What is it with ADS speakers that some folks are so high on?

I’ve got 810’s that I bought new in 1981. It’s the walnut cabs with the metal grilles, it’s the soft dome mids and tweets that sound so sweet. You can listen for hours and and not wish you were somewhere else. I can remember the day i walked in to Modern Music in Memphis and heard these speakers. Unlike anything I’d ever heard before!

You can listen for hours and and not wish you were somewhere else.

Not picking on GPH here but anytime I have needed to move out of a room with speakers playing, I came to the conclusion that I don't much care for those speakers with those electronics. If I can't listen all day, something I did when working at Hi-Fi House, then I don't want those speakers around. I don't have any speakers I can not use all day long and still enjoy their sound. Folks that have speakers that cause that kinda of flight reaction but they love em. I'd sure like to know why? Maybe it is peer pressure, reading that some folks love em so they feel obligated to love em too, 30 minutes at a time. Could be the desire for a different sound like live rock concert at an arena. Great for a concert but I wouldn't want to have that sound for everything I play on the rig.

I'm listening to a pair of L1290 right now, as others have said a big thing going for them is that they really don't do anything wrong. They are easy to listen too, relatively easy to drive, full-range (at least the larger models), fairly placement insensitive, have quality cabinetry, are fairly common, etc. Another big plus is that parts are still readily available, if you blow a tweeter you don't have to scour eBay and hope for the best, you mail it to Richard So and it comes back good as new. There are better speakers out there but in my opinion ADS are just generally good speakers.

Stumbled on this thread as a set of l1090/2 have fallen in my lap. I consider my infinity rs3b's a great "old" speaker, that being said, thease l1092's could give them a run for their money. Only time will tell on that

Stumbled on this thread as a set of l1090/2 have fallen in my lap. I consider my infinity rs3b's a great "old" speaker, that being said, thease l1092's could give them a run for their money. Only time will tell on that

Let us know what you think Nicka200.

Well after a few hours last night and a few this morning, I can say that the ads l1090 wont replace the rs3b's. What I can say as that they are both very rich, mellow, lightly colored sounding speakers, but the rs3 emit tweeter is what I prefer. Mids sound very similar, and the bass on both units is very tight and responsive. However, the rs3 bass seems more accurate, where i belive the ads possesses most of its coloring of music in this area. Put it this way, neither of thease speakers are going anywhere. P.s. listening done with pioneer m900 200wpc amp ( my only power amp with a/B speaker options)

Attachments

• 15364404882021361310397.jpg
    15364404882021361310397.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 86
Thanks for the follow up Nicka200. No, those RS3B's are in a class by themselves with those emit's. I tell ya what though, if you have an interest in maybe shooting a vid of both the Infinitys and the ADS in action many of us would sure like to hear it. Your phone is fine for the recording. We understand it's not going to sound like it does in your living room, but we really enjoy the posts
. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-of-your-systems-lets-see-and-hear-it.782592/

Im drinking the ADS kool-aid now too. After finding a pair of L570's at GW for $12 it opened my eyes. Powered by my Fisher 500b they sound great. So great, I just grabbed a pair of 880/2's off CL. I'll try them out tonight. They are near mint. Hoping the 500b can push enough juice to them.

The shop I worked for in the 70s sold lots of 710s and 810s coupled with Harman Kardon receivers, Philips turntables and Sonus cartridges. They had a touch of boxiness not shared by the Dahlquist, Magnepan and Acoustats we also sold, but were quite good sounding against their competitors in the day. They were more open than comparable ARs and didn't suffer the directivity issues and overt *technicolor* coloration of JBLs like the Century.

I ran tri-amped Braun LV-1020s from 1974-1976.

That's one thing I noticed about my ADS's they were far more open than most acoustic suspended speakers Ive heard...Maggie's, Dahlquist not withstanding.

That's one thing I noticed about my ADS's they were far more open than most acoustic suspended speakers Ive heard...Maggie's, Dahlquist not withstanding.

Oh yeah, different beast's to be sure. I don't see any reason that Fisher 500b won't push those ADS in all the right directions. I read nothing but good about the L570's and expect we'll hear the same from you too. Same same with the 880's. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Short listening session tonight. Played some source material that I know and trust.

Played in my 10' x 12' man cave. Marantz 6000 ose cd player / Denon DP1500 tt with Denon DL 103 cart and using a Beyer Dynamics SUT between the tt and phono stage of a Fisher 500b receiver. Phono tubes are vintage Telefunkin.

On cd...Greatest Hits Elton John on DCC gold mastered by Steve Hoffman.

On vinyl...Tom Petty Greatest Hits on Geffen mastered by Chris Bellman.

Both sounded fantastic through the 880/2. Very similar sound to my L570's. They seem to do everything the 570's do but with a larger sound stage, a little better midrange and more bass grunt. Surprisingly open for an acoustic suspended speaker. Certainly more open than some AR's and KLH's I own.

The 500b didn't seem to have any issues driving the speakers. Got quite loud at 11 to 12 o'clock on the volume control in the small room. So far, so good and I'm a happy camper.

I have had a few pairs of 810s and liked them a lot. They are so musical. I had a pair of 910s I thought that I would never sell. Well that all changed when I found Sonus Faber. They are my favorite speaker now. The ADS does everything right and nothing wrong and the build quality is great.

I have had a few pairs of 810s and liked them a lot. They are so musical. I had a pair of 910s I thought that I would never sell. Well that all changed when I found Sonus Faber. They are my favorite speaker now. The ADS does everything right and nothing wrong and the build quality is great.
You'll like this video then and which model did you get please elaborate a little more in depth

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/sonus-faber-amati-futura

Your opinion and experience is valued since you had ADS

Mine are not quite in that league. Those are some impressive speakers. I can only imagine what they must sound like. I got some Concerto Grand piano speakers. I then got another pair of the Grand Piano home. They are a little larger. I also got a pair of Concertino speakers that are book shelf models. I like them all they are very musical and have great mids and highs. They are not bass heavy but have just enough for the type of music I listen to. With that said the M@K S-1Bs I have are fairly close to the Concertino speakers. I have run them close and have heard the differences. M@K I think made some great speakers and hard to beat in the price range.

I'm biased, I absolutely love ADS for home audio.....why......One, they sound natural, open and very clear..........and two, I used to work there as an Electronic / Mechanical engineer.

For mobile audio, early 2000's Diamond Audio (not the Chinese stuff being made today)....same reason.

But hey I'm biased......

They do seem to be made of quality components and I agree...they do sound natural, open and very clear.

Even though I'm very late to the dance...at least I finally got there...lol.

Back
Top Bottom