Unsurpassed Master Guitarist Playlist

I would expect no less from a man in Winnipeg. Lenny was special, plus he taught Randy Bachman a few licks.

Lenny played on every song my Sister did for 5 yrs.He was born in Maine.His son Chet was/is a fairly accomplished player in his own right.I played with him as my Lead for several yrs:)

Lenny played on every song my Sister did for 5 yrs.He was born in Maine.His son Chet was/is a fairly accomplished player in his own right.I played with him as my Lead for several yrs:)
Wow, that's impressive. And your mention of Maine made me think of Clarence White of Byrds fame, another great guitarist. Must be something in the water.

Just a reminder, friends. This is a playlist thread. I appreciate that people are posting their favorite guitarists, but it would be nice to post any an example. :)

-Dave

I read it as a playlist of Guitarists not a playlist of their songs.Some of these guys were not that well known to the general public and some had no real hits as such:)

Once considered the best 12 string player in the US and praised by Leo Kottke. Never received appropriate recognition for a number of reasons, the most important being he gave up playing professionally—here is what somewhat posted about what he did afterwards:

"He moved from guitar into studio engineering and electronics, at Teac he pioneered the concept of home recording first with reel to reel 4 track, then as a designer on the original cassette 4 track. He did a little mix work on Led Zeppelin IV, and Jimmy Page asked him if he was the guy who made the Elektra album."

In the early 60s the WBZ folk show from Boston on Sunday nights featured Rosmini’s instruments going into and out of breaks. YT does not really have his best work uploaded so the following are not a very good illustration of his talent unfortunately.

I read it as a playlist of Guitarists not a playlist of their songs.Some of these guys were not that well known to the general public and some had no real hits as such:)
Well, do they need to be hits or just examples of vituoso guitar work? A playlist is, by definition, a list of songs that one might play. Besides, if a talented artist is obscure, isn't it a good idea to post an example of (or reference to) his or her work in order to share the experience?

Is Bonnie on drugs? :biggrin:

Seriously though, what track of hers would you put on your playlist?

Many old blues guitar players used a Corisidan (antihistamine) bottle as a slide.

Edit: Geez, already answered this and stuck my foot in it :(...someone edit this out?

Last edited:
Well, do they need to be hits or just examples of vituoso guitar work? A playlist is, by definition, a list of songs that one might play. Besides, if a talented artist is obscure, isn't it a good idea to post an example of (or reference to) his or her work in order to share the experience?

Noogs, you've more or less nailed it.

-M

Many old blues guitar players used a Corisidan (antihistamine) bottle as a slide.

For the record(ing): coricidin

Also for the record: Many '60s Bues revivalists, e.g., Duane (as Noogs has already cited), also used the coricidin bottle for a slide. But it wasn't a great choice for everyone as it was (a) glass and (b) a pretty "snug" fit unless you "pinkied the thing. As an example, I use the (so-called) "ring finger" (left/fretting hand) for slide; I have a circa late 60s / early 70s coricidin bottle (actually swiped from my parents med cabinet @round the mid 70s, after the meds it contained had been exhausted) that (barely) fits over the top two joints of my left-side pinkie finger, which I do not like to use @ slide, again preferring to use the left-side "ring finger". Thus I "made" several bottleneck (ie, glass) slides from spent wine bottles, older Mateus-brand wine (blanc et rose) bottles serving best this purpose. I still have several of these, which I can use @ the pinky or ring finger, depending on the number and my mood.

Then there's metal, such as the type of slides Johnny Winter and (also) a lot of the first-generation Bluesmen used, rather than glass, to get a more 'gritty' (scraping, etc.) tone/texture. Brass is smooth and (almost) glassy tone might as well just stick w/ glass); copper has a rougher tone, very different than glass (and brass), thus I was obliged to "make" several copper slides. Problem w/ copper slides is that they wear out, so get a goodly length, say, a couple feet, of copper tubing so that you can make replacement slides as you wear 'em out. This isn't necessary w/ glass as it is (after diamonds) one of the hardest elements @ the planet. Re: brass slides I cannot comment as I've never used one long enough to (come even close) to wearing one out.

Edit: Geez, already answered this and stuck my foot in it :(...someone edit this out?

No need, your comment is fine as is.

Back
Top Bottom