I decided to buy the Fender Deluxe 5e3 signature Edge model

@ooba tooba

Or have I misinterpreted your meaning and it is a schematic for an original Model 5E3 that you need? Or both? As mentioned above (^^^^^) I have a copy (in the Pittman book, 1986) of the 5C3 schematic (pg 191). In the same book (page 192) there is a pic of an original schematic of the Model 5E3. I'll snap a photo of that today. Again, these image files from my phone are too large to slide into an AK post as attachment, thus you'll need to ping me via "Conversations" to provide me w/an email address to which I can send you either or both schematics: Model 5C3 and Model 5E3. Both schematics are copies of original schematics that Aspen removed from original 50's Deluxe amps in order to photograph for includion in the appendices of his The Tube Amp Book (Pittman, 1986).
Thank you so much Mystic, but I have found this informative site https://robrobinette.com/Fender_Deluxe_Models.htm
since my last visit here. If you scroll down there is the “Edge 5e3 schematic. I’m still a little confused if I can use an ay, ax, or a 5751 tube in it without damaging either the tube, or amp. I confess my ignorance on bias resistors, plate voltages etc. in the review of this model amp, it stated that it is suggested by Fender to use 2 12aux7 in the preamp stages, but the amp sounds more original if you put the y tube in it. More clean headroom, and less compression. I know a 5751 would be a halfway point between clean/more (earlier) tube breakup, but would I need an adjustable bias resistor? Am I being overly cautious?

Thank you so much Mystic, but I have found this informative site https://robrobinette.com/Fender_Deluxe_Models.htm
since my last visit here. If you scroll down there is the “Edge 5e3 schematic. I’m still a little confused if I can use an ay, ax, or a 5751 tube in it without damaging either the tube, or amp. I confess my ignorance on bias resistors, plate voltages etc. in the review of this model amp, it stated that it is suggested by Fender to use 2 12aux7 in the preamp stages, but the amp sounds more original if you put the y tube in it. More clean headroom, and less compression. I know a 5751 would be a halfway point between clean/more (earlier) tube breakup, but would I need an adjustable bias resistor? Am I being overly cautious?

Pinging @Celt - Dan knows these Fender Tweeds as well as anyone, let's get him in here to have a look @ yer question.

14D87D70-BC61-453D-8E84-BBFF93AB52DA.jpeg 489F2042-0600-42F5-AFD0-2100DE9E7BA0.png 55E617A2-162D-4187-AFF2-DA007BE7914A.jpeg From my link above
I will snap a pic of my amps tube chart around 5 pm. There doesn’t seem to be one online that I see

0AF0C89F-3E74-4097-A890-AAA09F5B7779.jpeg Tube chart in my amp.
When I got the amp it had a microphonic 5751 in the first stage. The guy I got the tubes from has built a 5e3 and told me about the bias resistor, and how putting in a tube besides what the chart called for might harm a y7, or a 5751. Just wondered with all of the info I provided if I would be able to safely switch between the x7, a y7, and even a 5751 in the first preamp stage. Thanks again all:cool:
* apparently the guy from U2 wanted to have tube breakup fairly early, and uses his Vox amps for clean stuff, hence the x7 in stage 1 instead of the typical y7. I would be ok with that I guess, but am more concerned about how the reviewer stated the amp sounded compressed and it really opened up with him putting in the y7, lost the compression and sounded like the original Deluxe in a side by side. I suppose I could just try it, but was hoping for an educated opinion first before I potentially damage something. Apologies for the long posts/over explaining

Last edited:
5751's are a direct drop in for the 12AX7. They have about 30% less gain which gives you more headroom. Mind you, when the tweed amps were first developed and manufactured...Fender often used 12AY7's...which had similar characteristics of the 5751. Proceed...and go in peace...

5751's are a direct drop in for the 12AX7. They have about 30% less gain which gives you more headroom. Mind you, when the tweed amps were first developed and manufactured...Fender often used 12AY7's...which had similar characteristics of the 5751. Proceed...and go in peace...
Got me to laugh out loud at the dinner table :p thanks a bunch!

Also....I would try a balanced 12AT7 in the driver/phase splitter spot. I think you'll be pleased. Using X7's in both spots almost always yields a compressed, distorted sound. So, unless you are Spaghetti Van Halen….try making the change! 5751 (1st spot) 12AT7 (2nd spot).

Also....I would try a balanced 12AT7 in the driver/phase splitter spot. I think you'll be pleased. Using X7's in both spots almost always yields a compressed, distorted sound. So, unless you are Spaghetti Van Halen….try making the change! 5751 (1st spot) 12AT7 (2nd spot).
Aaaaaand ordered! Thanks again sir. Amp is sounding great with my Tele, and even my $69 Harmony Strat

Back
Top Bottom