Carver AL III Woofer Advice

Keithg

Just wanted to get a little bit of advice on my CARVER AMAZING IIIs.

So as I expected, the woofers are starting to Show their age, some rough spots in the surrounds are a clue that it is have them redone. But I figured as long as I’m Going to have them redone I might as will have the coil’s rebuilt / the whole driver overhauled on both.

So the advice I’d love to ask is should I rebuild or just buy new woofers? Are there better/newer technology drivers that could possibly be better suited for this application or should I leave Bob’s creation alone and keep it all original by rebuilding the original woofers?

I’m driving them with a TFM 45

If I was to replace them, I’ve heard Infinity Perfect 10 or Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 are good options...Any other suggestions on what to replace the original 10” 4 ohm’s with?

I’ve decided to leave the crossovers stock for now...But will probably have them rebuilt or upgrade in the future.

Thanks!

Is there any particular reason you think the woofers need anything more than a new surround? I've never heard of replacing a coil just because it's old. It's just wire, as long as it's conducting electricity, and the voice coil shape hasn't changed, it should be as good as new.

Is there any particular reason you think the woofers need anything more than a new surround? I've never heard of replacing a coil just because it's old. It's just wire, as long as it's conducting electricity, and the voice coil shape hasn't changed, it should be as good as new.

Sorry, forgot to mention that one of them needs to be rebuilt, not getting any sound from it at all and the crossover is working fine. Aside from that, I would just rather rebuild or get new ones so it’s one less thing I have to worry about in my life moving forward... since this is a 30-year-old driver, I am trying to be proactive rather than reactive!

Last edited:
Getting truly new ones is going to be difficult, I don't know all the different AL versions, but at least some of them used flat proprietary woofers that are no longer being made (especially since Carver's been out of business for years). They do come up on eBay every now and then, but there's no guarantee that the ones you buy would be any better than the ones you've already got.

I'd contact Millersound and talk to Bill Legall, he can make recommendations on what to do. No doubt he can rebuild/repair them, and his prices are reasonable.

Really a pair of speakers I shouldn't have ever sold. Especially having the power now to drive them. The AL-lll's I had I ended up replacing those original woofers with a pair of JL Audio subwoofers. Man the difference for me at least was Huge !

It really brought the music to life in those bad boys with those ribbons, It was that kinda holy chit moment !

If I remeber right the power source was an Adcom 555-ll, which was Ok but I could tell they wanted more. I'm sorry I don't remember the model number of the woofers but if you goggle the AL-lll's with woofer replacement you should find plenty on the subject on the woofer exchange. Many praised the JL swap.

Getting truly new ones is going to be difficult, I don't know all the different AL versions, but at least some of them used flat proprietary woofers that are no longer being made (especially since Carver's been out of business for years). They do come up on eBay every now and then, but there's no guarantee that the ones you buy would be any better than the ones you've already got.

I'd contact Millersound and talk to Bill Legall, he can make recommendations on what to do. No doubt he can rebuild/repair them, and his prices are reasonable.

I made a few calls and found Eminence 618–00004-01 was the OEM, and it looks like either the Infinity or Dayton’s mentioned above will be great replacements! Great info & POC for future tho... THANK YOU!

Attachments

• 394E29B3-750C-4AF8-AF3C-C4EE51D05DA4.jpeg
    394E29B3-750C-4AF8-AF3C-C4EE51D05DA4.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 56
Really a pair of speakers I shouldn't have ever sold. Especially having the power now to drive them. The AL-lll's I had I ended up replacing those original woofers with a pair of JL Audio subwoofers. Man the difference for me at least was Huge !

It really brought the music to life in those bad boys with those ribbons, It was that kinda holy chit moment !

If I remeber right the power source was an Adcom 555-ll, which was Ok but I could tell they wanted more. I'm sorry I don't remember the model number of the woofers but if you goggle the AL-lll's with woofer replacement you should find plenty on the subject on the woofer exchange. Many praised the JL swap.

Great testimony for the ALIIIs! I’d heard about the JLs, but infinity Kappa Petfect 10s get much praise too! Kappas are phased out so looks like I’m going with Dayton’s, I’ll try them and if they don’t satisfy me, I’m having the OEMs rebuilt and I will just re-install them instead of selling them. Thanks everyone for the information!

I've sat nda listened side by side to a pair loaded with the originals and then anothet pair with Infinity. Played with them that way over several days so it was not just a brief impression.

The Infinity had a slightly stronger bass down low. But we felt it was not a flat presentation and not as accurate as the original. Both me and an audio buddy at first listen thought "wow, listen to that bass!" Then after listening a bit realized the lumped up lower end and ultimately over time preferred the correct flat presentation.

I think you'll often find that exact thing to happen when you step away from the manufacturers originally correctly engineered driver selection.

As Bob himself has said, nothing wrong with changes in his products....if you like it! It just however isn't what he designed anymore.

EV3

I had forgotten about the Infinity option, whatever you decide good luck I hope you get it right for you. I was just getting into the hobby and man those ribbons I could tell I was close to something special.

I am (was) a big fan of Brian Cheney's VMPS speakers. Brian always did a great job of designing woofers that blended well with his ribbon midrange and tweeter speakers. Cheney usually used carbon fiber woofers made in the U.S. by Misco, who also manufactured Eminence drivers. But, VMPS is no more. However, former dealer Pat Malaga, bought out all of the VMPS stock, after Brian died. These spare parts included 10" carbon fiber woofers. I really have to wonder how they'd sound in the Carver AL III's? Pat sells the woofers through a San Francisco Craig's List page (none mine). It might be worth looking in to.

00i0i_1CGiztv4QOm_600x450.jpg

Just an FYI after a few years, I replaced the original CARVER/EMINANCE drivers with the Dayton’s and they sound absolutely awesome, anybody searching the Internet and wondering about the Dayton Audio’s should not hesitate…

Just an FYI after a few years, I replaced the original CARVER/EMINANCE drivers with the Dayton’s and they sound absolutely awesome, anybody searching the Internet and wondering about the Dayton Audio’s should not hesitate…

Which Dayton's? :idea:

I suggest replacing the Carver AL-3 Plus 10" subs with the (Patrs-Express) Dayton HF265 subs. They match the Eminence with impedance, efficiency and frequency response. However, since the Dayton is far superior in construction and material, the Dayton is much more cohesive with the 48" ribbons. Furthermore, the bass is tighter and more defined.

I suggest replacing the Carver AL-3 Plus 10" subs with the (Patrs-Express) Dayton HF265 subs. They match the Eminence with impedance, efficiency and frequency response. However, since the Dayton is far superior in construction and material, the Dayton is much more cohesive with the 48" ribbons. Furthermore, the bass is tighter and more defined.
I guessing the 4 ohm version?

Back
Top Bottom