New Collector and User

Bodhieke

Hey all

I am new to collecting and using vintage audio gear. I have been doing some research and started my collection last year. This is what I ended up with and cost:

Kenwood KR- 7050 Receiver = $10
Kenwood KD- 2055 Turntable= $180
Kenwood KX- 1030 3 Head Cassette Deck= $40
Pioneer Centrex TH-30 8-Track= $30
Akai M-8 Reel-to-Reel = $25
Marantz SD-432 Dual Cassette Deck= $20
Marantz AT-4 Audio Timer= Free
Sony CDP-C705 5-Disc CD Changer= $10
Phillips DCC 900 Cassette Deck= $200
Logitech Bluetooth Receiver = $20
2 Four Channel Switch Boxes = $18
Sony MDS JE330 Minidisc =$36
ESM1 Speakers (some canadian company)= $25

Not Too Bad. I would like to find and Elcaset at a reasonable price. Just curious as to peoples opinion and any advice you may have. Everything started when i found my receiver in a thrift store for 10 beans! thanks!

I picked up a CDP-C705 and it was a decent unit. Then I changed the LPF chip from probably a 5532 or some other common one to an OPA2134 or some nicer sounding more modern chip and that machine sounds great now. Used to use it only when I wanted to play more than one CD. Now with the remote it is my go to unit in the main rig...volume control and all the other nice remote features.

It has the same service manual as the C75ES and C85ES models, part of the ES line so some of the parts inside are good. If the unit is playing and then just stops and resets, it is from a weak power switch. Bad contacts in the switch, easy to pull, open, clean and replace. I replaced mine and found out how easy a cleaning would be when I swapped it. So I guess I have a spare.

Last edited:
Nice to see the prices paid in a forum other than buck and change since you aren't asking about value we can see those numbers here.

So far I like the Kenwood gear, the Sony CDP, obviously and the Energy ESM speakers should be decent, too.
A great start, thanks to that deal on the KR-7050..

Last edited:
Thank you for the input all. I may not have been clear about my question. For the most part, I feel good about what I have paid for things. I don’t think I go hosed on anything.

I was really asking about the quality of the gear. That said, I learned that if I do have a question about value, I know where to go. I did my research and there are some things I bought for cost value over quality. I really enjoy the silver face components, so if anyone has any suggestions of silver face CD players, I would love to upgrade there. I did find a Teac Minidisc/cd combo that was silver, but out of my price range... (MD-70 CD S).

Thank you for the input all. I may not have been clear about my question. For the most part, I feel good about what I have paid for things. I don’t think I go hosed on anything.

I was really asking about the quality of the gear. That said, I learned that if I do have a question about value, I know where to go. I did my research and there are some things I bought for cost value over quality. I really enjoy the silver face components, so if anyone has any suggestions of silver face CD players, I would love to upgrade there. I did find a Teac Minidisc/cd combo that was silver, but out of my price range... (MD-70 CD S).
I would do my homework and focus exclusively on high end vintage considered sota in the past. That's where the value is. That gear is what it is, still competitive with anything on the planet sq wise. You'll have to spend more but value is increased exponentially. Your list doesn't cut it.

I would do my homework and focus exclusively on high end vintage considered sota in the past. That's where the value is. That gear is what it is, still competitive with anything on the planet sq wise. You'll have to spend more but value is increased exponentially. Your list doesn't cut it.
As an investment or source of ultimate vintage sound quality, definitely. But not every audio gear collection need be about that. It could be about visual aesthetics, interesting electronics, or just equipment you like for reasons purely -- and perhaps even inexplicably -- your own.

For example, when I lived in Canada, I owned a 1950's Blaupunkt console mono radio/phonograph. It wasn't top of the line, it sounded good but not great, and whilst in excellent shape it wasn't perfect.

I loved that thing. Why?

I don't know. I just did.

A great collection can be full of stuff like that.

As an investment or source of ultimate vintage sound quality, definitely. But not every audio gear collection need be about that. It could be about visual aesthetics, interesting electronics, or just equipment you like for reasons purely -- and perhaps even inexplicably -- your own.

For example, when I lived in Canada, I owned a 1950's Blaupunkt console mono radio/phonograph. It wasn't top of the line, it sounded good but not great, and whilst in excellent shape it wasn't perfect.

I loved that thing. Why?

I don't know. I just did.

A great collection can be full of stuff like that.
I hear you as I see regular examples of that perspective and it puzzles me. There's no shortage of great looking sota of the past.

Hey, this stuff is OLD! Why bother with the junk?

I hear you as I see regular examples of that perspective and it puzzles me. There's no shortage of great looking sota of the past.

Hey, this stuff is OLD! Why bother with the junk?
Personal taste is variable and sometimes inexplicable, and unless all the qualities of top-of-the-line gear are of interest to you, you might find aspects of middle-of-the-line or even bottom-of-the-line to be more appealing.

If everyone collected SOTA vintage gear, there wouldn't be enough to go around.

Personal taste is variable and sometimes inexplicable, and unless all the qualities of top-of-the-line gear are of interest to you, you might find aspects of middle-of-the-line or even bottom-of-the-line to be more appealing.

If everyone collected SOTA vintage gear, there wouldn't be enough to go around.
I'm very thankful:)

So what are your plans for this stuff? Making it work and/or using it or just looking at?

I'd damp down the acquisition bender and deal with what you got instead of loading up your plate to overwhelmed status,

It piles up fast and if you are one of the true obcessed, the need to keep looking does not go away. Might even get worse.

Finding an Elcaset that works or has the potential to work is not easy or cheap. They were only around a couple of years. Then what about the tapes? Used ones seem easiest to come by but good chance they will need maintenance. New tapes, not as likely but much more expensive. These days, it would be $50 for a new blank which would be a 60 min normal. A new 90 min FeCr - more than that.

Neat to have one in working condition though. I have lnowledge of only one other local to me.who has one.

So what are your plans for this stuff? Making it work and/or using it or just looking at?

I'd damp down the acquisition bender and deal with what you got instead of loading up your plate to overwhelmed status,

It piles up fast and if you are one of the true obcessed, the need to keep looking does not go away. Might even get worse.

Finding an Elcaset that works or has the potential to work is not easy or cheap. They were only around a couple of years. Then what about the tapes? Used ones seem easiest to come by but good chance they will need maintenance. New tapes, not as likely but much more expensive. These days, it would be $50 for a new blank which would be a 60 min normal. A new 90 min FeCr - more than that.

Neat to have one in working condition though. I have lnowledge of only one other local to me.who has one.
I'm doing a job for a client right now in a small town here with a car lot that has a 1960 Vauxhall with about 10,000 orig. mi. on it. Like brand new everywhere. Beautiful relic. I love it. He frowned when I told the proprieter it would make a great race car.:)

78F7C647-421D-4F39-AAAB-E9E638DD8377.jpeg

I missed out on one on eBay because my kid needed my attention and the time expired. Everything I have is in working condition and I use it regularly. I am adding pieces because I can afford it right now, but everything is used. Those are my plans....

I'm doing a job for a client right now in a small town here with a car lot that has a 1960 Vauxhall with about 10,000 orig. mi. on it. Like brand new everywhere. Beautiful relic. I love it. He frowned when I told the proprieter it would make a great race car.:)[/QUOTE

No way....only 10K?

My first Vauxhall was a '60 Victor wagon. Bought it off the street for $150. Blew out 1st gear racing a friends '56 Buick, downshifting, going around an uphill corner. It was a three on the tree but from then on, a two on the tree. Didn't really need a first gear to keep driving it.

A great collection is one that makes you smile when you listen. Value of said collection is only for insurance and flippers.

He told me 3 on the tree was the only option, available exclusively through GM. I had no idea. I saw them regularly as a kid. Apparently, GM couldn't keep up with demand. It really is a great looker. I'm tempted, he wants 12 Gs firm.

A great collection is one that makes you smile when you listen. Value of said collection is only for insurance and flippers.
I would be willing to wager 95% of members here have not experienced sota gear from the past, never mind the present. "As long as you like it", "ignorance is bliss", "you don't know what you're missing" may all be true but just as tragic. If this is your hobby, I would endeavor to at least discover the peak of technology before you croak. Value is not in dollars and cents but in what you get for your money. There are pieces out there for high dollars just due to their rarity without intrinsic value.

Back
Top Bottom