Ear 834p questions

Good evening all,

I just rec'd a slightly used Ear 834p off of Audiogon and have a couple of questions. It didn't come with a manual so I was curious if there was a place online that might have a 'downloadable' version. I did a google search and looked at the vinyl engine website. I'm not a member there though so I used their basic search and couldn't find one. Any clues?

I have another question regarding the unit itself. This is my first tube component and I noticed (at least I think) the sound improving as the unit warmed up. My question is how long should I let the unit warm up before I start my listening session? I just started leaving my other equipment on all the time but don't feel like that is a good idea with the 834p. Just a hunch.

I'm getting back into vinyl and I never paid much attention to all this stuff when I was younger. Appreciate the help folks.

Thanks!

Ray

I would look at and contact the manufacturer relative to the manual, Ray . Relative to warmup, the 834P should be on song within 30 minutes to an hour and may continue to improve for a while after.

That's a great piece of gear. I've used it many times. I usually play one record both sides before sitting down for serious listening. Enjoy it!

Contact EAR for the manual - I'd be surprised if they don't just email you a PDF of it.

As for tube warm-up; I warm my gear for about 30 minutes before sitting down to listen. After that, it will continue to improve slightly for about another 30 minutes or so, but in my experience it's not dramatic.

Great phono stage, by the way!

The 834P is designed to be left on all the time, according to the manufacturer. That said, I don't do that. I wouldn't worry too much about warming it up--just turn it on when you get home, and by the time you sit down to listen, it'll be warm. I would definitely not leave my power amplifier on all the time, however--especially if you have tubes.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll email them directly and get a manual.

I just got the thing so I don't have a solid feel for its performance just yet. I put two albums on and didn't notice any real improvements over my Clearaudio Nano. To be honest though, I really like the music on those albums but not the mastering. I guess I was seeing if it colored the sound on less than great recordings. I don't think it does.

I then put an album that I recently picked up that I knew had a pretty great analog sound. Other than hearing many pops (I haven't cleaned it with the rcm yet), it sounded great to my ears. I plan on doing more listening tonight and just playing the albums with good sound. I started getting the impression that the 834p paints a little broader picture than my other stages. A little bit more in the highs and lows come through with the music. To me it also seems to play at a higher volume than I would have expected. I think I also notice a little better soundstage. I also plan on taking off the top and seeing what tubes are in the thing. I had to jump on the price without asking too many questions up front and rely on the guy's positive feedback.

Oh btw vinylreview, I love your vinyl reviews!

Congrats on your new phonostage. I really enjoy mine. I've found that the unit performs best with a 12ax7 in the position closest to the front of the unit and a 5751 in each of the other two slots. I found that using all 12ax7s resulted in too much gain and decreased dynamics. Of course, ymmv depending the rest of your setup. And thanks for the kind words, Gravy.

I took the lid off and noticed there are 3 Sovtek 12AX7LP tubes. I assume these were probably the original tubes in the unit. Lets say down the road I do the same tubes as you with the 12AX7LP type in the front and the 5751 in the back, which brand would you recommend? I've found that many people enjoy the mods they have had done, but I'm not really up for dropping a whole bunch of money for something I might not even be able to notice. This is such a nice unit to begin with! I plan on doing a lot of research on line so I can understand how tubes work etc. Thanks

Ray

E.A.R. 834P Questions

Hi Ray,

The 834P comes from the factory with JJ ecc83 or 12ax7 tubes. They are individually triode-matched in the UK before they go into a given unit. Most people like the JJ tubes but some use whatever flavor suits them best. I have generally used the stock tubes in the 834P, but I am currently using RCA NOS tubes in both the line stage and phono stage of the 864 preamp I have here.

Be careful with the 5751 tubes. They were designed to be, and are now widely claimed to be low noise. They have slightly different gain characteristics than the ecc83 or 12ax7 tube and will respond by creating more noise in some phono preamps. They generally seem to do better in line stages. I would suspect that you may have the best results with ecc83 or 12ax7 tubes, regardless of the brand, than you would with, say, 12ax7WA, 12ax7A, or other variants that have different gain and voltage characteristics.

I don't believe that the manual for the 834P is available in electronic form. The manual is a single cardstock sheet of A9 size that is printed on both sides. There isn't a lot of information on it, but if you would like I could make a photocopy of the one that I have here and mail it to you. You can contact me privately (info@audiointelligent.com) with your mailing address if you would like me to do this. I'm happy to help.

Dealer disclaimer.

Jim Pendleton
Osage Audio Products, LLC

Thanks for the offer!

though it's been almost 8 years since this thread was active, i'm wondering if @osageaudio would be willing to make a pdf of the "single cardstock sheet of A9 size that is printed on both sides" and send it electronically? it would be greatly appreciated and i'd be willing to make it generally available. i'm about to receive a (new to me) 834P and would love to read the info on that card. much obliged if possible!

though it's been almost 8 years since this thread was active, i'm wondering if @osageaudio would be willing to make a pdf of the "single cardstock sheet of A9 size that is printed on both sides" and send it electronically? it would be greatly appreciated and i'd be willing to make it generally available. i'm about to receive a (new to me) 834P and would love to read the info on that card. much obliged if possible!

I think that you'll love your new 834P. I've had mine for several years. Bought it from Galen Carol in San Antonio, TX

Here's the address as it appears on the owners pamphlet:

EAR/Yoshino Ltd.
Colmworth Business Park
St. Neots, Cambs,
PE19 8YT, U.K.

Perhaps they'll mail you a copy of their very simple owners pamphlet.

I think that you'll love your new 834P. I've had mine for several years. Bought it from Galen Carol in San Antonio, TX

Here's the address as it appears on the owners pamphlet:

EAR/Yoshino Ltd.
Colmworth Business Park
St. Neots, Cambs,
PE19 8YT, U.K.

Perhaps they'll mail you a copy of their very simple owners pamphlet.

thank you! i'll update the thread with my find!

i have one but it wont let me put a pdf on here so here is a jpg PM me and i can email you a pdf if you like

EAR 834P (800x562).jpg EAR 834P front (800x560).jpg

Back
Top Bottom