Weird-looking big flat panel speakers? (Magnepan MMG)

I have a set of "gunned" MMGs that are now over ten years old , they show no sign of delamination ( the back side with the mylar and voice coils is exposed). I think the hardwood frames and the upgraded crossovers help overcome a lot of what some complain about with regular maggies. My set is on the short wall of an L shaped basement room, 13' x 22' with another 16' x 20' off to one side (the L). They are about four feet from the reflecting wall and about that far from either side, with the tweeters inside. I do use a sealed sub for the bottom octave (crossed at 50 hz) and there is a sweet spot, but it's not as narrow as my old SMGa's. I will admit they are not ideal for rock & roll, but they shine with piano, acoustic instruments, and female vocals. I have heard ehoove's modded MG III's a few times- if I had more room I would go that way.

I've looked at several sets of vintage maggies, and every set has had the wires drooping at the top. You might or might not hear it in a quick test, ... but once set up and you try to run them loud you'll hear it. They've been out of production for 30years, and are known for the wired coming loose, just giving the OP a warning to check them well to see if they're one of the 1% (or less) original 30+ year old Magnepans that have not started to come apart.

The subject speakers are MMGs. They may not be 30 years old. Magnapan still makes the same speakers, although a few years ago they started calling them MMGi. OP's speakers could be 10 to 20 years old and in fine shape. My 16 year old MMGs are in fine shape, with no coil delamination.

I have a set of "gunned" MMGs that are now over ten years old , they show no sign of delamination ( the back side with the mylar and voice coils is exposed). I think the hardwood frames and the upgraded crossovers help overcome a lot of what some complain about with regular maggies. My set is on the short wall of an L shaped basement room, 13' x 22' with another 16' x 20' off to one side (the L). They are about four feet from the reflecting wall and about that far from either side, with the tweeters inside. I do use a sealed sub for the bottom octave (crossed at 50 hz) and there is a sweet spot, but it's not as narrow as my old SMGa's. I will admit they are not ideal for rock & roll, but they shine with piano, acoustic instruments, and female vocals. I have heard ehoove's modded MG III's a few times- if I had more room I would go that way.
I beg to differ shoehorning them to specific genres of music. Yes, they sound phenomenal with the types of music mentioned, No, they are not dance club speakers, but they can rock out very well. I was just listening to some live Depeche Mode, and they sound spectacular! I run a small sub with them. The realism, and dimension of the live recording is astonishing.

I have to agree, my two pair are 20 and 30 years old respectively, and the 30 year old pair (2.5R) got new ribbons last year, the 20 year old pair (1.6QR) I've never had to go into, no delam issues.

The only speaker that can compare imo, are vintage infinity emit/emim driver speakers. or, possibly electrostats. Once you hear the speed and accuracy of maggies, (not flashy, but more 'correct' then anything else afaih) you'll never be able to go back to box speakers. maggies don't 'slam' but they sure do reproduce everything better then anything else I've heard. The bass is magical, you'll 'hear' the body resonance of the bass, if it has a body, and the same for piano.

I'd love to hear the new 30. although they're out of my price range, probably forever.

I'd say to the op, for a fin, go for it! you just might be converted for life.

I beg to differ shoehorning them to specific genres of music. Yes, they sound phenomenal with the types of music mentioned, No, they are not dance club speakers, but they can rock out very well. I was just listening to some live Depeche Mode, and they sound spectacular! I run a small sub with them. The realism, and dimension of the live recording is astonishing.

I have to agree, my two pair are 20 and 30 years old respectively, and the 30 year old pair (2.5R) got new ribbons last year, the 20 year old pair (1.6QR) I've never had to go into, no delam issues.

The only speaker that can compare imo, are vintage infinity emit/emim driver speakers. or, possibly electrostats. Once you hear the speed and accuracy of maggies, (not flashy, but more 'correct' then anything else afaih) you'll never be able to go back to box speakers. maggies don't 'slam' but they sure do reproduce everything better then anything else I've heard. The bass is magical, you'll 'hear' the body resonance of the bass, if it has a body, and the same for piano.

I'd love to hear the new 30. although they're out of my price range, probably forever.

I'd say to the op, for a fin, go for it! you just might be converted for life.

This.

If you're a headbanger who's half deaf already, they might not be ideal for headbanging music.

They rock just fine. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Nice shelving/rack, @epifanatic :)

Last edited:
To amend my earlier post- I listen to lots of rock and enjoy it. The MMG's don't "slam" with bass or kick drums, but they keep me happy. I don't plan on replacing them.

The newer "quasi ribbon" Maggies will probably not suffer wire lifting as they don't use conventional wire. OTOH if the foil used in the "quasi ribbons" ever peels or delaminates it may not be as easy a repair as the older models.

Older models have the diaphragm behind the panel with the magnets. Newer models have the diaphragm in the front.

I have *mg1* and still think they are great. I did rebuild the tweeter wires, new socks, updated crossover, stiffer frame, ...

I even had the pres of Magnepan over for dinner and he didn't seem to mind them (probably being nice).

I've been a maggie fanboy for many years. However, if the OP doesn't even know about them, they might not fully appreciate the potential.

I bought mine for $10 used, bad tweeter wires, ... in a MGII box.

I wasn't in a hurry and it took 5 years to get the stuff for the rebuild and a weekend to install the new wires and upgrade everything. I found a re-build post I found over on the MUG asylum and did it. Removing the staples from the socks was the hardest part. The assembly team at the factory have power staplers and know how to use them.

I had 2.7QR's for 3-4 months. They did not stay long...not because of the sound...the wife would not tolerate their size in "her" living room! LOL.

They were good. Overall I think I liked my Quads better, but I was running a lot better gear with the Quads too.

And I've never heard Maggies with a true ribbon, would love to some day.

Reading this thread is making me nostalgic for my old 2.7qr's.

I enjoyed them immensely, at the time my living room was 20'x20' and with an added sub were truly something special hear.

I've owned a lot of different speakers over the years, very few of which I would ever own again, Magnepans are one of the few exceptions.

Reading this thread is making me nostalgic for my old 2.7qr's.
Let me help with that. The Magnepan sound is one of three speakers, maybe 4 now that has made a permanent impression as to high quality sound. I bought a pair back when selling them and although those moved on, I knew I would have them again. The IIIa set I have isn't going anywhere...well until the price of the 20.7i drops enough to make a quick even swap.

Thanks, Scott. Looks a little different from the last time you were over.

Why is it that your Maggies seem to have a sheen? Is it just the lighting or is it non-standard material?

Also, have you ever considered aftermarket stands (Mye or Sound Anchors)?

Finally......What is that cool thing on the bottom shelf!!!

Why is it that your Maggies seem to have a sheen? Is it just the lighting or is it non-standard material?

Also, have you ever considered aftermarket stands (Mye or Sound Anchors)?

Finally......What is that cool thing on the bottom shelf!!!

No sheen, probably just the lighting. One of these days I plan on doing some upgrades......one of these days.
The thing on the bottom shelf is a Crosley D-25 alarm clock radio that belonged to my dad.

No sheen, probably just the lighting. One of these days I plan on doing some upgrades......one of these days.
The thing on the bottom shelf is a Crosley D-25 alarm clock radio that belonged to my dad.

Original poster here... Very strange but I bought that exact Crosley "dashboard" radio about a year ago and got it going with new caps, some cleaning, etc. Amusingly it has a plug on the side for you to plug a (toaster, something else) into and when the alarm goes off power is sent to the plug, turning on your coffee brewer or whatever.

Anyway, yeah. I was slowly increasing my nest egg in my typical way (a bit taken off the top at the drugstore, grocery, gas station, etc.) and nearing $80 when those fateful words were heard: "Hey hon, you got any money in your wallet?" She was taking the 2 kids to a local fair... I stammered, "Uh I think so..." And her delight in finding and taking $80 was remarkable. It was for the kids... I let it go. You win some, you win some.

I finally made it back to the nasty place after a lot of real life interposition and yeah, they were gone. Probably for the best. It wasn't meant to be. I did a quick search on Ebay and you can get a pair if you are lucky for $150-250 so I can always play around with them in the future if I feel the need. All I really have is this incredibly lame photo I took to remember the model number when I didn't know what they were:

IMG_3391[1].jpg

Thus ends the tale of my not-bought Magnepan MMGs.

Back
Top Bottom