U Turn Orbit Plus or Fluane rt81?

Dion Fan

Alright. So at first I wanted the audio technica lp120. But after looking at many reviews i threw it out the window (not litteraly). So finally im stuck between two great entry level tables. The U Turn Orbit Plus and the Fluance RT81. Anyone know which one to go with? Or maybe even better tables to look at? I know all about vinyl and turntables. I have for almost 2 years now. And ive had 2 vintage tts (that both failed on me). Even though i may know alot. Im still a beginner,
but I am ready to pull the trigger on a modern deck.

+3 for the orbit. I had one for a couple years. I just passed it along to my son. I had zero problems with it. Mine came with the OM5 cartridge, wood base and acrylic plater. If you get one spring for the cork mat. The felt mat tends to come up with the record.

+5. Orbit Special Walnut owner here and happy with the machine and the customer service. It's a simple, elegant and well-done machine IMO.

I have both of these decks, the Orbit for the bedroom, and the Fluance in the basement. Both are solid, i wouldn't hesitate on either of them.

I personally think the Fluance is every bit of the deck the Orbit is. Cartridge changes are FAR easier on the Fluance. And it's old-school look is terribly attractive. It's got a thick rubber mat and is well isolated. If you could use the built-in preamp, it's pretty solid sounding. And no fuzting around with the belt for speed changes.

If you have no use for the preamp, and don't constantly need to go to 45, I'd just roll with the Orbit. Its very well built, and Ben at U-Turn is on the ball with customer service.

Any table with a built in preamp is a non starter, even for the cheap parts they use in the preamp the cost could of been better spent elsewhere.

I have both of these decks, the Orbit for the bedroom, and the Fluance in the basement. Both are solid, i wouldn't hesitate on either of them.

I personally think the Fluance is every bit of the deck the Orbit is. Cartridge changes are FAR easier on the Fluance. And it's old-school look is terribly attractive. It's got a thick rubber mat and is well isolated. If you could use the built-in preamp, it's pretty solid sounding. And no fuzting around with the belt for speed changes.

If you have no use for the preamp, and don't constantly need to go to 45, I'd just roll with the Orbit. Its very well built, and Ben at U-Turn is on the ball with customer service.

Thanks for the reply. This may sound weird but im an old school listener (50s and 60s) and listen to more 45s than lps. Also, ive heard the orbits exposed belt and light weight can be problems. Is that true? I already have an art djpre 2 phonostage already, so
Which one do you think i should overall go with?

+3 for the orbit. I had one for a couple years. I just passed it along to my son. I had zero problems with it. Mine came with the OM5 cartridge, wood base and acrylic plater. If you get one spring for the cork mat. The felt mat tends to come up with the record.
Thanks for your insight. Im thinking of just getting the plus. But is the wood finish something i should spend extra cash on. Or should i stick with the paint job.

Thanks for the reply. This may sound weird but im an old school listener (50s and 60s) and listen to more 45s than lps. Also, ive heard the orbits exposed belt and light weight can be problems. Is that true? I already have an art djpre 2 phonostage already, so

The Orbit is lighter in weight, but I don't consider that to be a problem, it is a very well isolated turntable, and it has good feet. The belt isn't a problem as far as being exposed, it more of a problem in that it stretches quite a bit when moved to 45. It already is a loose fit to the platter, so moving back and forth between speeds is a hassle, mostly because the belt has to "un"stretch back. I keep an extra belt around for playing 45s. But the end result is that I simply don't play 45s on it. The Fluance is simply easier to operate.

If you go with the Fluance, I'd suggest trying it with the internal preamp and with the djpre. I wouldn't be surprised if you preferred the internal one.

I really like the Orbit, if you think you don't mind dealing with the belt issue, it's a good table. The Fluance is quite a lot heavier, but the Orbit really isolates well considering how much lighter in weight it is. But in your shoes, I'm not certain I'd wanna fart around with that belt all the time. And the smoke dust cover is pretty cool looking.

Blu

Alright. So at first I wanted the audio technica lp120. But after looking at many reviews i threw it out the window (not litteraly). So finally im stuck between two great entry level tables. The U Turn Orbit Plus and the Fluance RT81. Anyone know which one to go with?
I've never heard either, but both have positive reviews from sources I trust. I would take the Fluance simply because it has more features I like in a low-cost 'table, such as a removable headshell for easy cartridge changes; cheap, easy-to-replace headshell wires should you break off one of the little cartridge clips; no need to remove the platter to change speeds, and adjustable anti-skate. However, I would still likely go with the LP120 that you have dismissed, simply because it plays 78's and the reviews I've seen on it have all been fairly positive. None of these would replace my Rega for sound quality, but the AT has a lot of fun features that would make a good complement to what I already have.

Since you mostly play 45’s, a changer would make more sense.
The vintage Duals are excellent and are gentle on records.
If you’re not handy - a restored unit is worth the extra $.
My 50’s / 60’s /70’s 45’s sound fabulous on all of my Dual units.

This is just my opinion--so take it for what it's worth (nothing--it and a couple bucks will get you a cup of coffee). Unless I were shopping in the $1K and up range, I wouldn't even consider a "new" table. I don't know what your "vintage" tables were, and how or why they failed, but I'd rather rehab (if necessary) a vintage table than waste a few hundred bucks on a new "entry-level" table. "New" entry-level tables are geared for the "vinyl resurgence", rather than a vintage table that was spec'd and designed for when vinyl was the primary "source" in terms of music media. And anything new depreciates the minute you walk out the door, so your $300-400 investment is now $100 (on a good day).

Good luck on your search!

This is just my opinion--so take it for what it's worth (nothing--it and a couple bucks will get you a cup of coffee). Unless I were shopping in the $1K and up range, I wouldn't even consider a "new" table. I don't know what your "vintage" tables were, and how or why they failed, but I'd rather rehab (if necessary) a vintage table than waste a few hundred bucks on a new "entry-level" table. "New" entry-level tables are geared for the "vinyl resurgence", rather than a vintage table that was spec'd and designed for when vinyl was the primary "source" in terms of music media. And anything new depreciates the minute you walk out the door, so your $300-400 investment is now $100 (on a good day).

Good luck on your search!
when i was consdidering dipping my toes in vinyl, these are exactly what i was told as well. pretty much every single thing that is said above is incorrect. a modest 3rd rate Chinese manufacturing center can and does manufacture parts inclusing tone arm to exactijng standards way better than 60s and 70s. technology ADVANCEMENT HAS made sure that every single resistor and cap work above and beyond the best that was possible back then. also your 250 dollar fluance will sell for 200 bucks any second that you want. it is very popular. also warranty.

i bought two vintage tables and both are noisy and i have to go deal with crap ebay sellers instead of dealing with quick and respectful warranty like a normal human being should. I have 450 dollars and a lot of time into the pioneer 707 and i cant find anyone to buy it for $250.

Thanks for your insight. Im thinking of just getting the plus. But is the wood finish something i should spend extra cash on. Or should i stick with the paint job.
Acually my wife asked if I could get it with the wood base. The MDF base may be denser?

The MDF plinth is cheaper and may be heavier and "deader" acoustically. However, the genuine wood base is beautiful and adds something special to the machine IMO. I have the walnut plinth with acrylic platter and have been very happy with it. I'll be very surprised if I don't have this turntable 15 years from now.

Acually my wife asked if I could get it with the wood base. The MDF base may be denser?

Back
Top Bottom