Stain or not to stain?

Audi0

Somebody peeled off the original black vinyl finish. I think it's a super super super super low grade mahogany. Could be pine but I doubt it. It looks fine as it sits or I could stain it. However it's such a low grade venner with loads of imperfections it may not be worth staining. The left side is the worst see pic. Rest of it actually looks alright.

Some thought input would be nice.

20180914_194959.jpg 20180914_195004.jpg 20180914_195015.jpg

If you have an unfinished wood stereo rack, I'd leave it be.
Prime and paint black or cover with a nice veneer. There are many self adhesive products for unfinished speaker cabinets.
PartsExpress carries a few of them including wood veneer. I can see why you're thinking of staining. Could look really nice with a light one.

Maybe just smoothing it out with 440 is all it needs.

Last edited:
Don't exactly have anything to lose by staining it. If you want to keep the natural color but protect it and bring out the wood tones a bit, try some danish oil or boiled linseed oil. To get an idea what that would look like, give it a wipe with mineral spirits. The wet spot is pretty much what it will look like with an oil finish. If you hate it, give it 5 minutes and the spirits will go away. Make sure its sanded smooth first whatever you do.

If you like the wood-black combination, you can work on the wood finish.

But to me, the unit would look better with a black cabinet. I'd paint it black or use some black vinyl on it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what "super super super super low grade" means. It's not Rosewood, Tiger Wood or whatever exotic veneer you may prefer, but it looks pretty nice to me. It definitely has more character than black paint. I would finish it properly, to enhance it. My only issue would: which stain? To me, most stains look artificial. But but good finish deepens, enriches and gives texture.

Looks like plywood, and yes it's not "finished" stock as it was to be covered. The roughness of the outer ply needs more than sanding from the look, maybe some wood putty as filler first, then sand and finish to taste.

Looks like Philippine or some other species of indigenous SE Asian mahogany. As mentioned above, it was only meant to be a stable base for a finish veneer of better grade wood, or even vinyl woodgrain decal. It rarely finishes to an acceptable or even color or surface. Stain will usually make it quite blotchy and variable since the grain wanders so much (a property which makes it pretty good as a plywood veneer sheet). Seal and paint, veneer, or stick on a vinyl cover - Or leave it bare.

On a side note i've got a Nad 3080 with the same nasty cabinet and always thought a dark wood veneer would really compliment the fascia.

If you like the grain in it,,, mix up some black paint and thinner so that the grain will show thru when you apply it on the wood,,, Try it on a scrap piece or the inside of your box first to make sure its translucent enough for you... you can add more if its too light... Best of both worlds,, black and has grain!!!
Here's a git amp I made of white pine, for an example...
Good luck!

Attachments

• PA130037.JPG
    PA130037.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 26
I think if I paint it or stain it will show the imperfections like crazy. Maybe the best route is to veneer it with some semi expensive wood. Not sure what kind though.

The original was some cheap black vinyl and whats the point of redoing it in tasteless plastic.

On a side note i've got a Nad 3080 with the same nasty cabinet and always thought a dark wood veneer would really compliment the fascia.
I have a 3080 on the bench right now that needs the vinyl replaced as well. Mine is not all original (non-3080 knobs) so I'm seriously considering wood veneer as well.
First thing's first - need to chase down some distortion. I look forward to seeing what you decide to do.

Fill the imperfections, Sand the crap out of it, , then stain and finish it. If it dont turn out then you have a nice base for paint, or another covering.

Somebody peeled off the original black vinyl finish. I think it's a super super super super low grade mahogany. Could be pine but I doubt it. It looks fine as it sits or I could stain it. However it's such a low grade venner with loads of imperfections it may not be worth staining. The left side is the worst see pic. Rest of it actually looks alright.

Some thought input would be nice.

View attachment 1281836 View attachment 1281837 View attachment 1281838

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/project-pioneer-sx-750.823530/page-2

Did a vinyl to veneer recently. Turned out good.

I had a plinth for my Lab 80 made out of some Mahogany Veneer wood from an old piano. Turned out beautiful. I stripped the old (almost black) finish and did a light sanding. I had thought about putting a medium mahogany stain on before oiling. But, I decided to leave it "natural". I am glad I did because it turned out a pretty dark red. I advise using some thinner or something like turpentine to just see what the finish would look like without stain. You may be surprised how good the natural wood looks.

Now that I got another black vinyl special that has some cosmetic issues I have an excuse to order some. I like the stick on veneer look of the mk2 better. Even though it's kinda cheap. Shame I ripped some finishing parts off it to make the mk1 complete.

Going to go attempt to refinish the nad using the existing wood. If it looks like complete a$$ afterwards then yea I'm going to try and venner it.

Attachments

• 20180926_203933.jpg
    20180926_203933.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20180926_204055.jpg
    20180926_204055.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom