgrade are packaged up and ready to be shipped. Didn't get the clarity cap upgrade on my first pair of DW's so I figured what the heck. Let's get another pair. Lol
How long did you have to wait for your blue? I ordered a set in mid June and it sounds like there is QUITE a ways to go before they ship.

Thanks for the responses.

Is this typical? 7-8 weeks in and not yet in production? It's making me nervous that I made a mistake. I had seen reviews talking about "long, 4-6 week" delivery times, so I expected that.

I was charged immediately, but I really have no idea when I might see speakers and I have received no communications or updates from Zu. Gerrit was somewhat reassuring on the phone, but he really had no estimated timeline either. What is the real lead time I should have expected?

I'm excited to hear these. I purchased based on reviews, which I don't normally do, so I have my finger's crossed.

@HiFiJeff Did you get a chance to listen to the clarity cap versions yet? Curious how it sounds compared to your original pair of DWs. I'm sure I'll order a pair and install them myself, maybe after I finish building a Decware ZKIT.

Thanks for the responses.

Is this typical? 7-8 weeks in and not yet in production? It's making me nervous that I made a mistake. I had seen reviews talking about "long, 4-6 week" delivery times, so I expected that.

I was charged immediately, but I really have no idea when I might see speakers and I have received no communications or updates from Zu. Gerrit was somewhat reassuring on the phone, but he really had no estimated timeline either. What is the real lead time I should have expected?

I'm excited to hear these. I purchased based on reviews, which I don't normally do, so I have my finger's crossed.

I know that the wait sucks but just keep in mind that they are limited runs and that you're getting a lot more speaker than the $999 price you paid. The wait is well worth it. Don't be nervous just be patient. You can always head down to your local shop and pay double or triple for a pair of B&W's or some other way overpriced speaker and have something by tomorrow.

@HiFiJeff Did you get a chance to listen to the clarity cap versions yet? Curious how it sounds compared to your original pair of DWs. I'm sure I'll order a pair and install them myself, maybe after I finish building a Decware ZKIT.

Not yet. I actually let someone leap frog me and get my pair of clarity cap DW's. Mine are about 4 weeks out.

Picked up some Dirty Weekends today! Sangria finish. Used all of about 10 hours. The guys wife said get em outta here. They are too big.

My lounge is carpeted. What's the intent with the idea of using a solid plinth piece under them? Should I just get a couple 15 x 15 pieces of tile or something? or put something together that's a little better somehow?

I see many like them a bit tilted up at the front to get the tweeter aimed at the ear and of course you need the space under them.

Used two pcs. of 12" x 12" stone tile ($5) .... fit is perfect ... tightened up the bass to my liking ... minimum gap at botton ... played with tilt ... settled on dead level.

Back
Top Bottom