Securing Your Home Audio Equipment

maxresdefault.jpg

Cameras, double locked doors, good neighbors that watch out for each other and a low crime neighborhood are my deterrents. Fire is actually more of a concern to me on my stupidly heavy Mac gear and large speakers as opposed to someone running off with them

That pic reminds me of a joke I once heard.
Burglar breaks in finds some items to heist and sits the first by the door. Hears a voice saying "Jesus can see you". He relaxes when he realizes it's a parrot. So he places more stuff by the door. Again he hears "Jesus can see you" and lightly chuckles. On the third trip, he hears something moving by the corner. He shines the light over and sees a pooch just like the pic with the name Jesus on the dog tag.

That pic reminds me of a joke I once heard.
Burglar breaks in finds some items to heist and sits the first by the door. Hears a voice saying "Jesus can see you". He relaxes when he realizes it's a parrot. So he places more stuff by the door. Again he hears "Jesus can see you" and lightly chuckles. On the third trip, he hears something moving by the corner. He shines the light over and sees a pooch just like the pic with the name Jesus on the dog tag.
Good one lol . Although not named Jesus , Koa is my service dog and would protect my family if the situation presented itself , but in normal life your more likely to get licked to death because she’s a gentle giant at heart .

Audiofreak71

Moved out of Miami. End of car theft's/breakins.

Even when my house was buglarized in Miami they didn't touch the stereo equipment. Just trashed the place and took the ex wife's jewelry box.

It's often kids. More "professional" B&E's are done in better neighborhoods than I can afford to live in. :)

We had an idea that was never implemented. Recording of a barking dog, edit for 2 channel stereo. Have speakers in rooms on either side of the door. System connected to the doorbell. The crooks will ring the bell first to make sure no one is home and that would set off the sound of a barking dog running back and forth between the speakers.

Alarm system and insurance. I also don't advertise that I have anything valuable so there's really no reason to bother looking in here. Better off robbing a house without a homeless encampment half a block from my front door.

I drive the crappiest car within a two mile radius of my home. I keep a little junk visible in the garage. And, my security patrol buddy planted a couple of signs in from of my house. So far, so good. My neighbor who has expensive cars had a break in not too long ago.

Make your house look like a mess. Let the grass grow up, put a couple cars in the front yard on blocks, scatter some old washers, dryers, refrigerators and stoves around the yard. Pile garbage everywhere. They'll just figure that those people don't have anything and move on to the next house.

My trick was to move out to the country. The area we live in has one way in, and one way out. Once you get into the neighborhood, it literally can be shut closed within a minute. Also, we have 5 police people who live in the neighborhood. My guess is the police live where the crime is low. Several times I have left the house with the garage door open by mistake. Come back 4-5 days later and the door is still open, along with the entry door into the house. Nothing is touched. I LOVE IT HERE!!!!

Forget engraving your SS# on the equip; if they steal that they have you critical ID info. Driver license, maybe

Um....You really DON'T want to screw with real wolverines which are VERY dangerous, have a really high metabolism so they can keep biting you for hours. They are in the same family as Weasels and Ferrets. In most places even owning a weasel is against the law. Weasels are the smallest mammal predators. They can kill a rabbit 10 times their size.

lot cheaper than buying/feeding/caring for a dog heavier than me:

wire and hide a dash cam ($25) that has motion detector.
buy a proximity alarm and record some bass-tenor dog growling
put up signs like glock dealer, AK47s repaired here, samurai swords sharpened.
BIG food bowl with "KILLER" stenciled in on the side.

and for real stuff when I lived in the most dangerous city in the world
1. replace all external door locks that need inside key to open
(use house key on inside when home)
2. on all other doors hide key but make EVERYONE know where and how to use
3. put cameras everywhere - older/used/replaced Android phone are perfect

in that city the burglars use auto tools to grab and twist/snap the cylinders off
in about 5 seconds. that's why the bolted welded shields over the locks. then
there's the scene in superman 1, when margot opens the door with 5 locks
inside joke among Metropolis citizens

True story, i've got a storage unit here in the UK that was at the time absolutely rammed full of equipment, all quality stuff, no bpc, lots of vintage studio gear, mixers, effects ect. We had a break in whilst I was away and for a few days they were going in and out taking stuff. Lost around 20 bicycles and a few tools, maybe £800/1000 worth at most(did me a huge favour, I was never going to do anything with the bikes and needed space) but didn't even touch the audio stuff, the mint Akai S950 sampler sitting right by the door worth about 400 alone? Stacks of HH and Crown power amps?An expensive EAW subwoofer? Pair of Rogers Ls3's? Completely untouched. Believe me when I say that this equipment is just old junk to the average person.
Another reason to go vintage!! “Who wants that old junk?”

Where I live I'd say I have a greater chance of a 1000 lb brown bear breaking down the door and ransacking the place, but they are going for the fridge not the stereo.

My advice for those living in crime areas to have gear that weighs a lot, JBL, big k-horns and the like. Heavy power amps makes them much harder to pack out.

The problem with firearms is someone has to be around for them to be effective, while being away, firearms are themselves a sought after target for a thief.

Back
Top Bottom