John Prine

Dan ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Peanut Head
Last night I, along with some friends, went to see John Prine at the Memphis Orpheum.
He put on a fantastic show....playing new songs along as several oldies going back to his
early days of songwriting. His band was fantastic, adding the right amount of backup with
his acoustic guitar, dbl bass, Fender bass, Telecaster and Guild guitar, steel guitar, violin, mandolin, drums and
when called up to rock, they did! At one point, Prine threw down his guitar and danced around it!

prine_4381.jpg

WOW, that picture of him makes me feel REEL OLD. I can remember going to see him at the Earl of Old Town in Chicago when I was a teen. He often played with Steve Goodman, God rest his sole. I picked up that crazy double picking from them, it was just part of the learning at the Ear at that time. Glad you had a chance to see him he's a true artist.

John Prine is an American treasure. I'm convinced if he had a better manager and promoter, he'd be bigger than Dylan! After what happened with tom Petty, I'll make sure I see JP whenever humanly possible! Already seen him 3-4 times.

WOW, that picture of him makes me feel REEL OLD. I can remember going to see him at the Earl of Old Town in Chicago when I was a teen. He often played with Steve Goodman, God rest his sole.

Same here & @ the same venue. Maybe we saw each other @ TEOOT @ one of those performances? But I didn't pick (heh heh) up my ifnger-picking technique from the North Side folkies; no, that I learned @ the feet of the South Side Bluesmen.

Last night I, along with some friends, went to see John Prine at the Memphis Orpheum.
He put on a fantastic show....playing new songs along as several oldies going back to his
early days of songwriting. His band was fantastic, adding the right amount of backup with
his acoustic guitar, dbl bass, Fender bass, Telecaster and Guild guitar, steel guitar, violin, mandolin, drums and
when called up to rock, they did! At one point, Prine threw down his guitar and danced around it!

prine_4381.jpg

Glad to read that Prine's fine Dan. I really need to see him while he's still with us.

He was much more animated than I would have suspected.

He was not that way when he was younger, not as I can recall. Also seems fairly low-key @ the various utoob vids I've watched of him over the years, but then I'm watching him perform his more melancholic material, e.g., "Far From Me" or "Hello In There". Did he play one or both of these numbers @ the show you saw?

P.S. meant to include mention of "Donald & Lydia", another favourite.

He did Hello In There and Angel From Montgomery.

Nice. I love everything about "Hello In There": the tremendously moving lyrics, the melody, the picking form & its rhythmic quality, and of course the manner in which his voice expresses those moving lyrics.

Great singer/songwriter!! One of the finest. I saw him in the 70's in DC and in Maine in the 80's.

One of my favorites. I've seen him 7 or 8 times, first in 1977 at Summerfest, Milwaukee. Here he is doing an encore with Corky Siegel. I also got to see Steve Goodman a couple of times. What a great pair of guys.
upload_2018-9-20_7-8-26.jpeg

Today Sept 20th is the 34th anniversary of Steve Goodman's death. The number of albums Steve completed in his short life was unprecedented.

Back
Top Bottom