Selector switch questoin

vintage 5.0

vintage 5.0
Subscriber
I am wanting to possibly get a speaker selector switch to use for two sets of speakers. I want to sometimes run them together and sometimes not. I am curious do they degrade the sound. Is there a good one that does not do that. I only need it for two sets so a A B setup.

I am wanting to possibly get a speaker selector switch to use for two sets of speakers. I want to sometimes run them together and sometimes not. I am curious do they degrade the sound. Is there a good one that does not do that. I only need it for two sets so a A B setup.

I don't care what anyone says, including pieces into an electronic chain affects sound (some for the better, most for the worst). I had a nice TEAC EQ for years (used it for the analyzer display), took it out when my shelving situation changed and wow it opened up.

Hajidub, you're talking about active vs passive electronics. A good quality passive switch would be unlikely to affect the sound.

vintage 5.0, is your amp capable of driving both pairs of speakers in parallel at once (if it's an Aragon, then it is)? If so, I'd get a good quality switch without a resistor network, which would be least likely to degrade the sound. Look for one that doesn't have impedance matching, a protection circuit or a volume control. I didn't find one in a brief search, but I'm sure one can be found somewhere.

swechsler yes both speakers are 8 oh so in parallel that is 4 ohm I think. So are you saying a passive type design would work.

i''ve been using the Adcom GFS-6 for years. it has great twist locks in the rear and can accept larger gauge wires than lets say a Niles. Also the Niles had flimsy spring tabs. Both had a speaker protection switch and at least one set had to be push in to work but I did once and only once have all 6 working sets going for a short time (my wall of sound) w/ no problems. I've said this to both guys here and over on the Polk site who are absolute purist and say adding anything downstream adds noise to a system. I invited anyone w/ measuring devices to prove it to me. I've said I have the cleanest GFA-555 /GFS--6 combo out there. Adcom also makes a 4 selector model if 6 is to much for you. I think I go the thing for $25 on the Bay.

swechsler yes both speakers are 8 oh so in parallel that is 4 ohm I think. So are you saying a passive type design would work.
All speaker switches are passive (passive=nonpowered), what you want to find is one the best, minimal number of components.

left fielder I have seen those and was wondering how they work. Might be the best solution for the cost involved.

I found a OEM System 4SPKR switch. I like it and it sounds really good. It is made well and I do not hear much difference if any. It has two large rectangle boxes inside that are on the board. They are almost like made out of concrets real heavy not sure what they are for.

Back
Top Bottom