Great Harmonies...

saggy

These go to 11
I'm a big fan of harmony. Wilson Phillps are some of my favorites - don't laugh at me! But it makes sense that other harmonies I enjoy are Mamas/Papas, Eagles, B-52s, Indigo Girls, CSN(and sometimes Y), and, of course, The Beatles (The Monkees, too, fwiw). There are obv others but those are the first that came to mind.

I was just listening to the Eagles cover of Seven Bridges Road and wanted to find out if (a) you guys like that tune, too, and (b) if there are others that move you the way this one does; it buries itself deep in your stomach and reverberates for some time.

I'm specifically asking for SONGS, but I'm happy to hear if there are bands or albums that you feel are indicative of this sound.

Simon on Graceland (I forgot the names of all the players) black lady mombasa rings a bell?

John Prine.
For better or worse
And
In spite of ourselves

It goes without saying, almost anything by Brian Wilson deserves mention. But one simple tune with outstanding harmony that comes to mind is Crosby, Stills and Nash, Guinevere from their first album.

I loved Simon and Garfunkle. Almost anything by them, particularly "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme" and "Sounds of Silence"
I like Art's solo albums especially when joined by Leah Kunkel...sister of drummer Russ...anyway I like her voice.

I, too, enjoy the Wilson Phillips harmony presentation. CSN&Y are another group with great harmony.

The Eagles put out a live Farewell I CD/DVD some years ago that, for a live concert, contains some fantastic harmony.

Mark Knopfler & James Taylor teamed up for the title track to the "Sailing to Philadelpia" album in 2000 which is some great harmony. Van Morrison also jumps in on a few songs from the same album. Well worth a listen.

There are some very enjoyable harmonies to be found on First Aid Kit's "The Lion's Roar" and "Stay Gold" albums. These two sisters blend very well together and the music is extremely enjoyable.

For a quieter, almost acapella, presentation check out Agnes Obel. With Agnes in the lead and her adding other performers results in a blending of light voices and simple instruments which is most captivating.

Nikko Case, k.d. lang & Laura Veirs teamed up last year and made a CD titled, "Case, lang & Veirs" and there is also a live concert available here:

There is some great harmony and performer synergy within that group.

There's a lot more out there but hopefully this gives you some groups, albums and singles to explore.

Rossington Collins band/ Pine box. When this came out it reminded me a lot of Seven Bridges Road. Both give me big time goose bumps. ;)

Back
Top Bottom