Dual 1219 rebuild...

r_deming

Well I forgot how frustrating/amazing it is to work on a Dual! Talk about a well put together machine. This is my 4th dual thrift find, sadly they were sold a while back.
The only reason I gambled on this table was because the motor actually spun, the speed mechanism wasn't shattered into a million pieces, and it had the cartridge sled and the center spindle!
The platter didn't spin, none of the automation worked, the arm height adjustment was jammed, and the tonearm was binding when you moved it manually.
So far I have cleaned up the dried grease and taken apart as much of the linkage that i feel comfortable with and relubed all the moving parts. Degreased and relubed the speed selector/idler assembly(the idler assembly was giving me a hell of a time as it was really gummed up and would stop the main switch from powering off). cleaned and oiled the main bearing. I replaced the sleeve washer that holds the bearings for the "single/multi" function, and that actually cured the tonearm binding situation. The only thing left is finish the motor bearings.
So far it is looking good. all functions are working when the platter is spun manually. Once the motor is back together I can get a full test drive.
The base is a little beat, so maybe in the next month I'll try to put together a layered plinth.

Which 1219 do you have? There were two versions. Early and later. Up until last year I had seen later ones. The height adjustment crew by the back of the tonearm is quite noticeable. Earlier models the screw is hidden back there. There is a second adjustment underneath that raises the arm. The paddle the stuerpimple (clutch) rides on is different.

Fixed two 1219s today. Replaced the stuerpimple on my later one. Originally it was to be a parts unit. Found a speed selector for it. It was too good to junk. Cosmetically it perfect. Regreased and did the motor. Sounds good.

Now that Florence is here, it gave me time out of the yard, I was able to work on an early 1219. Mint and a customers. Bought in Germany. Has all wood cabinet. Nice better cabinet that the United Audio US crappy ones. I replaced the stuerpimple once. The arm will drop on the record. At the end it would not fully return to the post. Today I put a another stuerpimple in. It's from Germany. Better, it's close to getting all the way back to the post. Plays great. It's stops if I start auto return at the center of the record. At the end of the record it doesn't always shut off. At the end of my "free" time I looked at the back of the arm where it pivots. I will likely get flamed for trying this. I looked at the back of the arm where it pivots. I took some contact cleaner, sprayed it. The arm is totally free and returns all the way back to the post.

Good luck with your 1219. I have worked on many Dual's. Over the years I have come to like the 1219 the best. My later 1219 has a German cabinet. One of two I have seen. Found an early 1219 with a broken arm. It was way to good to junk. Let go of my 1229 to free up some $$$ for another project. Put the early 1219 in the livingroom. Have the third 1219 going. Need to find a home. Need to thin the ranks. Trouble is, that early 1219 my customer owns is really nice. Would like it. And now it works perfectly. Got to put it back togather and call him. He needs to pick it up. Or it will never leave.

Once you get that motor done, your 1219 will run a long time. My 1219 in my Avatar was overhauled 5 years by me.
Haven't had an issue since. Did have to replace a NOS N55 stylus. It's my daily driver. Going to pop a record on now. 11 o'clock Tues night. Have fun with the 1219!

looks like mine is a later model.
I got the motor done, fired it up and it seized! shut it down and luckily I had 2 more dual motors from previous donor tables. I just need to slap on a cartridge and test it out. table went from nothing working and now everything is moving as it should. Again I just need to play some records and give it a bath!

Back
Top Bottom