Lets See All Them Axes

James, for my tastes and style of music played my buddies Tele just had way to much twang and was tinny sounding compared to the humbuckers in my Ibanez. The gig I mentioned I broke a string one song into the first set so I had to play the Tele for the rest of the set and I just couldn't get the sound or the power I wanted out of it. To each his own.

mine is a conservatively wound large magnet Tele pickup... little more like a P90. More raw than twang :)

When I got it, it had a Holdsworth Carvin pickup in it... a little to polite for me. I gave the pickup back to the seller (I bought my little Egnater head from him too)
1983_Ibanez_Roadstar_II_Deluxe_RS315.jpg

Sounds great, a very versatile guitar. Unfortunately I am selling due to my advancing arthritis.

That is unfortunate my brother. Nuthin' funks up geetarin' like hand/forearm pain. Heck, even nagging shoulder pain can put a crimp in things. Maybe switching to a new style, e.g., laptop slide, could offer some relief?

Sorry to hear that. It's one of the reasons I switched from dreads to OM / OOO acoustics.

Just curious: I'm assuming this is in reference to the "string-picking" hand, yes? If yes, how did the switch from the dreads to OOM / OOO effect an improvement in digital gesticulation(s)? IIRC (it's been quite a few years since I last owned & operated a Martin "O" family geetar, a OO-18 and/or Martic "D" type, a D-28) the scales & nut widths are not so very dis-similar from the dreads, so what is it about the makes the difference?

^^ Having thought about it a bit, I recall that while the OM and OOO, to the best of my recollection, have a slightly wider nut than the dred, the overall action of the "finger-picking" geetars is "softer" than that @ a dred. Is this what makes the difference w/ repect to playability w/ the arthritis?

That is unfortunate my brother. Nuthin' funks up geetarin' like hand/forearm pain. Heck, even nagging shoulder pain can put a crimp in things. Maybe switching to a new style, e.g., laptop slide, could offer some relief?
Actually, I switched to a Fender Thin Telecaster and the neck 9.5" radius seems to help. Never say never!

Mp4lfja.jpg

Not sure what I am going to do with the G&L. Maybe just thin the herd or just keep her cause she is so pretty.....likes to sleep with my Tele too!

Last edited:
It's actually both hands and also depends if you are sitting or standing.The main difference is a dread is bigger all around (particularly a square shoulder) whereas an OM/000, which I favor over an 00 size, tucks into the body and let's you assume a more comfortable hand position for both the fretting and picking hand. Now if I had stuck with classical, used a foot stand and had good posture some of this would be a non-issue. And yes, most guitars these days are 1 3/4 instead of the old 1 11/16th and the scale length is still 24.75 or 25.4. The main difference for me is the width of the lower bout and the depth of a dread versus the small body guitars.

That said, my Greven has a 17-inch lower bout but the depth of an OM so you don't have the same feeling of a playing a big guitar. Finally, you have to consider slope versus square shoulder. For me a slope shoulder and a short, Gibson scale will always be more comfortable, easier to play and less strain overall. It's also what I grew up playing and what I favor. Martin scale guitars have always been more of a handful, no pun intended, although I do love how they sound. The upshot of all this? Even though I just got a Martin CEO-7 which is really sweet, I'm still going to look for a vintage J45 / 50. A bit nuts but I'm a sucker for the Gibson sound and how a slope dread feels in the hands. Even if the hands don't work quite the way I want them to any longer.

Gosh, I'd completely forgotten about the differences @ lower bout configurations as I still, in spite of right (and left FTM) shoulder "issues" (scarred/stiff rotator cuff) get along very well w/ my 'ol '40s Gibson J-45 dred, but now that I read your reply, recall the relative "ease of access to the strings" with the various Martin "O Family" geetars I've owned in the past, a OO-18 ('early '60s model) in particular.
Thanks for the thoughtfully informative reply LJ.

Actually, I switched to a Fender Thin Telecaster and the neck 9.5" radius seems to help. Never say never!

Mp4lfja.jpg

Not sure what I am going to do with the G&L. Maybe just thin the herd or just keep her cause she is so pretty.....kikes to sleep with my Tele too!

That's the spirit man! Which is the G&L - the blond(e) or the 'burst? I can never tell 'em (G&L v. Fender) apart when the Tele body (only) is depicted. In either case both are purdy to look at and doubtless sound good. And anyone who sez Teles ain't Teles sans front "traditional single coil Tele PUP" hasn't had a good listen to The Stones geetarist, 'ol Keith Whatsizname , have they?

Hendrix claims to have slept w/ a geetar, usually Stratocaster 'cuz his V's were simly too wide, every night from circa '65 until, well, the year he died. IIRC the interview @ which he said this was taken down in 1970 (don't recall the month), so indeed near the end of his time here.

I'm mostly a bolt on/single coil strat type guy but I guess I'd been getting my rock on lately. The last three guitars I've bought have all been dual HB, neck thru metal-ish guitars

One is a hardtail Ibanez with a Duncan Distortion and a 59 in the neck and one is an LTD with a Floyd that I'll be putting an Air Zone and an Air Norton into over the weekend. The other one is one of those FMT Teles but with a sparkle top rather than any flamed maple.

I'll post some pics soon.

Picked up this 10 or so YO Squire Strat cheap at a radio show Friday,,, Just wanted a project to fool with,,, Disassembled and cleaned it a bit, replaced most of the rusty screws... Waiting for strings, set intonation and see how it sounds!
1st pic as found,, 2nd-3rd cleaned up, reassembled...

Attachments

• P4290096.JPG
    P4290096.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 17
  • P5010107.JPG
    P5010107.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 22
  • P5010106.JPG
    P5010106.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 16
I am into Ibanez Guitars with a love of 78/79 Musicians and also some Artists. I love my most recent addition, the 2017 Prestige (made in Japan, not China) Ibanez Artist AR-2619 (far right). The patriarch of the Ibanez Family is the 1979 Ibanez Musician MC-500, center stage pic. Now that is a guitar! I also am (see my avatar) a Fanatical Ritchie Blackmore Fan. Therefore, I just had to have his Fender Signature Strat. Nice strat for a "Made in Mexico" version. It is delegated to the corner of the room as the main stage is for the family of Ibanez. Poor Ritchie...................... outcast......... He would LOVE IT!

View attachment 1252598 View attachment 1252599

The RI Artist looks sweet. Had two 1979 Artists like that one. One had active electronics and the other passive. I loved the quality of those axes. Weighted a ton but beautifully crafted. I sort of regret selling them but like a bunch of other fine guitars I had I didnt play them. Hopefully they ended up with some one who does.

2006 Jimmy Page signature Les Paul Custom
2003 Les Paul standard 60's neck, Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups, complete with broken string.
2003 Les Paul standard 60's neck, Gibson '57 Humbuckers
1999 G&L ASAT, with Bigsby, its standard, and made in USA.
1995 Epiphone Double neck, got the original pickups from my Les Pauls, custom wiring, and its a pig to play....

I think I need another guitar..
View attachment 1228737

An ASAT with a Bigsby? Was that installed by G&L?

Back
Top Bottom