Man vs. Beast: CA-2010 restoration project

The basic check are the power supply voltages stable and around the correct value? Seldom exactly what the SM says but usually close. Part of that may have to do with your power company and what voltage you are getting at your location. Often it tends to run a bit above 120 Vac.

If you can easily get voltmeter probes on the metal cases of the output transistors with one probe on the transistor case and the other against the metal chassis you can check the main power supply rails. The main power supply rail feeds the collector and with those metal can output transistors the case is basically the collector. That is why they have to be electrically isolated from the heat sink by a mica insulator with thermal paste or a silicone thermal pad. One set should be driven by the positive power rail and the other set the negative rail. Playing music at normal levels if the voltages are near spec I would expect all is okay in the power supply. The older cap coupled amp designs (1960s into the early 1970s) are a bit different, one pair of transistors normally operates at about double the voltage of the other pair.

My Yamaha was the first time I redid the thermal paste on the output transistors. Got too much on the bolt threads of one transistor isolating it from the power supply which led to a blowing a replacement driver transistor and fusible resistor. I had put the amp back in the state it was when I got it. Took me some time to figure out the problem. After that I always check the continuity between the case and collector connection on the other side of the heat sink to make sure I don't do that again. Either that or power it up and check the voltages on the cases.

You may need to fabricate a replacement bridge using four diodes, such as 4x1N4007 (or lower in the line rated 400V or more) if either are bad. Should be able to diode check each leg for proper function. NTE claims to have an equivalent in the NTE5304.

Being rated 1.5A may need a higher current diode. I believe that the 1N4001-4007 series is rated at 1A.
This is a perfect drop in: https://nl.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Semiconductors/W01G-E4-51?qs=D6r9GjgEnNOSs4GBSeDBWA==

The MJE15033G and MJE15032G arrived half an hour ago from digikey, dropped them in. set the bias voltages and in both normal and class A mode i have sweet music.
there is a channel imba;ance that i need to look into.

at fist i noticed that the right channel; is louder and i sighed, then i realized that the balance knob is probably not in the mid point as the faceplate is off so i sighed with relief, then i set it at the mid point but i still think that the right channel is louder so thats somwthing i need to look into. next im gonna test the phono input and if it works, im gonna wrap it up.

to these ears the phono input on CA-2010 sounds better (more mid forward and livelier) than schiit mani.
this is awesome. thank you to all of you who helped me out so much.

Just step up to the Vishay W04G or W06G at 400 and 600V respectively. Mouser has both in stock at $0.69 if they are needed.

to these ears the phono input on CA-2010 sounds better (more mid forward and livelier) than schiit mani.
this is awesome. thank you to all of you who helped me out so much.

So does that mean its all back together and working well now?

So does that mean its all back together and working well now?
well the restoration is not complete but. Yes for now the immediate problem is solved. i only had time to play music for 5 minutes and i had to go take my car for emissions inspection. i'll be doing more listening during the weekend. sounds very good. im a little worried about the couple of pads and traces that were raised in the course my work. i want to try to make a replica of the power supply pcb. i installed some pcb design software and im trying to learn it. but i think that is a different project. I might still try to recap and restore the main amplifier boards as well. depennds on how the amp sounds and hoe stable it is and also what ya'll advise. right now the electrolytic board is basically 100% new, the power supply board is completely recapped and some semi conductors are also replaced + new omron rerlay. the function board is recapped 99%. the speaker terminals are new. the amplifer boards have not been touched and are 100% stock.

/////////////////////

im also finishing my modern usb dac project and i have high hopes for the combination.
orgntVl.jpg

Right now I have a early 70s Yamaha CR-800 that sounds fine with the original caps. Most everybody else had issues and recapping helped the greatly - some needed a number of new semiconductors and resistors to return to prime time form.

Good that you are making noticeable progress. Congratulations.

Not uncommon to have a few less than ideal work. My 610II has two jumper wires in it and the Scott 342-C got a bit butchered with all its issues. Can't always do great work.

Back
Top Bottom