Today The Pig Starts A New Career

Congrats Mr.Pig on your new career path, not easy to make a adjustment like that at 50 and your attitude sounds very good. You beat the odds.

Wife and I made a similar change 10 years ago,
Money down, quality of life up.
Not 1 second of regret.

Enjoy the new sty.

I am glad to hear you have a new gig. You are lucky to have a working wife to cover the school time and dead time. I know what the odd hours and long hours can do to a fella..ahh....err pig. I made it 39 years as the sole breadwinner and now retired and loving it.

Who says pigs can't fly? You're taken off to another altitude at an age where most are afraid to leave their comfort zone. Props to you Mr. Pig!

Congrats Mr.Pig! I live in Dupont and after working for the Federal Reserve Bank for 28 years before being laid off its been courier, stock and inventory type of jobs for me. The landed a job here at Amazon and I was pretty excited but then got hurt lifting a 65lb lawnmower in a box and its now been more than 2 years. Been eyeing going back to school but I am 10 years older then you and this new tech stuff is honestly too much for me to learn, not that I haven't tried either.

So good luck to ya and have fun and enjoy the family!!

Congratulations, Mr. Pig. I wish you luck. At 46, I'm eyeballing a less-money, more life approach myself.

I'm nearing 50 and in the last 5 years I have had four jobs. Previous to that I was employed long term by a government organisation.

I can't help feeling lucky that even in these days of rapidly advancing technology, I'm still employable with my skill set.

Good to hear your story Mr Pig, keep on truckin' :)

Congratulations!

I made a similar career change, due to what was called "organizational dynamics" and corporate responses to "competitive pressures", in 2009. In my case, the new position was well outside of my education, skill sets and process knowledge. While it was a significant paradigm shift, I prospered in the position and shook off my concerns regarding performing the job duties at a high level.

Eight years later I retired. So don't tell me an old dog can't learn new tricks. :D

Good luck, Mister Pig. I'm "rootin" for ya.

Congratulations from another (ex) state-er!
I made a similar change from manufacturing to state employment 20+ yrs ago, and am SO glad I did!
I was able to move from agency to agency (in IT) over time, and gained amazing insights (mostly from process re-engineering projects) about 'gubbermint' vs. private sector (eg, all large organizations suck b/c of the medi-ocracy of their organizational limits), but also truly amazed at the dedication of many really overworked state and local folks who do very difficult things for little money and less respect (child protective services and retail food safety come to mind) - granted that might be a bit tougher at DOR, but, still, keep your eyes open for transfer opportunities!
While the salaries were/are far below equivalent private sector careers; in this state at least, the extremely well run pension system allowed me 'exit early' when the 'idiot manager quotient' got beyond my ability to tolerate.
Best wishes!!!!

The porcine community are all happy for you sir.

VBnsOdM.jpg

Congrats, John. Two years ago, after 30 years in the private sector, including 2 layoffs and 2.5 years of self-employment, I took a government job and could not be happier. I won't get rich, but the job is stable, the stress is much lower, and I work with a staff of amazing professionals. And believe me, you cannot put a value on a low stress environment.

I hope your government experience proves to be as rewarding.

Back
Top Bottom