TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Want to add a subwoofer and more inputs to your TPA without spending much money?

Here's a $45 passive preamp which does a great job but mysteriously goes by several names. Mine is a Nobsound L. Passive Selector but it's also called a HiFi Selector and may even be labeled Douk. It has 3 inputs and two outputs.

The two outputs are unusual in that one is volume controlled while the other is pass through. I'm currently using the pass through output with my Volt+D which has it's own high quality volume pot while controlling the volume of two bucket subs with the Nobsound. You can do the reverse of this with good results as well. It's totally passive but it's selector switching is powered.

As with any good passive it adds nothing nor takes away anything from the sound.

New-Nobsound-HiFi-Selector-Passive-Pre-Amplifier-3-IN-2-OUT-Audio-Preamp-A_14789315_ad4e473af420fca5b4eca4480aa548a4.jpg
Been looking for that unit Poultry,seems its been discontinued.
Would welcome suggestions for an alternative.
I want to run a sub with the Volt+D and any advice on how to accomplish this would be most welcome.
I have a choice of a small Sony sub or a REL Q200E[which is wonderful]

I want to run a sub with the Volt+D and any advice on how to accomplish this would be most welcome.

They can be found on eBay searching Nobsound or Douk 3 in 2 out passive preamp. Those from China are a little cheaper but can't say how long one might take to get here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nobsound-M...945175?hash=item3d54df9a17:g:4KcAAOSw8S9a7Eln

Connect up to three sources to the preamp. Connect the +D inputs to the preamp's pass through output labeled "B". Connect the preamp's volume controlled output labeled "A" via RCA cables to the

sub's line level inputs. Start with the sub's volume at half way and adjust the preamp's potentiometer and sub accordingly. The preamp's volume control will not affect the +D and you will use the +D's pot to

control it's volume. The passive preamp needs power for it's switching mechanism and I'm not sure it comes with a power cord but it takes a standard female three prong. You'll need RCA cables long

enough to connect the preamp to your sub. I think mine's around 6 or 8 ft and it doesn't need to be high quality. This could be a potential deal breaker for those who locate their sub far away from their

gear stand.

My experience with Emotiva has not been great. I have two of these. Barely average SQ, low real power, but worked ok bridged with subs until one gave up the ghost. One $10 TPA3116 runs rings around them with more usable power and the SQ is far superior.

emotiva_bpa1.jpg

Amazon has the Nobsound passive you want for $67. I use one myself and it is transparent, putting my well regarded preamp on the sidelines.

$600 for a stereo pair ain't exactly chicken feed but they do look interesting
It sure looks like a quality build, the Icepower module is the same one PSAudio uses in their $1500 Stellar S300 amp. Peachtree also uses them, I believe. The Stellar has PSAudio's analog class A input stage, the Emotiva doesn't appear to have a buffer.

It sure looks like a quality build, the Icepower module is the same one PSAudio uses in their $1500 Stellar S300 amp. Peachtree also uses them, I believe. The Stellar has PSAudio's analog class A input stage, the Emotiva doesn't appear to have a buffer.
It does appear to have a lot of "stuff", regardless.
Most of the "stuff" in the Allo+D is power supply conditioning, and that nice switchpoint attenuator.

I know that digital processing is supposed to be sonically "transparent", but I'm a ''less-is-more" guy.

They can be found on eBay searching Nobsound or Douk 3 in 2 out passive preamp. Those from China are a little cheaper but can't say how long one might take to get here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nobsound-M...945175?hash=item3d54df9a17:g:4KcAAOSw8S9a7Eln

Connect up to three sources to the preamp. Connect the +D inputs to the preamp's pass through output labeled "B". Connect the preamp's volume controlled output labeled "A" via RCA cables to the

sub's line level inputs. Start with the sub's volume at half way and adjust the preamp's potentiometer and sub accordingly. The preamp's volume control will not affect the +D and you will use the +D's pot to

control it's volume. The passive preamp needs power for it's switching mechanism and I'm not sure it comes with a power cord but it takes a standard female three prong. You'll need RCA cables long

enough to connect the preamp to your sub. I think mine's around 6 or 8 ft and it doesn't need to be high quality. This could be a potential deal breaker for those who locate their sub far away from their

gear stand.
Many thanks Poultry.Im in the UK and theres often stuff on ebayusa unavailable on ebayuk.Going to find it eventually.Great help,happy listening.:)

Here's the Nobsound passive ( right ) with the Volt+ ( left ) and Audio GD DAC ( middle ). A fan cools the hot running DAC. The passive is velco'd to a black box otherwise the weight of the cables would cause it to tilt backwards. A weight on top would accomplish the same thing.

P1010003.jpg

Last edited:
In the Volt+/Tekton system the power for the two bucket subs comes from this 300 watt Yung plate amp (left). It's located in a rack which has the components for the separate Lowther OB system. The gray RCA's are connected to the plate amps inputs and if you look in the picture above you can see it connected to the Nobsound passive.

P1010016 3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom